Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 1:09pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Urgent can anyone tell me what happens if,,, »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Urgent can anyone tell me what happens if,,,
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Urgent can anyone tell me what happens if,,,  (Read 1252 times)
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

Urgent can anyone tell me what happens if,,,
« on: Mar 7th, 2008, 1:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

triptan s are used with Basilar migraines???  The fucking ditz at tbe neuro tried to tell me migranal WAS  tripan - IT'S A FUCKING ERGOT FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.

When ito cmes to seizures this guy is tops - NOT when it comes to headeaches.  My primary is away next week, I nkow someone brought this up before....for God's sake he'w 16 - how much more can mother and son take.

Oh yeah not supposed to go there, but guess what if weren't for my kid I'd be long dead.

PLEASE HELP ME, ANYTHING SOMETHING PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cat

(posted on general board too)
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2008, 10:26am by catlind » IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

Re: Urgent can anyone tell me what happens uf,,,
« Reply #1 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 1:33pm »

Wish I could help you, Cat. I simply don't know.

I do know that Migranal is DHE in nasal spray form, and I know what the "E" stands for.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 1:46pm »

As posted on general board - its dangerous

http://www.s-2000.com/bam/bam_treatment.html

hope it helps

helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 1:51pm »

THe hilarious thing  in all this and yes I can find humour anywhere - I damn near made her look it up.  How frightening when your attending nurse tells you a DHE is a Tripan....

oh and those adds on tv, the ones about 'cymbalta;or any 'celecxs' etc etc. - RATER CLEARLY STATE DO NO USE IN  CHILDREN UNDER THE 18. Guess they all missed that warniing akong with the lable listing migranal as DHE......

I want to pull someone's hair out.but NOT MINE
IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 8th, 2008, 9:57am »

You can find the good doctors name here :
http://www.healthgrades.com/directory_search/physician/profiles/dr-md-re ports/Dr-Ivan-Pavkovic-DO-47204120.cf

He is an excellent (as far as I can tell) pediatric neuro  -for seizures - his ditz of a nurse is something else...

Thank you all of you, without all of you I would have totally lost my mind and done something criminal I'm sure.

Again, I thank you.    I have my arsenal, I have my facts, I have the journal articles to put in her face after I see  ,my pediatrician.

Helen you know, and Ben knows, and countless others I'm sure, what the pain is like to suffer on our own, but I'll be go to hell (all me friends are there anyway hehe) if I'm going to let some nitwit dizt of a c-unt (and anyone who knows me knows I DO NOT USE THE C WORD) is going to pay hell for this one.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2008, 9:13pm by catlind » IP Logged

kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

« Reply #5 on: Mar 8th, 2008, 2:38pm »

My neuro told me the same thing about DHE a couple weeks ago.....that it is a triptan!  I thought it was something to do with histamine desensitization.  I don't know
IP Logged
cash5542
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

cash5542

« Reply #6 on: Mar 8th, 2008, 10:32pm »

Lisa was given dhe injections in the hospital then migranol to take home. Her nuerologist knew what it was and said this would be more convient than the injections. Unfortunately, it didn't work near as well as the shots.

I do not have CH and would do anything I could to take the pain from my child. It is a pain that is more intense than anything I have felt. My heart goes out to you!

Charlotte
IP Logged
jace77
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Mar 9th, 2008, 5:04am »

on Mar 8th, 2008, 2:38pm, kevmd wrote:
My neuro told me the same thing about DHE a couple weeks ago.....that it is a triptan!  I thought it was something to do with histamine desensitization.  I don't know

not  histamine desensitaztion, DHE it is a vasoconstrictor (sp)
the histamine is a totally different procedure, you are hospitalized with it for 7-10 days and they basically overload you body with histamines so you do not react to them with CH.  These at one point in time were called histamine headaches.
IP Logged
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

Re: Urgent can anyone tell me what happens if,,,
« Reply #8 on: Mar 9th, 2008, 11:58am »

Just a quick note to apologize for my atrocious spelling (if you can even call it that) - my only excuse is that I find it hard to find 'home row' (for you typists out there) when there are tears of fear and rage flowing down my face - and I sure as hell can't see the screen hehe.

Thank you all, you have no idea just how much you all mean to me, and knowing I had somewhere to go when things went  haywire.

You have my sincere and indebted gratitude and appreciation.

Cat
IP Logged

Superdave
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Mar 9th, 2008, 12:47pm »

You go Cat,
And why the hell can't we get a spell checker on these confounded message boards? Shocked
We would all seem a lot more intellijent Undecided

Superdave Cool
IP Logged

Wow! you mean it's just in my head?
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #10 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 1:33pm »

If I remember correctly triptans with basilar migraine can cause death.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #11 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 2:16pm »

on Mar 9th, 2008, 12:47pm, Superdave wrote:
And why the hell can't we get a spell checker on these confounded message boards? Shocked
We would all seem a lot more intellijent Undecided

Superdave - Perhaps you'd like to contact DJ and find out how much something like that would cost, in both time and money, to implement. Then you could volunteer your time and/or open your checkbook. Cool
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #12 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 8:24pm »

on Mar 10th, 2008, 1:33pm, thomas wrote:
If I remember correctly triptans with basilar migraine can cause death.

Yes and with DHE being a strong vasoconstrictor, I shouldn't think it would be a good idea, either.  

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/561217_6

Quote:
Contraindications and Precautions

The use of DHE is contraindicated in patients with ischemic heart disease, coronary artery vasospasm, hypertension, sepsis, vascular disease, and severe renal or hepatic dysfunction. It should not be administered to patients with hemiplegic or basilar migraines.

When warnings about vasoconstrictive medications are mentioned, ergot preparations (like DHE) are usually mentioned right along with triptans.    

It is still inexcusable for a medical professional who helps treat patients with these drugs not to know the difference, but maybe that is where the confusion comes in for some people.  

IP Logged
Superdave
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 9:50pm »

on Mar 10th, 2008, 2:16pm, brewcrew wrote:

Superdave - Perhaps you'd like to contact DJ and find out how much something like that would cost, in both time and money, to implement. Then you could volunteer your time and/or open your checkbook. Cool

Word Prossesor          
 Copy  

Message Board
  Paste
IP Logged

Wow! you mean it's just in my head?
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 10:36pm »

Thanks Mike, and yes you are correct, DHE is also contraindicated.  

I contacted Teri Roberts and read up on her site about Basilar Migraines, and there is a possibility that is what he has.  I can see now why they were uncertain whether it was a seizure disorder or basilar migraine.

I'm in the process of gathering info and making appts with his pediatrician who is the best on the planet in my opinion, as well as getting copies of his CT's, MRI's and EEG's and all copies from hospitals etc.  

I've let doctors screw up and mess around with my life and health more than once, I will NOT allow it to happen to my children.  The Devil and Hell itself steps aside when a mother is pissed off about her child's care potentially causing death....

I just had to gather my self and get my facts and information and put the emotion aside so that I can go in with a clear head and knowledge and let them know why I believe they are wrong and have potentially risked my son's life.

I think it's true of every mother, once they get over the emotion and knee jerk terror and rage, they set their sites and woe be he who ends up in the cross hairs.

It's for this very kind of situation that I thank the universe for giving us people like DJ and Teri (and countless others) and their undying relentless fight to inform and improve care for those who suffer.

I hope that each and every one of you goes to sleep this night knowing that you have contributed in some way shape or form to saving the life of a 16 y/o boy.  And NO I'm not being melodramatic.

Cat (who will in every way pay it forward)
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss