Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:06am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Anybody taking both Verapamil and Topomax? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Anybody taking both Verapamil and Topomax?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anybody taking both Verapamil and Topomax?  (Read 1003 times)
K bogo
New Board Newbie

Anybody taking both Verapamil and Topomax?
« on: Dec 21st, 2002, 12:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I haven't done too many posts, so I will quickly relate my history again:  I am 30 (turn 31 on 12/24!) and have had eposodic clusters for 8 years from late Oct to mid Jan.  I also have complicated migraines which only started about 2 years ago.  Beginning last year (during a VERY bad unmedicated cluster season) the migraines started getting frequent and causing migraineous strokes.  I now have migraines year round caused by barametric pressure.
  I was diagnosed with the above last January and have been taking 240 mg Verapamil since then.  (I also take Imitrex injections as an abortive and 50 mg tabs for migraines) This has tamed the Beast tremedously this season.  When I went to the neuro on the 13th, instead of upping the Verapamil, he prescribed me Topomax 100 mg (2 25mg tab bed and 2 25 mg tabs morning - gradually working up to this dosage) AND 300 mg of Verapamil (3 100 mg tabs).  
   He said this combo should cut down more on the clusters (doing pretty good so far - lots of shadows and a few random hits) and help with the migraines also.   Anyone else doing this combo of drugs - if so, do you you feel as ditsy/dizzy as I?!?!?!?!?!?
Bumps and Bruises,  
Kim
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Re: Anybody taking both Verapamil and Topomax?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21st, 2002, 12:20pm »

It's the Topomax.  That stuff will make you stupid.

A little woozie at first and then you'll start losing your short term memory.  Unfortunately for me, it made me dumber and didn't stop my attacks.

Whatever works.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Lenny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:45am »

I agree with Bob,the topomax turned me into a zombie, .Constant nausea,no energy,clueless to the world( not so bad ;D Cheesy ;D )no help whatsoever from the beast !!! Have you ever tried Lithium?(works great with verapamil),its the only combo.that has ever helped me!! Good Luck and hopefully many PFDAN coming your way!!!!!!
          Lenny
IP Logged

yes a newbie,unfortunately not to the beast!!!Chronic - Clusterhead
SommelierCH
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I’m awed by the amazing resiliency that we possess

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22nd, 2002, 7:38am »

I found this, and it sounds scary to me.

Topomax ( Symptoms or Effects )

Common: Anxiety, depression, sedation, speech problems, double vision, abnormalities in vision, decreased appetite, impaired cognition, memory impairment, dizziness, impaired muscular coordination, tingling in the extremities, an unsteady gait, nausea, respiratory infections, or weight loss.

David J.
IP Logged

Wine is a little like love. When the right one comes along, you know it!
K bogo
New Board Newbie

« Reply #4 on: Dec 22nd, 2002, 1:57pm »

Thanks so much for all of your responses.  The Verapamil has been doing great for my clusters.  But now that I have the clusters slightly under my thumb (for now anyway),  the migraines have been really throwing me for a loop.  I wanted to ask about all this since I notice that many people with clusters also have migraines.  
  The Topomax combined with Verapamil seems to be helping some.   The shadows have lessened (some days none and some days every 3 hours) and I have had only 1 hit (a 7) and 1 migraine in 9 days.  It has gotten to where it is so hard to tell what works - not only are clusters tempermental depending on what "stage" or week I am in, but the Verapamil has really thrown off their rythem this year.  
 As far as the migraines,  instead of having the stoke symtoms (speech problems, memory loss, dizzyness, feel "foggy"Wink a few hours before and after the migraines, I have them every day all day from the Topomax!  Not good for my job.  I sound like a moron on the phone and feel as stupid as a box of rocks!  
  I stopped the Topomax last night - I just couldn't handle it.  I'd rather have the shadows and the migraines.  I am going to stay on the Verapamil - no real noticable side effects for me.  Again, if there is anybody out there with both clusters and migraines and has a good combo for both problems - I'd love to hear about it.  
  As for anybody reading this and considering taking the Topomax, I was only taking 50 mg (was eventually supposed to be up to 100) and had all of the side effects mentioned in the above posts except for the depression/anxiety and respiratory infection.  Pretty scarey stuff indeed!
  Just curious, Lenny, are you taking the Verapamil/Lithium combo for clusters only - or for clusters and migraines?  I agree with you on being "clueless to the world" - perhaps it isn't such a bad thing  Wink.  
Thanks again for your help!

Kim
IP Logged
vegas1002
New Board Newbie
USA 

It is what it is.........

vegas1002
Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 24th, 2002, 11:15am »

Happy Birthday today - I hope you are headache free!
IP Logged
K bogo
New Board Newbie

« Reply #6 on: Dec 25th, 2002, 2:29pm »

Thank you!  Yes, I had a PAIN FREE day - yippee!!! Cheesy
IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 25th, 2002, 5:33pm »

Happy Birthday Kim  Grin ;D (a day late) Really glad its been PF. Hope it lasts throughout the Holidays.
domm
IP Logged
diane
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:45pm »

I am in such a similiar situation and wish I had some encouraging words.  I had been "tolerating" life on nortriptylline for over 7 years becuz I failed all other meds for my clusters and migraines becuz of low blood pressure.  Like I said, "tolerating" life wasn't very enjoyable, so I decided to try again with the neuro docs and they wanted to try adding topamax to the regimen.  The starting schedule was tough.  The numbness and tingling was bad, but the leg and hip pain brought me to an ortho doc (and this is a ?normal side effect?  Other side effects included me being a constant airhead , my shower clogging with tons of hair,  but since I have lost a few pounds, I still manage to smile.  For the past 9 months I have been on 50 mg Topamax  twice daily and 100 mg Nortriptylline.  I have been ok - i still have clusters (pretty much a dull constant headache) but only 2 migraines in 6 months.  Maybe Nortriptylline is an option for you to check in to,,,
I need some help on getting off the Topamax - I want to get pregnant and am not willing to risk it.  Has anyone weaned off this med under the direction of a MD - i'm short on $$$ and am trying to research this without getting an outrageous bill.  HELP - and good luck to those who are staying with these meds - hope they continue to work for all of you....
IP Logged
Lenny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:42pm »

Diane,
 All you have to do is call the pharmacy( make sure you get a hold of the pharmacist ) they know alot more than these fu..ing dr. regarding,as far as tapering off of meds.
  As for myself i went cold turkey off of the topamax ( cant really tell you if i was sick from doing that ) i was in such a deep cloud and getting hit day and night from the beast. BTW the topamax did squat for me as far as the beast was concern. Lithium and Verapamil works wonders for me. Good Luck!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

yes a newbie,unfortunately not to the beast!!!Chronic - Clusterhead
Ueli

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

240 mg of Verapamil is a damned low dose for CH.  

Dr. Goadsby recommends: Up the Verapamil until it kills the attacks or the side effects get intolerable or a maximum of 920 mg is reached. Doc Robinson said at the last convention: Clusterheads take Verapamil at such a high dose it would give a cardiologist a heart attack.

My opinion: Much a higher dose than 240 mg Verapamil should be tried before going to the mind bending anticonvulsants.

PFNAD's
Ueli
IP Logged
K bogo
New Board Newbie

« Reply #11 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:08am »

Since I was only on the Topomax a couple of weeks, I did just quit the med cold turkey w/no apparent problem.  I just couldn't function - I had bruises all over from being so dizzy and running into the wall or down the stairs.  My speech was so messed up - I was not able to function at work or answer the phone.  I really couldn't say how much the topomax with Verapamil worked - Clusters were fairly mild and sporadic and my migraines seemed less frequent.  But for me, I am about at the end of my Cluster cycle and it could be coincidence.
  Since my Cluster cycle is ending  Cheesy the doctor is giving me 300 mg of Verapamil (sustained release)as "maintainance" and he said this is also the same preventative med they give for the type of migraines I have.  We will find out next season if this tames "the beast" enough.  It also appears to be taking away some of the migraines.  Because of fluxuating barametric pressure this time of year I get anyware from 12 - 26  migraine days monthly.   Pretty much feel like crap all the time.  Since the sustained release Verapamil, I "feel" like I am going to get the migraine - all the symptoms - no head pain.  When I do get a migraine w/head pain, it is much more dull.  I will be calling the dr. today to see what he has to say - he doesn't know I stopped the Topomax.  
  Keep your chin up, Diane.  I know it is much easier said than done.  Hopefully someone here can give you some advice on what type of med could help you since you have a blood pressure problem also.  You certainly don't want to have to rely on Imitrex as an abortive thru your pregnancy.  On the bright side, I did not have any Clusters and had only had very few "headaches" while I was pregnant both times (and was not taking preventatives).  Hopefully, this will be your luck also!  Soon after the baby, though, clusters hit me - big time.  This can be a problem if you are going to breast feed and are needing medication.  So much to consider.........
Kim
IP Logged
justin
New Board Veteran
USA 

what it is...

jdo201
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:20pm »

my neuro suggested verapamil and depakote. depakote is the same type of drug but some docs feel it doesn't have all those horrible mental and physcial side effects. really the only problem i have had with the depakote is some weight gain. i take 240mg verap in the morning and 240 at night. i was taking 1000mg of depakote at night. the extended release but have just recently bumped it up to 1500mg when i started getting a few breakthroughs. but other than a handful of breakthroughs my chronic cluster has ceased. yeah!

jd
IP Logged

if any clusterheads in NYC want to get together shoot me an email justinott@mac.com
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 8:12pm »

Topamax was a mind blowing drug for me...could not think, function or anything on it...verap had no side effects other than being alittle tired and constipated...smiles, nancyc
IP Logged
JB1234

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 6th, 2003, 10:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Smiley  I sympathize with your pain, and your plight for a cure.  I was on Topamax, too.  I had to get off of it right away.  Within 10 days I could barely do my job for losing my memory and the difficulty just articulating a simple thought.  

I'm blessed enough to have a neurologist who is very compassionate, caring, and dedicated to researching and curing cluster headaches specifically.  She has me on a new medication called Zonegran (zonisamide) at 100mgs a day.  She said anything much higher and I could have noticeable side effects.  I haven't been on it long enough to give you a yay/nay on it's effectiveness, but I'll keep the site posted.  She also happens to be working with the clinical trials that are mentioned on this page and I'm signed up for that if this doesn't work.

I wish you the best.  Hang in there.  Regards.
IP Logged
K bogo
New Board Newbie

« Reply #15 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 9:58am »

I had tried the depakote a couple of years ago before being diagnosed with clusters.  I was only taking it by itself - and it didn't help me with the clusters or migraines.  But now that I am taking Verapamil on a permanent bases, I wonder adding the Depakote would help me also?  Am I allowed to "suggest" this to my doctor  Grin.    The weight gain side affect has me a little paranoid, though.  Are we talking a couple of pounds - or a FEW pounds - just curious.  But when it comes down to it - it is really whatever works!
  JB1234, your neuro sounds fabulous!  Wish I had a doctor so dedicated to cluster research - a rare find.
Thanks,  
Kim
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 11:21am »

Hey Kim - I am replying a little late, but wanted to put in my two cents also.

I was on both Topomax and Verap during my last cycle.  Everyone here is correct that it's really a nasty medication.  The weight loss was wonderful though  Grin

There is another anti-seizure med (Keppra) that sometimes works for the ch's.  Not sure about the migraines.  It's not a strong medication to your system and is much safer than Topomax.  You may ask your doc about that.

You may want to talk to your OB before starting to get pregnant and find out how long you should wait to make sure that all the meds are out of your system.  Good luck to you with this endeavor   Cheesy

Hope you are feeling better...
Mia
PS - Happy Belated Birthday
IP Logged
K bogo
New Board Newbie

« Reply #17 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 6:50pm »

Thanks, Mia -  I will look into Keppra also.  Hey, you freaked me out on the pregnancy thing - nobody here trying to have another baby - he, he, he  Grin.  Think you might have gotten me mixed up with Diane's post.  Seriously, though, right now I am doing good - my Clusters appear to be over for this season -  I haven't had an attack in 6 days!   Now it's just the migraine thing.  I can't imagine how people with chronic clusters cope day to day.  Mine only last approx 3 months and there are days that I literally don't think I am going to make it through to the next morning.   It's only thanks to my trustie punching bag, family, and the great posts on this site that enable me to make it
Kim
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 9:45am »

Oops Kim - sorry about that   Wink  Yes I did get confused - and I can't even blame it on meds at this point! LOL

Glad to hear that things are looking up for you right now.

Mia
IP Logged
cluster0557
New Board Veteran

Migraines are bad. Clusters are Hell, I have both

bedazzled1051
Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 18th, 2003, 1:56am »

Topomax is what is causing the problem.

My symptoms where similar to yours and now I am on 240 mg Verapamil 3 x daily and 75mg Pamelor. Not fuzzy and the beast is tame for now.

I also use 25mg to 75 mg Indocin to deal with hemicrania continuum headache.

IP Logged

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional

Life is too short so push thru the _amn pain.

Jim
MadMan
New Board Newbie

Old Enough To Know Better

« Reply #20 on: Jan 21st, 2003, 10:35am »

I'm new to these Boards so I hope I'm doing this right.

How much Topomax are you guys taking that you are getting these side affects? ( The dizzies, speech deffects, memory loss, ect)  

I just upped my dose to 300mg a day. What can I look forward to?  

& btw: it hasn't stopped the Beast all together. He's still lurking out there!
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2003, 10:37am by MadMan » IP Logged

What Me Worry

NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 21st, 2003, 2:01pm »

MadMan - you can look forward to not driving.  Sorry, but I wasn't able to drive - way too dizzy and uneasy on my feet.  My fine motor skills were affected too.

But I believe the combo that I was on between that and the DHE IV drip actually stopped my cycle - so I would do it all over again to get the relief that I've gotten....

Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress...

Mia
IP Logged
diane
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

alternative therapies
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 5:00pm »

on Jan 20th, 2003, 5:03pm, diane wrote:
Jim mentioned hemicrania as continuum headaches - is it possible that I am not the only person that has a headache that never goes away?  My neurologist looks at my look I'm crazy when I say I live with a 24/7 headache.  My family just thinks I am a chronic complainer..."no one could possibly have a headache as often or as long as you do."  Wow!  This Post has really opened my eyes - Thank you....Jim is on Indocin - I failed this drug due to low blood pressure.  I was on Nortriptylline and Topamax and was tolerating my clusters, but the dull continuous headache never went away - has anyone ever tried any alternative therapies? (chiropracters, acupuncture, chelation, etc...) I am going on a drug holiday to attempt to get pregnant and need to do anything besides medication...I am desperate!  diane

IP Logged
pigeon
New Board Newbie
USA 

Trying to get out of my head

postit747   postit747
Email

« Reply #23 on: Feb 11th, 2003, 6:01pm »

diane- My cycle started on Nov. 1st, I started with 50mg topamax daily coupled with indocin as my meds.
I maxed out at 300mg topamax daily for about the last 1 1/2 months.  I'm tapering off now, first 200mg for 3 days then -25mg each 3 days following(175,150,125,etc). Shadows are still present, but seem to be fading, hopefully the beast will not return any time soon, I need a cold frosty.

Good luck
Joe P.
IP Logged
pigeon
New Board Newbie
USA 

Trying to get out of my head

postit747   postit747
Email

« Reply #24 on: Feb 11th, 2003, 6:15pm »

Madman- 300mg of topamax sux, there is no disputin' that, I was on that dosage for about 1 1/2 months.  The side effects are real, you don't even realize because your head is not what it use to be.  We all react different to the side effects, You gotta fight thru the fog in your head, driving is definitely tougher. Start carrying a notepad, keep track of realevant things, I would take my meds and forget 20 minutes later, write everything down.  Keep fighting, the beast and the meds are enough to break anyone, the  topamax got me out of my last cycle and it seems like I am at the end of another.  Hopefully your lifestyle will allow you some stupid moments.

Good luck
Joe P.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss