Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 4:49am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « RELPAX miracle »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   RELPAX miracle
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: RELPAX miracle  (Read 997 times)
GonnabeatemJudi
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

RELPAX miracle
« on: Mar 11th, 2008, 1:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It works for me everytime!  Took 40 mg before bed at first, now only take 20 and no beast!  Sleep all night and sadly, shadows while I am up, but NO BEAST!  
Try it, what do you have to lose?  It is a triptan med.  
PF wishes,
Judi
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

Re: RELPAX miracle
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 1:35pm »

Glad that it's working for you.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 3:27pm »

Really happy to hear that you've found something that's working well for you, Judi.  Getting some measure of control over this thing is absolutely liberating.

Best wishes,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
cash5542
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

cash5542

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 5:26pm »

I have been dealing with migraines for the past 35 years and have seen meds come and go. Nothing really stopped the migraine from coming and the past 10 years some meds have lessened the severity. A year or two ago I was given relpax and it has aborted a migraine within 20 min. to the point I could work. Usually I had to go in a dark room and sleep it off for at least 3 hrs., even with imitrex. Before she had o2 and we were figuring out the CH her doctor gave these to my daughter who has CH and found it could abort a hit in 10 min. , especially if chased with a redbull. She carries a can of redbull with a relpax taped to the bottom in her purse in case of emergency. I know all meds don't work for everyone but I love Relpax too. I'm glad you found releif.

Charlotte

Note, if you do use it be sure not to use any other triptans like imitrex within 24 to 48 hrs. Check with your doctor to be sure.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2008, 5:27pm by cash5542 » IP Logged
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 5:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I was told by my doctor that I needed to be very careful about taking Relpax on a regular basis because it could cause rebound headaches.  Is that just more bullshit????  

Cause this is the completly the opposite advice Judi is getting " to take nightly"
 I agree, it worked really well, and I would love to take atleast as needed but he had me freaking out due to the fact that I already dealt with rebounds once before and I never want to go through that again.
Anyone know whether this is true or not?
IP Logged
cash5542
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

cash5542

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 5:28pm »

I have heard that too. The other thing I questioned was using relpax as a preventitive. It is supposed to be an abortive med like imitrex, used at first onset. I had to BEG to get a prescription of 18/month. The usual dosing is 9/month.

Charlotte
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 5:33am »

I first read about the nightly use of triptans as a prevent in a study on Naratriptan (Amerge).  Since then I've tried to balance that study againt the conventional wisdom here on the board and the opinions of Drs like Rozen and Goadsby who recommend against daily use of triptans for CH.

I think it may come down to two things.  

a) We are all individuals.  Some are going to be more susceptable to rebound HA than others.  Beach, you may fall into this camp and your Dr is smart to try and keep you out of trouble.

b) When we think of rebound from triptans I think most of this comes from Sumatriptan (Imitrex/Imigran) overuse.  The newer triptans like Amerge, Relpax and Maxalt have lower side effects compared to Sumatriptan so you are less likely to suffer rebounds from these meds.  

Of course that is not to say that it won' t happen.  See point 'a'  Wink

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 5:59am »

listening and a learning   Wink  
IP Logged
Trooper
New Board Junior
USA 

I ain't skeert!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 10:59pm »

Funny. My doc gave me a script for Relpax last year because he said there is less likelihood of rebound with Relpax than Imitrex. I personally think the Relpax pharmacy rep. must have just been by to see him.
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 10:30am »

According to the studies I've read your Dr was right.  The newer triptans have lower risk of side effects including rebound.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

beachmusic

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 11:39am »

glad I just got mine refilled then.  If I need it I will not worry so much about taking it anymore!!! Cheesy
IP Logged
GonnabeatemJudi
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: RELPAX miracle - not so much....
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 8:07pm »

Whaaaaa..... ran out and had two in a row that night.  Devilish shadows and grumpy about it.   Angry
4 replax cost $36.00 and THAT IS RIDICULOUS!  Doc said we may need to go to preventive meds.  I AINT!  
No steroids or calcium channel blockers for this woman.  I am back to Melatonin b4 bed and if wake with the beast, I down 20 mg or 1/2 of my relpax with a RedBull and so far that is working.  Relief in 10 minutes.  I am so sick sick sick frigging sick of it all.  The beast, the shadows, the meds, the intrusion into my life.  My poor kids and husband.  I cant afford to keep the relpax in stock.  Man, every time I think I got it beat something happens and like in Poltergeist  
ITS BACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
PF wishes,   Judi Embarassed
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 8:10pm »

No O2?

-Dennis-
IP Logged

GonnabeatemJudi
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 7:13am »

I am praying that CH is gonna stop soon, but if not... perhaps O2 -  I have read that it only lessens the severity.  What does it do for you?   Judi
IP Logged
superhawk2300
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 9:10am »

When my GP told me he thought I had CH and not sinus headaches he gave me Relpax samples.

It was the first med I was on and the one that still works best for me and my fav. No rebounds when I use the Pax.  

I love the Pax! [kissing presciption bottle]

IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 11:59am »

I rely mostly on O2.  It's the best abortive with the least side effects of anything I've tried.  You can get reattacks where the beast comes back after a short while but this isn't the rule.  Combining O2 with an energy drink works 90% of the time for me.

Only if this combo fails do I fall back on Imitrex injections.

If you haven't tried it you really should.  

-Dennis-
IP Logged

GonnabeatemJudi
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #16 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 12:14pm »

Thanks for that Dennis... will keep O2 in mind if the current R&R combo stops working.  It seems like I get the beast licked and have a great treatment then... you know the drill.  I assume this happens to everyone now that I have read more of the posts.  God Bless!

To all-

R&R (RedBull&Relpax) combo works to abort attack -  

Thank you for the tip!  

PF Wishes - R&R,

Judi Wink
IP Logged
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: RELPAX miracle - not so much....
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 12:39pm »

on Mar 15th, 2008, 8:07pm, GonnabeatemJudi wrote:

Doc said we may need to go to preventive meds.  I AINT!  
No steroids or calcium channel blockers for this woman.  

How come, Judi?  I must've missed where you mentioned this before.

Charlotte
IP Logged
PollyPocket
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Someone I am is waiting for my courage.

Yennyfur_D  
WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 7:42pm »

I'll play devil's advocate here.....

Relpax caused me NOTHING but rebounds from hell!  yep, stopped it fairly quickly, but within 1/2 hour I was in more pain than the original hit.

I'm stickin to o2. Less than 10 minutes and gone, no rebound, no side effects.

just my  twocents
IP Logged

“Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It's all about timing.” - Stacey Charter

"If I don't remember it happening, it never happened. Wink " - Tori
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #19 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 6:15am »

I had 2 grand  nights then night before last at 6 I felt it coming.  Broke a 40 mg Relpax in half and felt like a new woman.  It worked!! Grin   Pain free in 10  mins.  
Next night,  hit hard again at the same time.  Tried it again, 1/2 tablet and it didn't touch it. Shocked Shocked    20 min later took the other 1/2,   nothing.   Shocked  1 hour later I was running around the house, climbing the walls!!  Took TWO (2) fiorinal  and YEAH that worked I passed out!!!  and on top of that I slept for the first time in 2 1/2 months for more than 4 hours at a time.  Was that a rebound?  I dunno,  if not I am sure I will start getting them for the firoinal now.  Not really sure I care.  Just wanna see my doctor tomorrow.  I personally feel so much of this could have been prevented or at the least eased had he been available to me during this mess!!!
I want the O2,  I want the zomig, I want a better preventive, I want to drive again.  I want my life back.  
Then again don't we all.
Thanks everybody for being here!!!!!
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2008, 6:17am by beachmusic » IP Logged
GonnabeatemJudi
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #20 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 1:04pm »

Hi Charlotte - I do not want to take any drugs. Period.  I do not like them Sam I am.  I do not want to be in pain.  I do not want headache again.  I do not want to take the med.  I just want to sleep all night in my bed.

(How do ya like my poem?)  I am an herbal person and try not to even take tylenol.  Since the beast,  that has changed somewhat.  However, drugs with the least side effects only for this girl.  

PF Wishes R&R,

Judi
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #21 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 1:20pm »

I'll repeat, O2 is the magic answer if that is the way you feel.
O2 knocks out 75-80% of my hits in less than 10 minutes. For those that persist, a little shot of imitrex and I'm back in the ballgame.
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
GonnabeatemJudi
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #22 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 7:33am »

Hi to all,

I am in remission!  I will pray for all of you still suffering and offer my Masses for you all as well.  I hope that your pf days and nights are right around the corner...

God Bless!

Peace & Prayer,

Judi
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss