Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 11:27am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Topamax side effects question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Topamax side effects question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Topamax side effects question  (Read 21174 times)
washed-out
New Board Newbie
Poland 

:]

Re: Topamax side effects question
« Reply #25 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 1:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

To be honest I haven't reported any weight loss... (which would be actually good for me).

Maybe not enough big doze yet? I've been taking 25mg for 2 months and now 2x25mg. But somehow it helped me pretty much, despite terrible side effects...  

Btw do you know where does that weight loss come from? I mean - does topiramat change metabolism or doesn't want to eat much while taking it? (actually my apetite is even bigger :<Wink
IP Logged
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #26 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 2:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I know some of us love the idea of losing some weight but trust me if you are experiencing "terrible" side effects on 25-50 mg. you will not like what will come with upping your dose.

But to answer your question~~~~ I believe the weight loss is due to a general loss of appetite.  Seriously, it is like that part of the brain just shuts down completly.  There have been times that I did feel more hungry but for the most part I cannot stand the mere thought of food.
I read where a mother of three young children actually had to set an alarm clock in order to remember to her feed her babies Shocked Shocked
Damned if I want to go back into a new cycle though!!!
IP Logged
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #27 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 9:21am »

on Apr 28th, 2008, 4:50pm, beachmusic wrote:
Tom,
I would be so interested in your story.  How many mgs. topamax you are taking and how long you were off before you got hit with a new cycle etc.  Did you start it right back up again and if so did it work?
I am fixing to see my neuro again in a couple of weeks and was seriously thinking of tapering off myself but you now have me reconsidering.  Last thing I want is a new cycle.  I am on 200mg. all taken at night but the side effects and the weight loss are pretty extreme.  Not to mention I am still having daily shadows.   Undecided
All ears here.... Mary Ann

Hi Mary Ann. I tapered down to 25 mg/day and  have ramped upto 75 mg/day. The most I ever took was 100 mg/day and it did wonders. I lost about 40 lbs and have kept it off. My appetite disapeared and that has taught me to control HOW huch I eat. In the beginning, the thought of eating was not there so it was easy to loose weight.  
I have a rather stressful job working in litigation keeping a large DC firm's databases up and running. I must say, the cognitive loss factor is tough but I am dealing. I take plenty of notes and ask questions. Luckily for me, I have a very good reputation at my office so if I call back and ask for a repeat no one questions me why.
The tingling stuff has mostly gone away. It was merely annoying.
The soda taste...so what. I switched to water. Better for me anyway.  
Here is a strange one. I don't sweat as much. I'm the guy who would sweat in the middle of winter just thinkinga bout slpitting firewood! Don't get me wrong, I still lose about 5 pounds [no lie] when I cut the grass in the middle of July but otherwise not like I did before.  
Hope this helps!
TomM
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2008, 9:23am by TomM » IP Logged

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
--Thoreau--
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #28 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 9:25am »

Tom,  

Have to say I am 100% freezing all the time and that is not normal for me so I can relate to what you said  
But I still have a q....
you said when you tapered off the topamax you went right back into a cycle.  How long did it last, and or how quickly or how well has starting the topamax helped with eliminating it or controlling it?
Basically I want to begin tapering off of the topamax but am very frightened of new cycle, and or the ability for the meds to work again.
Thanks for your help.  Mary Ann
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2008, 9:29am by beachmusic » IP Logged
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #29 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 9:36am »

Sorry, misinformation. I started my down taper 4 months ago but this is my "season" for my cycle. So I am not surprised but shdows showing up and a few Kip 4's.  I got hit with a Kip 4 in the office about an hour ago....
I feel the cycle is coming no matter what. the Topamax has lessened the pain but not made it PF.  
Does that help?
IP Logged

--Thoreau--
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #30 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 9:42am »

Yes and thanks.
I am sorry you are getting hit again Sad and I do believe I did misunderstand you.  
I thought you felt it was due to tapering off the Topamax that you started a new cycle.  Of course we never know these things.   But it gives me some hope that maybe just maybe I can get off this drug or atleast lessen the mg.
Good luck pf days to you!!!!  Mary Ann
IP Logged
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #31 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 9:52am »

I'll take a the Kip 4's with the side effects of Topamax over weeks of kip 10's anytime.  Smiley
But, that's just me.
IP Logged

--Thoreau--
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #32 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 9:57am »

I hear ya and agree fully!!
IP Logged
washed-out
New Board Newbie
Poland 

« Reply #33 on: May 10th, 2008, 12:11pm »

After two months I am going to stop my treatment with Topamax... Or I will stay at only 25mg for night... (and I will still have horrible problems with waking up).

Both Verapamil and Topamax give me terrible side effects even on small doses, I can't take steroids because of weight and some other health problems so conclusion is simple: nothing left for me.
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2008, 12:14pm by washed-out » IP Logged
washed-out
New Board Newbie
Poland 

« Reply #34 on: May 10th, 2008, 12:15pm »

After two months I am going to stop my treatment with Topamax... Or I will stay at only 25mg for night... (and I will still have horrible problems with waking up).

Both Verapamil (IT DIDN'T HELP AT ALL) and Topamax give me terrible side effects even on small doses, I can't take steroids because of weight and some other health problems so conclusion is simple: nothing left for me.
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2008, 12:15pm by washed-out » IP Logged
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #35 on: May 10th, 2008, 3:13pm »

I understand and cannot take the steroids either.  What other things have you tried?  o2 or triptans etc?   There have to be some other tricks left for you.  How about some of the non traditional treatments..... Wink
IP Logged
washed-out
New Board Newbie
Poland 

« Reply #36 on: May 10th, 2008, 4:20pm »

Can't take triptans (Imigran) either... Unfortunately Sad Because of some small problems with blood flow in heart (thats something like "heart block" but something less serious, it was visible on one EKG and wasn't on another).

I think I will try Lithium, maybe small (safe) doze will hape me.
IP Logged
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #37 on: May 10th, 2008, 4:41pm »

While I've been on Topamax for a while, my main preventatives have been liithium and Depakote - and what really broke my cycle was 4 IV courses of Depakote spread about a week apart - I've been pain free for about 2 months, and I'm tapering off the lithium and Depakote - so there's othere things besides Verap and Topamax -----
IP Logged
tonyonly
New Board Newbie
Finland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #38 on: May 17th, 2008, 1:50pm »

on Mar 21st, 2008, 8:34pm, MR_JESTER wrote:
I tried TOPOMAX with my last cycle.
I suddenly knew how a person with ALZHEIMERS feels.
I couldn't remember anything!!

OMG, this is THE one. I live in Finland, here this one is called TOPIMAX. I felt like 80 or 90 year old 24/7 and I'm in my thirties, I didn't remember anything in close past (like what happened 5 minutes ago) and with a higher dose it became very difficult to even speak. The frightening bit is that I didn't notice much of these changes myself but the people around me did...never again. My doctor told me to "keep eating it, you will get used to it" - yeah right, didn't want to get used to that. I don't know how they can prescribe something like this to anyone!
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #39 on: May 17th, 2008, 5:04pm »

My dopeymax treatment didn't last long, but it was painful enough. I got hit more frequently and didn't recall a thing - that was especially brilliant, because I had plenty of essays to write!  

My "fave" part was doing to a department store's music department and wondering why I was there... Lips Sealed  
Luckily, my doc allowed me quit the med soon after that.

I know that topomax has helped some of us in here, but it was no good for me.

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Balanchine
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #40 on: May 17th, 2008, 8:31pm »

wait... why did I hit reply again....?  

No, I knew that! It was the igloo made of rice cakes of course! Twas brillig and the slithey toves, dammit!

Seriously. Started Topamax 5 days ago and I think it's finally kicked in today, when I went from 25 mg to 50, because yesterday I was hovering between kip 6 and 10 for, oh, maybe 9 hours straight until around 3 a.m. and today I'm just fine although please don't ask me my name or even what class of mammal I belong to.

I feel sleepy, stupid and drowsy... kind of like half the seven dwarves. But considering the alternative I think I'll take it. Was taking notes from a guy I work for this morning and had to have him repeat some stuff but he understood. Just will have to buckle down and drink more coffee and hope the cycle ends eventually or I become a barnacle, whichever comes first.

David

OH and PS, I've lost about 7 pounds since Tuesday
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2008, 8:32pm by Balanchine » IP Logged
judyjudyjudy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #41 on: May 17th, 2008, 8:33pm »

I'm naturally spacey but Dopeymax at 100 mg turned me into a certified space cadet first class.  Not only just silly spacey, but I truly lost the ability to concentrate.  I normally am an avid reader, and MUST have at least two books to read at all times.  I couldn't concentrate to read anything longer than a newspaper article the whole time.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss