Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 10:50pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Rhodiola stops my headaches.  <-IMPORTANT »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Rhodiola stops my headaches.  <-IMPORTANT
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rhodiola stops my headaches.  <-IMPORTANT  (Read 7255 times)
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

Re: Rhodiola stops my headaches.  <-IMPORTANT
« Reply #25 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 4:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Quote:
R. rosea may affect emotional tone by influencing neurotransmitter monoamine levels (NE, DA, 5-HT) in nerve tracts involved in the regulation of mood, anxiety, and emotion in the amygdala, hippocampus, hypothalamus, and midbrain. The stimulation of nicotinic cholinergic activity in the emotional circuits of the limbic system (in the temporal lobe) may also contribute to these effects. Alterations in monoamine levels underlie this complex spectrum of psychotropic activity: stimulating, tranquilizing, anti-stress, and antidepressant.

And there you have it. Go stimulatin the hypothalamus it's going to screw with the demon.
I know this, stimulants seem to keep the demon down. Sedatives seem to trigger or piss him off. Never relax ever.
Good luck with your R.rosea, and do be careful. It is also recommended to consult with your doc before taking this and any herbal alternative. Should have seen the docs face when I told him what I was doing. That was precious.
all the best
thebb
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2008, 4:29pm by thebbz » IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

Re: Rhodiola stops my headaches.  <-IMPORT
« Reply #26 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 5:09pm »

on Mar 21st, 2008, 9:16am, monty wrote:

I agree with the first sentence - natural is not necessarily safe.  But what is the basis for believing that it is likely more dangerous than prescription drugs?  ....  but think it is emotional and illogical to assume that it is likely more dangerous than prescription meds.    

No, biologically it may not be any more or less dangerous than prescription meds, but what makes its use potentially more dangerous is the lack of knowledge and research and insurance.  

As a consumer, if you take a medication prescribed by a registered doctor and something bad happens to you, you are covered both by the insurance of the manufacturing pharmaceutical company as well as the doctors' indemnity insurance. My insurance covers my patient up to 10M per person in case of mishap.  

Do you get any insurance at all buying and consuming natural herbs from a herbalist ? No.  

Let compare 2 real cases that have been published on the newspapers here. One lady was given Gentamycin for a sinus infection and developed vestibular nerve damage which caused chronic vertigo and hearing loss. She was given more than a million dollars in compensation. Another lady bought some chinese herbal medicine in the form of tea for menstruation pain and headache, developed acute toxic hepatitis and ended up with liver cirrhosis. She lost her health, her hair, her job ... and no compensation. Both cases were rare. There are thousands of people who have taken both without any problem. However, there is no way to foretell if you are going to be the unlucky odd one out. With your family, children ... to care for, can you afford it?  

That is what makes "natural medicine" dangerous, not just their biological effects or compositions.  
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

Re: Rhodiola stops my headaches.
« Reply #27 on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 10:40am »

on Mar 22nd, 2008, 5:09pm, Annette wrote:

As a consumer, if you take a medication prescribed by a registered doctor and something bad happens to you, you are covered both by the insurance of the manufacturing pharmaceutical company as well as the doctors' indemnity insurance. My insurance covers my patient up to 10M per person in case of mishap.  

Do you get any insurance at all buying and consuming natural herbs from a herbalist ? No.  

Let compare 2 real cases that have been published on the newspapers here.  

Lets compare that to the case of Trasylol (aprotinin), a medicine from Bayer that is used to prevent blood clotting.  The manufacturers with held information about side effects for decades, and even as the evidence started to mount, the government regulators were reluctant to pull approval.  

Some doctors have estimated that trasylol has resulted in the deaths of 22,000 people.  Where is the insurance that you speak of?  Are they really going to identify the thousands of people injured or killed and make right with them or their survivors financially?  I find that hard to believe.  

Don't know how it is in Oz, but here, doctors and pharmaceutical companies have insurance to protect themselves, not their patients. Patients that are injured generally need to file a lawsuit, which is a drawn out process of fighting. It is exceeding rare to find a doctor, hospital or drug manufacturer that will admit error and voluntarily pay reparations. Most medical errors are swept under the rug with the hopes that patients will give up.  

IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #28 on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 5:50pm »

on Mar 23rd, 2008, 10:40am, monty wrote:

Don't know how it is in Oz, but here, doctors and pharmaceutical companies have insurance to protect themselves, not their patients. Patients that are injured generally need to file a lawsuit, which is a drawn out process of fighting. It is exceeding rare to find a doctor, hospital or drug manufacturer that will admit error and voluntarily pay reparations. Most medical errors are swept under the rug with the hopes that patients will give up.  

The indemnity insurance is set up to protect patients not the doctors. If the cases are handled wrong then its the fault of the legal system, not of the doctors or the reason behind having insurance in the first place.

Your whole argument is incorrect. You are saying just because there are cases where the people dont get paid out that the whole insurance system should be discounted as invalid. That is not right.

If I am driving my car on the road, I would prefer to drive where other drivers and cars all have insurance, if that is possible. If and when an accident does happen, whether or not my claim will be successful depends on a whole lot of other factors. However, I would be at least having a chance of getting some compensation, compared to driving my car where no one has any insurance whatsoever.

In Australia, most cases are handled out of court to reduce cost. Most cases receive a pay out as long as there is real injuries or damages, even when the doctor isnt really at fault.  

One case I know of, involving my colleague. His patient had neck pain but didnt want to take medication for it. He asked the doctor about alternative treatment and the doctor referred him to a chiropractor. Unfortunately the chiropractor did the wrong thing on the 3rd treatment, snapped his neck and caused permanent nerve damage as well as a slipped disc. The chiropractor didnt have insurance so he skipped town. The referral doctor was sued instead and had to pay out a substantial amount ( I dont know exactly how much ) because " he should have followed procedures and trialled some medication before referring to alternative treatments" and that " he should have checked that the chiropractor he referred the patient to was reputable and practicisng with insurance". The doctor was advised by the Judge that although the above expectation of a referral doctor is not fair, the patient had suffered permanent damages which could have been avoided, had the doctor followed strict procedural rules instead of what the patient requested, therefore he should be compensated.  
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #29 on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 6:29pm »

The dr's here have to have insurance to protect themselves.  

Thank you, Paul, for researching and trying this.  Right now, I am also one who is interested in something else to try when my current meds stop working.

Thank you, Annette.  I did have the info printed out to take to my neuro to discuss, but your points got my attention.  I need to do more reading.  

Charlotte
IP Logged
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #30 on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 7:37pm »

on Mar 23rd, 2008, 5:50pm, Annette wrote:

Your whole argument is incorrect. You are saying just because there are cases where the people dont get paid out that the whole insurance system should be discounted as invalid.  

No, I am saying that your argument does not apply to most of the world.  In the US, the liability insurance companies are paid by the doctors and pharmaceutical companies, and they represent the doctors and corporations, not the patients. It's not that the insurance system here (and presumably in many other countries, I don't know) fails from time to time - the way things are set up, it would be a conflict of interest for them to care much about the patient. So when a patient accuses a doctor of malpractice, the insurance companies try to undermine their credibility, or drag the matter out for as many years as possible.  

And you seem to be dodging my point - this month, we find that perhaps 20,000 people were killed when a pharmaceutical company with held information indicting its (very profitable) product.  It wasn't long ago that we heard that another pharmaceutical company caused an estimated 100,000 heart attacks (estimated 1/3 to 1/2 of them fatal) when it concealed information about their product so it would stay on the market.  It seems to me that both the alternative and mainstream medical systems are corrupt, as they both involve human beings and greed.  

How many peer-refereed medical journal articles are out there on using taurine or red-bull for managing cluster headache and migraine?  How many on kudzu??  The emphasis really seems to be focused on developing new triptans or some other medicine that can be patented and sold for thousands of dollars per patient per year.  It's great to say "ask your doctor" about alternatives, but for the most part, they are not informed and not interested.  
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #31 on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 9:09pm »

I do take info to my neuro, doc, & pharmacist, and discussed kudzu with all of them before I went on it.  It worked for me for 14 months.  I used a liquid form with grain alcohol, but the company stopped making it and other forms and brands did not work for me.  

Fortunately, around this time verapamil did start working for me.  My doc did not want me to try verap again as I had had a virus and a heart abnormality was discovered a year ago, but the neuro eased my dosage up to 320 mg, and then refused to let me go higher, even though I really wanted more, lol.  It has been working for  14 months.  I dread when it stops.  

I only discussed Red Bull with my neuro and he monitors my usage and so far approves it.  I also discussed wormwood and some other herbs with him before using them, and also let him know when I stopped using them.

When I am about to try something new, I carry the literature with me and have all my medical contacts read it or just discuss it if they are already familiar.  I have found pharmacists to be extremely helpful, and a resource which is often overlooked.

Charlotte
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2008, 9:12pm by Charlotte » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss