Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 1:54am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Triggers - mary jane »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Triggers - mary jane
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Triggers - mary jane  (Read 1393 times)
Mybelle
New Board Junior
USA 

Cluster what?

Triggers - mary jane
« on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 1:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm not pointing fingers or anything like that, and not that I judge or anything, but don't you think that smoking weed is a trigger? Perhaps not instantaneous, but within an hour or so? seems like that for someone who suffers from CH - Told him to stop otherwise my support and empathy would stop! Angry
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Triggers - mary jane
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 2:02pm »

Quite a few people state that it does trigger an attack. If one recognizes anything as a trigger and continues to do so then they are a putz. I personally do not have any "triggers" and the only ones that remain consistent across the board are nitroglycerine and alcohol for the vast majority. I have nitro listed as an allergy on a medical card.  
I personally believe for something to be a trigger it will almost instantaneously set off an attack. There are plenty of things which may bring discomfort to an individual or one may have sensitivity but to be a trigger I feel that it sets things off.
Just my opinion.
You're a supporter of a CH'er?
If so one can sympathize not empathize because they do not know exactly what one is going through.
I do thank you for supporting though.
I would tell him in different words how it makes you feel and the pain that you may go through along with his pain.

Hugs
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 2:05pm »

Mybelle,  This subject has come up here many many times in the past and I just now went back and read several threads that were started on this topic.  

I don't believe there was ever a poll taken, but the general concensus is that it is a trigger for the majority of us, much the same way alcohol is.  It's a vasodialtor.  I believe there were a FEW  who stated it didn't act as a trigger for them , but most said it was a definite no-no.

Linda  

IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 2:24pm »

A dear friend describes himself as having been a "middle-age hippie": I'll have to ask about his experience....

The value of age, however, is that many of us never had to discover anything of more pleasure than single malt Scotch (reducing our trigger list considerably)! <bg>
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
VALIS
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 3:15pm »

Mybelle -  

I am a regular MJ smoker and it definitely does NOT trigger CH for me. In fact it seems to relieve the pressure on my eyeball and alleviates some of the anxiety as well. I do not intend cutting it out during cycle as I view it as part of my defense arsenal. I also think that different strains of MJ may well have different effects but have yet to fully explore. I know that others here have had different experiences so I guess it's down to the individual.  

As for stopping your "support and empathy" I'm not sure what to say. That is very sad indeed... Right now he needs your UNCONDITIONAL support. Only he can tell what is a trigger. I don't believe that there is any amount of denial that would cause someone to intentionally do something  knowing that it would trigger a CH. In my case, I was also VERY fond a few drinks every now and then - the instant I figured out that alcohol was a trigger. I stopped. Didn't even think twice about it.

Anyway, I know you're going through a lot yourself but please stay strong. Your guy will eventually figure out how to deal with things and life will become more bearable.

~sean.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2008, 9:26pm by VALIS » IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 3:37pm »

on Mar 22nd, 2008, 3:15pm, VALIS wrote:
I am a regular MJ smoker and it definitely does NOT trigger CH for me.

There. Fixed it for you.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
VALIS
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 3:48pm »

on Mar 22nd, 2008, 3:37pm, brewcrew wrote:

There. Fixed it for you.

Thanks Brewcrew.  Obviously that is what I meant. There seem to be very few definitives when it comes to the beast. One man's meat is another man's poison and all that...

IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 6:35pm »

trigger for sure!!!!!for me.
Those that induce and invite the beast with triggers, have other problems along with CH. Give empathy to that problem.
all the best
thebb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 6:37pm »

I got at least a little bit of experience on the subject and it's a monster trigger for me while in cycle.

Potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 6:40pm »

Can you possibly ask him to not smoke MJ for several days and see if it makes any difference to the hits or the number of hits?

As with most things, the effects it has on different people seem to be different. Its best to let him test things and find out for himself , otherwise he will never believe you no matter how much you try to convince him.

Regarding the question of continuing to support or not to support, you HAVE A RIGHT TO CHOOSE. Supporting someone in pain or in sickness is an act of love to be given freely and willingly, not because you have to. We all have choices and are free to make them. He is free to choose to continue smoking MJ whether or not its a trigger for him and you are free to choose whether or not to keep supporting him if he does, according to your own belief.  

I am a supporter for my husband who has CH and who is also a heavy cigarette smoker. I hate smoking for health reason and for a while I did wonder whether smoking was making his CH worse. We discussed about it and decided to test it out. He stopped smoking for 7 days and it didnt do anything for the hits. In fact it made it worse in some sense as he didnt have his normal "crutch" to help calm him down after a hit. I also asked around and did a lot of research and found no real evidence that smoking makes CH worse. Therefore we compromised, I would be happy to let him smoke but he was to cut down as much as possible. He has gone from 2 packets a day to about 10 cigs a day. He wants to completely give it up one day but he has to be ready for it, I cant and dont want to force him. We are both happy the way things are now and life goes on.  

Good luck to you and all the best wishes.
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 6:50pm »

I have never understood people who say or think that smoking is a trigger.  Smoking is one of the worst things you can do to your lungs and heart and general well-being...BUT...Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor and that in itself would beg the question of why/how it could possibly be a trigger.  

Even our mean-ol-Charlie as much as he hates smokers has  admitted  that.   Grin
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 7:42pm »

on Mar 22nd, 2008, 6:50pm, Linda_Howell wrote:
Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor and that in itself would beg the question of why/how it could possibly be a trigger.

Nicotine is but one of over 400 chemicals found in cigarette smoke. Could be that the other 399 might have something to do with it....

And I'd be willing to bet that mean-old-Charlie doesn't hate smokers - you know, hate the sin, love the sinner thing.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2008, 7:43pm by Brew » IP Logged

Lebowski
New Board Newbie
USA 

The Dude Abides!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 8:33pm »

MJ is definitely a trigger for me as well as alcohol.
IP Logged
Mybelle
New Board Junior
USA 

Cluster what?

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 9:19pm »

Thank you all so much - and don't worry, I will never abandon him even if he continues to smoke - it just angers me - but if a trigger is instantaneous, then for him it is NOT a trigger, but it really doesn't seem to help, although too much may have been a trigger - time will tell, I guess - I must say that he had a rockstar today and what may have been a hit is just a shadow - but he's still scared it will turn into a hit.......doesn't seem to though......that rockstar stuff is yucky! but he will continue to drink it at the first sign of a shadow and we'll see what happens......thanks to you all for your input...I appreciate you all!!!! Cool
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #14 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 9:24pm »

on Mar 22nd, 2008, 9:19pm, Mybelle wrote:
......that rockstar stuff is yucky!

When it offers relief, you'd be surprised how quickly one learns to love it. Wink
IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 9:40pm »

Hi, Mybelle.  I get hit on the first sip of champagne.  So I toast the new year with apple juice, and toast newly weds with water.

As for Red Bull, it took me 30 minutes to drink my first one - that little can seemed so huge,  but now it takes me less than 5 seconds and works very well.  

Good luck to your guy, and thank you for being there.  Don't forget to take care of yourself and relax a little.

Charlotte

edited because I am so Naive I thought Mybelle's real name was Mary Jane (lol).
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2008, 12:55pm by Charlotte » IP Logged
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 11:22pm »

Just one more thing, if he is addicted to MJ, there is possibility that there maybe other problems/issues in his life apart from CH, those may make CH worse in a more subtle way, be aware of those and keep your eyes and mind open.

Take care and painfree wishes to you both.
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 2:24am »

Tossing in my two cents...

Marijuana is a mild trigger for me.  If it happened 100% of the time, I would have quit smoking it sooner.  I got cluster headaches 21 years ago last month and quit smoking MJ almost 10 years ago.  I think I was in denial.  When I was smoking it, I did find that I could eat food (not just a bag of oreo's by the way).  When the cluster headaches are fast and furious, like 8+ per day, it is really hard to eat for me.

I don't really miss smoking MJ and only rarely do I feel that it would be nice to smoke it.

I'd recommend a trial "fast" of the substance, say for two weeks, charting before and during the fast and check the headache calendar and see if it makes a difference.  I'd think that, for most of us, it would make a difference.

Denial is a powerful thing, as is an addictive personality.

It's hard to deny the headache calendar.  If it does NOT show that big of a difference, think of all the money he'd save that he could spend on something constructive!

Climbing off of my soap box now.

With best regards,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
hornedone
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 12:05am »

Not a trigger for me...but then again haven't smoked it in years.  

From all that I've read it's a powerful vasconstrictor. To each his own, i say.  

IP Logged

"I get headaches like those..."
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #19 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 10:29am »

on Mar 22nd, 2008, 11:22pm, Annette wrote:

Just one more thing, if he is addicted to MJ, there is possibility that there maybe other problems/issues in his life apart from CH, those may make CH worse in a more subtle way, be aware of those and keep your eyes and mind open.

Take care and painfree wishes to you both.

Ya better go for some continuing education.  The shit's not addictive.

Potter
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #20 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 10:37am »

Psychological dependence, perhaps. Physically addictive, no way.
IP Logged

Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #21 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 10:59am »

on Mar 24th, 2008, 10:29am, vietvet2tours wrote:

Ya better go for some continuing education.  The shit's not addictive.

Potter

No, you are right, shit isnt addictive. But I wasnt talking about shit.  

IP Logged

Arthur Conan Doyle
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #22 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 12:00pm »

on Mar 24th, 2008, 10:59am, Annette wrote:

No, you are right, shit isnt addictive. But I wasnt talking about shit.  

In your infinite wisdom as a Dr. of Medicine please elaborate on the addictive properties of shit.  ( euphemism)

Potter    
IP Logged

Mybelle
New Board Junior
USA 

Cluster what?

« Reply #23 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 4:40pm »

Everyone has an opinion on the MJ thing - but now I have a different question - how many rockstars can you have in one day? he had shadows at about 1 or 2 and drank the can and now it's nagging again...Is it better to chug the whole can at once? or just half a can? He's afraid to let it get more than that because he had one bad headache one week ago and he's afraid........
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #24 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 4:49pm »

You might want to think about starting a new thread.

And, it depends on the size of the can. If it's a little one (8oz), slam it. That's considered one serving.

I've heard people say you shouldn't exceed 4 servings in a day, but that's just what I've heard.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss