Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 4:59am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « verapamil »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   verapamil
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: verapamil  (Read 4814 times)
wanna_swap_brains
New Board Junior
England 

verapamil
« on: May 17th, 2008, 4:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi,been on the prolonged release and got up to 960 mg a day,(attacks less frequent and severe)but gotta dose down coz of side effects,do you need such high doses of normal release to start getting the same kind of results?? thanks stuart
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

Re: verapamil
« Reply #1 on: May 18th, 2008, 8:45am »

I was only able to get up to 240mg of the sustained release formulation.  When I switched to the immediate release I was able to get up to 400mg witch worked really well for this cycle.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 18th, 2008, 10:31am »

SLOW-RELEASE VERAPAMIL

Dr. Sheftell applauded the protocol for verapamil used by Dr. Goadsby and colleagues, which entailed use of short-acting verapamil in increments of 80 mg. “This method was suggested by Lee Kudrow, MD, 20 years ago as an alternative to slow-release verapamil,” Dr. Sheftell noted.

“I would agree with using short-acting verapamil, rather than the sustained-release formulation, in cluster headache,” he said. “I prefer the short-acting formulation with regard to ability to titrate more accurately and safely. My clinical experience anecdotally demonstrates improved responses when patients are switched from sustained-release verapamil to short-acting verapamil.”

Dr. Goadsby agreed that his clinical experience was similar. “There are no well-controlled, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging studies to direct treatment. This is one of those areas where clinicians who treat cluster headache have to combine what modicum of evidence is available with their own clinical experience,” Dr. Sheftell commented.
==============

Believe it would be wise to start with a lower dose because the short-acting form will give a harder hit (full dose vs. being spread over time).  Your doc should advise.......
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
jon019
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

"Ya gotta believe!"

« Reply #3 on: May 18th, 2008, 11:04am »

My experience, back in the day when doc's with no clue except a quick run back to a "book", is that sustained release didna work...  

Immediate release (480-960 mg/day depending on cycle) was, and is, life changing...

Regards,

Jon

IP Logged

"The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names." (that's cluster headache doc)

Chinese proverb
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: May 18th, 2008, 11:59am »

As with everything, sustained release works better for some and not for others. You might want to consider either switching formulations or trying a combination of verap and lithium which has been very successful for alot of people too.

Obviously we don't know your medical history but it's something to discuss with your doctor for sure! I hope in the meantime, our experiences help with knowledge so you can have some participation in the decision making process.

Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

wanna_swap_brains
New Board Junior
England 

« Reply #5 on: May 19th, 2008, 8:50am »

thanks for all replies,so i guess its a switch to the normal release then,who sorts that out ?gp or neuro? stuart
IP Logged
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: May 19th, 2008, 9:56am »

I have both scripts sitting at my Pharmacists, one is the normal 80 mg tablets x 6 daily and the other is the sustained-release that my neuro said I could try as it is easier on my body and only have to take one pill a day.

I think I will stay with the normal Verapamil as it worked for me very well with my last cycle. I am at this point nor ready to change something that works. Wink
IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss