Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 4:59am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapamil Problem? (for some) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapamil Problem? (for some)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapamil Problem? (for some)  (Read 588 times)
JoeKen
New Board Junior
England 

Late Life Sufferer.

Verapamil Problem? (for some)
« on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 12:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, Smiley
I am a chronic CH sufferer who recently had a TIA (mini-stroke) and was hospitalised for 5 days. The hospital consultant immediately took me off Almotriptan tablets, (my only CH medication other than oxygen), and put me on Verapamil with instructions to slowly increase the dose until it had the desired effect. The same consultant also prescribed Simvastatin at 40 mg each evening to lower my cholesterol, found to be 5.9. On discharge my GP confirmed the above medication combination and continued to issue repeat prescriptions for around 5 months.
Recently a new pharmacist took over issuing my medication and immediately suggested that I query the simultaneous use of Verapamil and 40mg of Simvastatin with my GP on the grounds of interaction. To cut a long story short, both the GP and consultant have now confirmed that the pharmacist is correct, ( and by implication, they were both in error), and that my Simvastatin should be reduced to 20mg per day, (GP) or discontinued altogether (consultant).
The side effects caused by this interaction are many and various, some potentially serious and life threatening. I had begun to notice one of the less serious ones (muscle inflamation), but put it down to advancing old age!! I am due to see the GP and consultant again shortly and will demand blood tests etc. to see if any of the more serious side effects have occurred.
Meanwhile I post this hoping that it may be of help to other CH sufferers who may also be taking Verapamil and 40mg or more of Simvastatin, daily.
For information on the possible side effects of the interaction I 'Googled' "verapamil, simvastatin"  -  I suggest anyone interested should do the same.
Sorry if this is not as new to you as it was to me, but I cannot recall seeing any posting on this conflict.
JoeKen.
IP Logged

Not sure I should be here, but it's as near as I'm going to get to finding out what is the correct name for my condition. Usually KIP 5 or below but last up to 16 hours and always one-sided, behind the eye, usually right but ocassionally left.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Verapamil Problem? (for some)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 2:13pm »

SIMVASTATIN may interact with VERAPAMIL

Verapamil may block the breakdown of simvastatin by the liver. If this happens, blood levels of simvastatin could be increased. This could cause a serious or potentially life-threatening side effect that involves the destruction of muscle tissue and could lead to kidney failure. Avoid using these drugs together if possible, However, if it is necessary to take verapamil and simvastatin at the same time, you may be advised to watch for symptoms like unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness. Your doctor may consider adjusting the dose of simvastatin if needed or using an alternative to simvastatin for reducing cholesterol. Discuss this potential interaction with your healthcare provider at your next appointment, or sooner if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is well-documented and is considered moderate in severity.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
JoeKen
New Board Junior
England 

Late Life Sufferer.

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 4:10pm »

Thanks Bob  Smiley,
Seems like the problem is well known to everyone (except me and my medical team!!). Is there any information available as to whether any damage so caused is permanent or reversible when the med combination is discontinued?
Thanks again for your response  -  good to know that there is a reduced chance of others being affected.
JoeKen.
IP Logged

Not sure I should be here, but it's as near as I'm going to get to finding out what is the correct name for my condition. Usually KIP 5 or below but last up to 16 hours and always one-sided, behind the eye, usually right but ocassionally left.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 8:37am »

Muscle pain is a relatively rare side effect of using any of the statins. It can result in serious damage if you don't stop usng it quickly (when the pain shows up) and get blood work done by the doc to monitor.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss