Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 8:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I think I have it figured out! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   I think I have it figured out!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I think I have it figured out!  (Read 1212 times)
brilmont
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« on: Mar 24th, 2008, 5:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have SUNCT syndrome, a from of CH.  Self diagnosed because the doctor's won't listen.   My most common triggers are:  standing up after lying or sitting, bending over, neck held back (looking up), doing something strenuous, anger, fear, taking a shower and sinus trouble.  My pains have gotten progressively worse over the last 20 years.  The last 4-5 months have been especially bad.  Almost every day, all day.  I've gained over 20 pounds cause I was afraid to make any sudden moves for fear of an attack.  I could't work or clean my house, and my husband has had to take on most of my chores.  I was crying almost daily UNTIL...

On March 15th I found this message board.  I don't know why I didn't find it sooner.  Wish I did because the Red Bull lots of you suggested was a God's send.  I couldn't believe it!  I had to know WHY does Red Bull work and I've spent countless hours ever since onresearching why.  

First we have to understand these two functions--
Vasoconstriction: a narrowing of the blood vessels resulting from contracting of the muscular wall of the vessels. When blood vessels constrict, the flow of blood is restricted or slowed resulting in an increase of the blood pressure.  

Vasodiolation:  opposite of vasoconstriction; a result of relaxation in smooth muscle surrounding the blood vessels.  This relaxation, in turn, relies on removing the stimulus for contraction and causes dilation of arterial blood vessels (mainly arterioles) and leads to a decrease in blood pressure.  

I believe that, for most of us, our problem is low blood pressure (HYPOTENSION).  Our bodies inablility to raise our blood pressure in a timely manner when it's necessary (during the trigger moments).

Medications that cause vasoconstriction (higher blood pressure) include antihistamines, decongestants, cough and cold combinations, pseudoephedrine, and caffeine.  These are called vasoconstrictors or vasopressors.

That's why Red Bull works.  It's a vasopressor.  The caffeine is what works, not the Taurine.

When my mom died in December I had a pain free week.  I thought maybe because I left my old pillow at a friends and had to use a different one that the old pillow was the problem:  or maybe I was so tired each night that I didn't have a chance to turn and sleep on my back: or that I cried so much that bad toxins had drained my head through the tears and mucous.  Like all of you...always grasping for an answer.  Well, here's what it was!  I just figured it out!  I felt myself coming down with a cold or flu and knew I couldn't afford to let it get me at this time of turmoil and took a big swig of NYQUIL each night before going to bed as a preventative measure.  Nyquil is a vasopressor.

I'm overweight so one of my doctors prescribed Lisinopril about 2 years ago.  Not because I have high blood pressure but so that I don't get it.  Another prescribed an asprin per day to avoid any heart troubles.  Two of the worse headache years of my life!  Both of these are vasodiolators causing lower blood pressure.  I stopped taking them last week and my headaches have decreased by about 70%.  I still keep Red Bull in the fridge for when the other 30% get out of hand.

The following webpages are extremely informative.  Substitute "headache" with dizziness, faintness or lightheadedness when reading and it will all make sense.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypotension

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/medical/orthostatic.html

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20031215/2393.html

Now to find out why the low blood pressure is happening.  I have a new list of things for the doctors to check including the oxygen suggestions.

Oh, and I'm curious...how many of you sleep with the TV on?

Thanks for this great message board and for suggesting Red Bull.  You've saved my life.  THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

Re: I think I have it figured out!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 7:10am »

You haven't mentioned if these headaches are unilateral or if any autonomic symptoms.

Consulting your doctor about this while taking Lisinopril or if discontinuing should be noteworthy.

I've read some get an elevated b/p during or when it is known a CH hit is approaching, but it doesn't seem to help any with aborting an attack.
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2008, 7:19am by Kevin_M » IP Logged
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 7:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Brilmont,    hug  

I especially want to send you a big hug and tell you how sorry I am over the loss of your Mother!!!   I lost my father in 07 and never ever think I will get over it.  (Yep, daddy's girl here)  
Now I am losing my Mom too!  Again I am so sorry for your loss!!!

There are many similarities in our stories but I find the BP thing fascinating.  As well as the crying thing.  I have had have mild high bp but due to the topamax I feel like I am bottomed out and always on the verge of fainting.  Would love to stop the bp meds.
I got my first cluster in 2003 and thought for sure would go into another cycle due to stress/crying over losing my dad and most certainly all my mom's health problems.  But nope.  Well atleast not until jan 08.
Now I have no option but to pack for that final goodbye/funeral/eulogy so maybe there is a key to the crying because  I believe my present cycle is winding down.  That or it is that flight or fight thingie.  Which btw is related to our hypothalumus also.    
Well we are all glad to see a cycle end thats for sure Smiley

Good luck and God Bless.
Mary Ann
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2008, 8:20am by beachmusic » IP Logged
Mybelle
New Board Junior
USA 

Cluster what?

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 5:00pm »

Well now I'm totally confused - is it the Taurine that must be in the drink or the caffeine? or both? Because too much caffeine can keep you up at night throwing off your circadian rhythm even more -even with a melatonin, so what's the deal? Shocked
IP Logged
EstieSA
New Board Junior
South_Africa 

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 5:07pm »

on Mar 24th, 2008, 5:37am, brilmont wrote:
Oh, and I'm curious...how many of you sleep with the TV on?

Puts up hand slowly while looking around...

"Me , why?"
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 5:28pm »

First off I'm really glad you have found something that's helping YOU. That's first and foremost, the goal of this board. Now a whole bunch of words of warning.  

You should try to get a neuro to confirm your diagnosis, as frustrating as it can be to get all of the necessary consults and tests done, you're always better off working with a medical professional.

As far as most of us dealing with low blood pressure, an untrue statement based on the many people I know on the board. Our blood pressures tend to sky rocket DURING  a hit, the rest of the time we're all over the board with highs, lows and in betweens.  

For CLUSTER HEADACHE  sufferers, the combination of caffeine and taurine is far more effective then just caffeine. The taurine puts the caffeine to work much faster the if it was caffein alone. for CLUSTER HEADACHE  sufferers, speed is of the essence, minutes can spell the difference between a KIP 3 and a KIP7.  

I went on aspirin therapy for about 2 years and it had no effect, positive or negative, on my CH cycles. One of the wiser research types will be along to discuss the cold medicine before bed trick. Many with CH use that one, I don't recall why but someone explained how it helps you avoid the night time attacks. The same reason many take melatonin to avoid the nite time hits.

Welcome to the board, I hope we can help you some more. Be really careful when quickly associating  cause and effect with this condition. It morphs very quickly and you're never sure if it was a life style/med change or he just morphed again!  

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Superdave
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 6:05pm »

Hi Brilmont!

Thank you for your contribution, all the info we can get the better

Superdave
IP Logged

Wow! you mean it's just in my head?
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 6:36pm »

I find it very interesting as I too have extremely low BP mine is 90/50 at the doctors but if taken after sitting for a while can be 78/40 easily.

Interestingly one of the most used preventative meds for CH is a BP med, Verapamil. I don't think there are any easy answers. One of the worst things about CH is that what works for one fails another. Absolutely no med we use is 100% effective so it stands to reason that different theories can work for different groups of us too.  

The BP angle certainly bears more thinking about to me so thank you

Oh and welcome! I'm glad you've finally started posting.  Smiley

Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 6:45pm »

Yeah, me too, many times ... until the beast throws a curve ball and send me back to the drawing board.

Its good though to keep thinking and analysing, it helps with the understanding of the condition, if not for everyone else, at least for your own so that you can fight it better.

Kudos to you and painfree wishes.  

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
superhawk2300
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 8:48pm »

Generally speaking, as far as body function, I am pretty healthy, with perfect blood pressure.

That being said when I am in cycle a suppliment I take always brings on a HUGE hit. The suppliment is a vasculardialator, which makes the blood vessels get bigger and thus increasing blood flow to the mucsles being worked.

Now THAT being said, I have been on and off that suppliment for years, and being on it doesn't seem to bring me into a cycle; only makes me have a hit when I am in cycle. My remission time between cycles has shortened the last 3 cycles so maybe there is a long term effect but I dunno.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss