Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 6:32pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Clusters and Imitrex failure??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Clusters and Imitrex failure???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Clusters and Imitrex failure???  (Read 1488 times)
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

Clusters and Imitrex failure???
« on: Apr 19th, 2008, 12:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

OK Pros . . . need a little help here.

A week ago or so I had a meal at a sports bar and a lousy ("non-alcoholic"Wink O'douls triggered an attack . . . ok, out to the parking lot and hit the 02 for 10-12 min., back in the bar and bartender Randi was concerned at my condition when I went out.  Explained CH to her .  .  . there was also a pain clinic nurse present, interested in the condition which of course prompted me to expound on the virtues of 02 . . . both wanted the site address.

This afternoon I went in for lunch (with iced tea), and Randi advised that her aunt has been diagnosed with clusters, makes her living on a computer and is likely to be reading this.

The question:  Randi says that she believes her aunt is on Topomax, and has used Imitrex injectibles, but they didn't work . . . .????

I, of course can't take Imitrex . . . but in the six years I've been here, I don't recall reading of Imitrex failure.

Any ideas guys?

And Randi's aunt . . . if you're out there please post something about yourself and your battle with our common beast.

Be Safe,   PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Clusters and Imitrex failure???
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19th, 2008, 8:45am »

Imitrex injectables have never failed me. I rarely use them, lithium as a prevent with 02 as primary abort have been serving me very well.

A warning about O'doul's, they are not alcohol free, they just have a very very low level. In Califonia they're treated like beer in that you can't sell them between 2:00 am and 6:00 am. I'd be real careful about drinking those while on cycle! Wink

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19th, 2008, 11:43am »

Re the O'doul's

I used to drink Busch and have been able to drink a couple (never more than two) of Busch NAs without any problems . . . and have had Old Milwaukee NA, . . . also no problem.  They all have .5 % alcohol . . . . which is why I was surprised getting hit half-way through the O'Doul's.    

Not a big deal . . . frequently go 2-3 months without a single Busch NA . . . . and I am in one of those periods of more-than-usual attacks and seem to be more sensitive to my triggers.  Ah well . . . seems I can't even "pretend" to drink anymore.

Be Safe,

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19th, 2008, 1:34pm »

But in the meanwhile, back to your aunt: For a very small %, even Imitrex doesn't work. Then worth trying one of the other meds in this family.

BUT would first want to check on her technique. If you wait until the attack is well developed and has progressed, no med will be fully effective. Some people wait to see if the attack is a "real" one before taking--in the hope of saving $. If she is doing this, would encouage her to take at the first sign of an attack--gives the best potential for a good outcome.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
zapparulz
New Board Newbie
USA 

take an aspirin.....

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20th, 2008, 2:14pm »

on Apr 19th, 2008, 1:34pm, Bob_Johnson wrote:
But in the meanwhile, back to your aunt: For a very small %, even Imitrex doesn't work. Then worth trying one of the other meds in this family.

BUT would first want to check on her technique. If you wait until the attack is well developed and has progressed, no med will be fully effective. Some people wait to see if the attack is a "real" one before taking--in the hope of saving $. If she is doing this, would encouage her to take at the first sign of an attack--gives the best potential for a good outcome.

i don't like imitrex- i never injected it,but used the piils and nasal spray- i found that the first time i used it ,it worked,then the 2nd time if it is the next day,i would get incredibly bad rebound headaches lasting 24 hours or so-

i must love pain,because i have used very little meds over the years.I only get them 1 time a year for4 weeks or so- and most of the meds and preventitives i have tried only give me other shitty side effects-

i think i may try the seeds this year and also the 02-

IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 22nd, 2008, 2:08pm »

Good advice from Bob.  Check her techniques on both Imitrex and O2.  

She could be injecting Imitrex in to muscle instead of just underneath the skin.  I made that mistake once and, while it eventually kinda worked, it took much longer and didn't provide complete relief.

Has she read through the supplemental guide on OUCH-US?  If not get her a copy.  O2 wasn't nearly as effective for me until I learned how to use it properly.  

She could be letting in room air through an uncovered hole on the side of the mask or not sealing the mask to her face completely.  There are also good notes on proper breathing.

Wish her luck...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
MikeS
New Board Newbie

« Reply #6 on: Apr 26th, 2008, 11:40pm »

I have suffered Migraines much of my life. They took longer to subside after I went chronic with my clusters. Imitrex worked wonders on even the worst migraines. However Imitrex never did a thing for my clusters. I had to quit using imitrex. A couple times I would get chest pains and one of the arteries to my heart would go into a spasm. My neuro did not want me to use it anymore for any reason. Anyway Imitrex never helped me even trying it several times. I am using methadone on a regular schedule and It has been an amazing help for me. (I know many cluster sufferers get no help from hese kinds of meds, It just works well for me) Mike
IP Logged

manicmechanic
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 7:20am »

I only recall it failing once (at most twice) since I began using it. The one time I recall clearly was after completing the "The Bear Run" up Grandfather Mountain in NC I got hit. Made it back to the place where we had parked with our "support vehicle" and got hit 20 minutes after the run. Knocked back one inject, didn't work, it continued to ramp up even worse. I was with a group of about 12 that had trained for the run and they are all celebrating with beers, me I've put a towel over my head and am about to have my head explode out my eyeball. Anyway, took a second inject. Still didn't work. It finally let up about 45 minutes later when we got back down the mountain.

The group picture is priceless.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss