Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 5:07am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Food Triggers? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Food Triggers?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Food Triggers?  (Read 1207 times)
Brassbear

Email

Re: Food Triggers?
« Reply #25 on: Jan 1st, 2003, 3:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

So far the food triggers that I've been able to identify are:

Dairy products, especially whole milk and aged cheese.
Chocolate
Strawberries
Beef summer sausage
Red wine... even a whiff of it!

Unfortunately ALL of those things are among my favorites. I eat a lot of raw veggies and so far that has not bothered me. I can eat grapes and melon ok, but haven't tried peaches and such yet.

Good luck Steve.

Michael
IP Logged
Summer
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #26 on: Jan 1st, 2003, 11:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi

I don't think red wine is a trigger - I believe its the sulfites in the wine itself that is the trigger.

Regarding licorice - licorice is made with Anise and Anise is an herb that will increase one's blood pressure - this makes the CH worse.

My take anyway - any thoughts?

Summer
IP Logged
JoeyT

Email

« Reply #27 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm really surprised that some of you do not have food triggers. During my 20 year chronic phase I absolutely identified food triggers. Mine are (in order of how quickly they'll trigger a cluster):

1. Alcohol - an ABSOLUTE
2. MSG - 20 minutes from mouth to headache
3. Chocolate - even white
4. Aged cheese
5. Nitrates/Nitrites
6. ANYTHING-cured, aged, fermented, pickled
7. Citrus Fruit/Juice

I'm sure I will think of more but these are the top ones.

Good luck
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #28 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 3:46pm »

From Dr. Peter Goadsby, one of the world's most renouned cluster experts:

"Alcohol, nitroglycerine, exercise and elevated environmental temperature are recognised precipitants of acute cluster attacks."

You guys are sure naming off a lot of migraine triggers.  May want to get another diagnosis.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Lenny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #29 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 8:28pm »

I can eat anything i want ( and it wont trigger a cluster ).
  My only triggers are hot or muggy weather,diesel fuel,excessive exercise. After reading all of those triggers ( i am very hungry ). I think i will go to this great deli and get some aged cheese,sausage sandwhich, and wash it down with some chocolate( should i get milk or dark???). I think i will go for the dark.PFDAN to all !!!!!  Grin Kiss Shocked ;D
IP Logged

yes a newbie,unfortunately not to the beast!!!Chronic - Clusterhead
bozzie
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #30 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 9:02pm »

glad i found this site, i am not a cluster headache sufferer, but my husband is.  I was wondering if any of you have ever gone 4 years without headaches.  My husband has been headache free for 4 years and as you say, they have found his address.  He is suffering so terrible with them.  all of the things mentioned about the triggers, fit him.  especially the alcohol. really bad for him.  [/color][color=Black]
IP Logged
sueellen83
New Board Veteran
USA 

Shoot me and get it over with!!!!!

nsueellen83   nsueellen83
Email

« Reply #31 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 11:11pm »

Hey Bob,

Extreme changes in temp. will definatly trigger my ch if I am in cycle, in fact that's how my cycles usually start. IE: coming into a hot house after being out in the cold.

Bozzie, Sorry to hear your hubby is being visited by the beast.  I usually have 2 to 2 and 1/2 years between cycles.  I think the longest time between was when they first started and that was about 6 years apart.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2003, 11:18pm by sueellen83 » IP Logged
NDC
New Board Newbie

XPC

« Reply #32 on: Jan 11th, 2003, 12:19am »

In my case, I've had CH for about 12 years now and only thing that seems to trigger on CH during a cycle is alcohol... Staying busy doesn't seem to help either. It would just hit me at odd times. I ust received new med "Axert" and praying to god it will work. If you have any opinions on this med, please post here...

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1042265454
IP Logged
b.bop
New Board Newbie

*blergle*

Email

« Reply #33 on: Jan 15th, 2003, 4:36pm »

I almost died when I read that alcohol is often a severe trigger, being 21 drinking is still a big part of my social life, but thankfully it doesn't affect me in that way.

I find sweet things (candy etc...) is the worst for me. Mainly the little fruity bon-bon type ones, a few seconds after putting them inmy mouth I can feel the pain starting to spread up the side of my face.

Hope you're all as well as you can be  Smiley!!!
IP Logged
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #34 on: Jan 15th, 2003, 4:49pm »

b.bop

so you get a CH from candy, but not alcohol?

you might want to get checked out again by a different neuro.  (that or re-read your post in a year or two!)

just my opinion!
Grant
IP Logged
b.bop
New Board Newbie

*blergle*

Email

« Reply #35 on: Jan 15th, 2003, 5:04pm »

Thanks for the feedback. It's not really an opinion, its just my experience as to what affects my CH's. I know alcohol affects alot of people, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss