Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 10:58pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Caffeine users... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Caffeine users...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Caffeine users...  (Read 1613 times)
jjslugdog
New Board Newbie
USA 

Dance all night!

Email

Caffeine users...
« on: Apr 25th, 2008, 7:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've found caffeine to sometimes abort or lessen the entrance of the beast.  I make 8 oz. of expresso and slug it back.  I've seen post here about various energy drinks, which I've never tried.  Anyway, I was wondering about the caffeine content of stuff this morning and found this page.  Pretty informative, although I didn't look to check out the sources.

http://www.energyfiend.com/the-caffeine-database/
IP Logged

Timeslowing, forever, exquisite pain is like the Marine Corps. The few, the proud, the brave.
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

Re: Caffeine users...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 9:29am »

Hi slugdog, and welcome.

I've used coffee (pots at a time) for a lot of years to slow down the thing's progress.  It works, too, if you catch in time.  Sometimes.  

Re: The energy drinks--some people have better luck with them than I do.  I find that I can kill a shadow by horsing one down, but not a full-blown hit.  Valuable, nevertheless.  

My understanding is that the taurine in energy drinks augments the effect of the caffeine.  Whether or not that's true, it's easier for me to pound a Red Bull than a hot cup of coffee--and the faster you get it in, the better off you are.    Wink  So they're certainly worth a shot.

Some energy drinks taste just plain nasty, so if that's a big deal, you might want to shop around a little.  Personally, I'd drink a quart of 30 weight if it would kill a CH.  After the first couple of times I killed a shadow with a Red Bull, I found that I liked the taste a lot better than I did at first.   Wink

Good luck...and it's a pleasure to meet you.

Best,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 9:34am »

on Apr 25th, 2008, 9:29am, George_J wrote:
After the first couple of times I killed a shadow with a Red Bull, I found that I liked the taste a lot better than I did at first.   Wink

I hear ya George. I've had good luck with Red Bull this go round as it has dispensed with those CH-precursor symptoms a few times. And I'm starting to think that it is practically "effervescent" and fruity.

Wink
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 10:23am »

Thats a good little piece of info you flung at us.  Thanks.

Caffeine is my friend

IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 10:26am »

NOS is, in my opinion, the best tasting of the energy drinks out there. It tastes like passionfruit. They also have two new flavors - fruit punch and grape. Has all of the good stuff we need to knock the beast back a couple of notches. Also contains ginseng, which some here have said can be counterproductive to our purposes, although I've never personally noticed that to be the case.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Rira82
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 11:30am »

I find taking about 3 Excedrin Migraine stops the beast in its tracks.

Energy drinks don't work for me.  The effects of Coffee, Espresso, and Caffeinated soda have lessened over the years.  Excedrin Migraine works the best though.
IP Logged
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 11:49am »

on Apr 25th, 2008, 11:30am, Rira82 wrote:
I find taking about 3 Excedrin Migraine stops the beast in its tracks.

You sure are lucky.........

IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

mezza
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 3:54pm »

What BMonee said about the excedrin-

sometimes 2 excedrin can help with a shadow for me ( a light shadow) and  couple strong black coffees but stopping/aborting a hit when its ramping up- doesnt' help me!  wow you sure are lucky!!    

« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2008, 7:07pm by mezza » IP Logged
Rira82
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 4:19pm »

well i am sorta lucky.  i have to take 3 Excedrin every time i start having a shadow, so that may be like 4 times a day.  which does make me kinda jittery.  because of that, i try to avoid any other type of caffeine so i don't get always get the caffeine shakes.  it's only a quickie fix until the next one hits, but at least i am able to make it home from work or make it through class with the help of the Excedrin.
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 4:22pm »

Caffeine Rocks!!
thebb
Java Java Java Java Java  Cool
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
DragonSlayer
New Board Veteran
USA 

That pain is only 1/2 as bad as you think it is!!!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 5:29pm »

on Apr 25th, 2008, 4:19pm, Rira82 wrote:
well i am sorta lucky.  i have to take 3 Excedrin every time i start having a shadow, so that may be like 4 times a day.  which does make me kinda jittery.  because of that, i try to avoid any other type of caffeine so i don't get always get the caffeine shakes.  it's only a quickie fix until the next one hits, but at least i am able to make it home from work or make it through class with the help of the Excedrin.

Excedrin ES Migraine has 65mg caffeine.  If you take two tabs that would be about the same caffeine as a strong cup of coffee or two.  
Excedrin ES Migraine also has 250mg each of Acetaminophen and Aspirin which have little effect on CH although some report relief from a shadow.  
Again I use strong coffee or an energy drink with good results.  
Over use of Acetaminophen and Aspirin may cause tinnitus (annoying ringing in your ears), stomach problems, rebound HAs along with other unpleasant side effects.  

WARNING on Excedrin Migrain label:

do not take more than 2 tablets in 24 hours,  
unless directed by a doctor

Overdose Warning from another product (exact same ingredients):

Do not use more than directed, ~...not more than 8 tablets in 24 hours.

Even though this is available OTC  

Please heed the warnings!!

You don't have to ask how I know this!!!
OK I'll give U 3 guesses and the first two don't count.

IP Logged

Mr. Spock tried Vulcan mind meld during one of my K10 hits. You saw how he reacted on TV... then the movie "he's dead Jim"... But he came back....
jon019
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

"Ya gotta believe!"

« Reply #11 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 9:10pm »

on Apr 25th, 2008, 10:26am, brewcrew wrote:
NOS is, in my opinion, the best tasting of the energy drinks out there. It tastes like passionfruit. They also have two new flavors - fruit punch and grape. Has all of the good stuff we need to knock the beast back a couple of notches. Also contains ginseng, which some here have said can be counterproductive to our purposes, although I've never personally noticed that to be the case.

I'm with brew, NOS actually tastes GOOD! Seems to be a little thicker too.

The others are awful but not awful enough NOT to use. My current fav is "Wired 344". Has 344 mg caffeine AND 3000 mg taurine per 16 oz. I brought a can in to show my then neuro (concerns about interaction with taurine and verapamil). She said it wasn't enough to worry her.

BTW, she has moved to Vancouver, WA. If you're in that area, I HIGHLY recommend her. (Elena Robinson, MD).

Regards,

Jon
IP Logged

"The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names." (that's cluster headache doc)

Chinese proverb
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss