Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 6:16am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « High activity »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   High activity
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: High activity  (Read 1201 times)
Guido
New Board Junior
USA 

The Miracle is in the moment

guidoguy53  
Email

High activity
« on: Mar 21st, 2008, 6:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The beast has become unpredictable and random. This episode started with only night time hits. Now it seems day time random hits are not uncommon. My concern is of course, hits at work. I have taken oxygen to work with me, but have decided that just the Sumatriptan makes more sense, and if caught early enough I don't really have to break stride too much.  
I work as a bartender/food server. I have had hits while off work that have been during the same times when I work, but so far none at work. It is not uncommon for the bar to be really, really busy and stay that way for hours. But even when it is slow I keep pretty busy, I'm not one to stand around.
My question is this...is activity an abortive or am I experiencing a pain free coincidence at work?

Namaste,
   Guido
IP Logged

He will come. You may put him off for awhile but, he will come. headbanger
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

Re: High activity
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 7:19pm »

To some it helps and to some its a trigger......the beast sucks that way!

We are different, but we are all the same in pain!  Cry
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Superdave
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 7:41pm »

Hey Guido,

Sorry to hear your being terrorized. I have been chronic for over 5 years, I‘ve have rarely been hit while in the middle work or some other mentally strenuous activity. The beast always seems to show up when I let my mind relax. Even though I may be at work, if things get to easy, mundane or repetitive, That’s when I get in trouble.

Good luck  
Superdave Cool
IP Logged

Wow! you mean it's just in my head?
raven4

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 9:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If by "high activity" at work you mean being "busy", it does not seem to affect me one way or the other. If the first one is at 9:30, most of the rest will be at 9:30 - and then there is the added bonus of having three or four more at seemingly random intervals - but that is just me.
IP Logged
CostaRicaKris
New Board Veteran
USA 

Currently training for AFC half Marathon

CostaRicaKris  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 10:46pm »

I seem to be hit in times of rest too.  

This story may be kind of relevant...
Several years ago I was in a car with my sister on the way to L.A.  when I was at about a KIP level 6-7. Not a fun road trip!
Of course, the it got worse when we were in a bad accident - totaled my sister's car. We were both okay, and I mean really okay. My pain was suddenly gone. Weird
IP Logged

Visit my website: http://www.active.com/donate/amnhealthcare/KristinaMorris to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running
superhawk2300
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:51am »

If your "high activity" means burning calories.......

Working out is a surefire trigger for me, and the hit I will get will be amoung the worst I've ever had.

I heard that some intense exersize aborts CH - but not for me.

So I am at the end of my cycle, fatter and weaker than ever. Thanks Beast.
IP Logged
superhawk2300
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:58am »

CoastaRicaKris,

And I thought Relpax was expensive as an abortive!

How many cars do you typically go through during a cycle and how many will my insureance co pay for a month? How do you take one at work?

Grin
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 11:10am »

on Mar 21st, 2008, 6:58pm, Guido wrote:
It is not uncommon for the bar to be really, really busy and stay that way for hours. But even when it is slow I keep pretty busy, I'm not one to stand around.

A physically active job does me ok, too.  It's possible I'd be on a higher dose of verapamil if not for a going nine hour day.  
  Balancing enough to prevent and not more than needed helps to not feel too laid back, a lowered b/p at a higher dose can slow me up and start some feet swelling.
IP Logged
CostaRicaKris
New Board Veteran
USA 

CostaRicaKris  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 11:53am »

on Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:58am, superhawk2300 wrote:
CoastaRicaKris,

And I thought Relpax was expensive as an abortive!

How many cars do you typically go through during a cycle and how many will my insureance co pay for a month? How do you take one at work?

Grin

While it worked for me (once), I don't recommend crashing into cars as an abortive.  I'm sticking to the O2.  

Smiley

IP Logged

Visit my website: http://www.active.com/donate/amnhealthcare/KristinaMorris to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running
Rosebuddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 1:54pm »

I've only had one CH at work - and I'm a lawyer, not a real "high activity" job.  I'm usually an evening/nightime sufferer, though.  However, I had 19 CH-free years, during which time I was running marathons.  Ran alot, all through the winter months.  Now I have a bad knee and can't run, and it's hard to find another exercise that can deliver the same level of oxygen intake.  Coincidence?  I wonder.
IP Logged
Superdave
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 5:09pm »

In the summertime when it’s really hot outside. The sight, smell and feel of a thunderstorm blowing in with all of its cool fresh air will trigger the beast in my head more times than not................what’s up with that?

Superdave
IP Logged

Wow! you mean it's just in my head?
CostaRicaKris
New Board Veteran
USA 

CostaRicaKris  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 9:58pm »

Hey Rosebuddy,  
Were you running while in cycle for CH? I'm also a runner and there's another marathoner that's a regular on this board and we have both found that long runs have been triggers for us. I too went through a remission - it was four years for me - where running didn't effect me at all because I wasn't in cycle. But before and after my remission, it's been a trigger for some pretty nasty hits.

Kris
IP Logged

KatzPurr
New Board Newbie
USA 

10+ OUCH!

16090505 16090505     KatzPurr2

« Reply #12 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 2:32am »

I find this particular topic very interesting in that it seems to affect everyone so differently. Personally, exercise of any sort has never been an issue for me out of cycle. Last summer I played in a very intense USTA Tennis Competition, which lasted for 5 days and the only headaches I suffered were dehydration related. Now that I have been in a ch cycle since mid Feb., I would get hit consistently every time I played a match during the last 10 min. Finally, the ch peaked and became so unbearable that I haven't been able to play for the past 3 weeks and frankly am pretty gunshy about getting back on the courts. So for me there seems to be a direct relationship between cycles and ch hits correlating with higher activity. In any case, now that I am fairly certain my cycle will be ending soon, I will definitely have to go out and whack a few balls. Good grief I pray my ch never morph into the chronic variety because giving up tennis is just not a viable option for me.
IP Logged

KatzPurr's Purrrrrrr Palace
http://www.myspace.com/jlabax
Rosebuddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 6:58pm »

Regarding running during a CH cycle - I had 19 glorious CH free years, and that's when I was doing my marathoning.  I had my most recent episode, before the current one, when I was pregnant with my second child.  They quit after he was born, and I just this year started again - and he's in college now.  So I can't answer the question about long runs being a trigger!  I have thought that regular eating helps, though, and maybe it's partly a refueling or dehydration problem.  I don't ever seem to get much of a handle on why my CH's start - they are mostly nighttime phenomenon for me and come basically every night no matter what.  Sigh.  Best of luck - it sure can suck the pleasure out of life, can't it?   Sad
IP Logged
MR_JESTER
New Board Newbie
USA 

Dance with the devil!

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 11:22pm »

I have heard stories of people that say "exercise" will abort an attack.  The thought of doing sit-ups or jumping jacks during a kipp-7 is unthinkable for me.
IP Logged

Make it idiot proof..
and someone will make
a better idiot!
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #15 on: Mar 27th, 2008, 7:55am »

An active job like Guido described is different from something like working out, running long distances, and playing tennis where the exertion raises heat and heart rate well above normal with sweating.  
  Active like a busy bartender is a lot of movement, footsteps, bending, reaching, for long periods and doesn't involve the heavy breathing and heat of the more strenuous excercises mentioned, but it is active.
  "High activity" can mean different things in each of our lives as we know it and when it gets to some point of exertion and heat, can be a trigger for many it seems.  
  A pizza maker on Saturday night can have a highly active job compared to many but is different from marathon runner or tennis player. 
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2008, 8:02am by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss