Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 10:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Osteopathy as a source of relief? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Osteopathy as a source of relief?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Osteopathy as a source of relief?  (Read 4945 times)
scubaguy
New Board Newbie
Switzerland 

Osteopathy as a source of relief?
« on: May 21st, 2008, 7:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All,

Since I'm new to this forum (albeit not to CHs) I'll introduce myself briefly, then come to my actual question:

I'm 42, male, and have been suffering from CHs off and on for the past 5 or 6 years ... episodic at best/worst. Although my attacks have usually occured every (or every other) Fall, this year has chosen Spring after a year and a half of peace and quiet. In my case, the pain comes through the left jawbone and, in its full effect, covers the entire left side of my head, ear to forehead. Usually in the evening or early night, my attacks keep me worried all day, as there seems to be a lingering pain ... as with others I've read about, the worry about a future attack keeps sleep away, so I'm pretty well pooped these days.  

Anyway, to my actual question: last time I had the attacks (2006) I went to see an osteopath, who relieved the pain somewhat, but since it was toward the end of a CH period, I'll never know whether this is actually a "proven" method for help or just a shot in the dark. Neurology istn't as prevalent (though clearly available) in Switzerland, but I'd be willing to try that, too ... Has anybody had any experiences with Osteopathy? If so, what were they and what can a trained osteopath try?

Many thanks for any and all help here!

Roger
IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Osteopathy as a source of relief?
« Reply #1 on: May 21st, 2008, 10:48am »

In the U.S. at least an osteopath is an MD first.  
I like the principals of the trade and they make a lot of sense to me.

My primary doc for many years was an osteopath then he died.

I have not since found a doc as qualified as he. In fact he had not only initially disgnosed me with CH he also prescribed 02 back in the 70s before it was common (though it didnt help). I was a case study back then. He involved neuros for consult and did all the right things.
IP Logged

MJ
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 21st, 2008, 11:05am »

Many U.S. neurologists are incompetent to treat CH. The lesson is to search for any M.D. who has the interest, experience, and drive to learn/treat complex headache disorders.

The difficulty in finding such a person is a constant theme of messages here and the medical literature has researched the number of years it often requires to find a good person.
---------
HERE ARE TWO MAJOR DOCUMENTS WITH RECOMMENDED TREATMENTS FOR CLUSTER HEADACHE, ONE FROM A U.S. PHYSICIAN, THE SECOND FROM EUROPE.
Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002. Rozen)
================
Treatment guidelines from Europe

------
A. May, M. Leone, J. Áfra, M. Linde, P. S. Sándor, S. Evers, P. J. Goadsby:  
EFNS guidelines on the treatment of cluster headache and other  
trigeminalautonomic cephalalgias.  
European Journal of Neurology. 2006; 13: 1066–1077.  

Download free full text:  
http://www.efns.org/files/guideline_49.pdf  
(Thanks to "cluster" for link.)

« Last Edit: May 21st, 2008, 2:07pm by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
AlienSpaceGuy
New Board Veteran

Greetings from outer space

« Reply #3 on: May 21st, 2008, 11:37am »

Grüezi Roger,

IMHO, osteopathy is borderline quackery, based in medical knowledge outdated for over a hundred years. See Dubious Aspects of Osteopathy

The only way to live with CH is a good preventative (like Verapamil) and an efficient abortive. One very good abortive, with no side effects at all is breathing pure oxygen.
You should find a CH-savvy neurologist. There are lots of neurologist around, here's a list of about 70 in your region, but it's a good idea to ask what they know about CH before making an appointment.

Some more useful links:
Schweizerisch Kopfwehgesellschaft
Dr. Oswld Ulrich about "klöschter chopfwee"
The only German language forum worth reading
The only alternative treatment worth considering

smokin

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods and hates snake oil vendors.

scubaguy
New Board Newbie
Switzerland 

« Reply #4 on: May 21st, 2008, 11:57am »

WOW!! How or why didn't I find this resource earlier?! Thanks so much for all the helpful replies! It helps just knowing there are helpful hands around.

@AlienSpaceGuy: I have my eye on a neurologist nearby, whom I'll call tomorrow. Hopefully, he'll know his way around CH.  

Roger
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss