Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 3:19am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Occipital nerve block »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Occipital nerve block
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Occipital nerve block  (Read 929 times)
lulu2000

Email

Occipital nerve block
« on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 5:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have read about deadening the occipital nerve and in some cases this relieves CH.  They did it at the Mayo clinic in Texas and in Phila.  If it works with lidocaine then surgery is done so that it is permanent; some type of box is implanted.

Anyone here try it?  I am having the injection done on Monday.  The neuro I go to said he has done it for headache patients but had never heard of it for CH; I gave him the write-ups off of the web and he said he would try it.  Of course, if the injectyions don't work it's all over.  I think there was about a 40% success rate at the Mayo - it would mean no more drugs and no more headaches - sounds good.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Re: Occipital nerve block
« Reply #1 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 6:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here is aresponse from Dr. Dodick who does the surgery:

Dear Mr Pahlow,

I very much appreciate your letter. I am currently lecturing at a  
meeting in Montreal and was speaking with Dr Robinson just last night.  
He spontaneously began to tell me about what a wonderful experience and  
privilege it was to speak to your group recently. It is a rare and  
invaluable experience indeed to have the opportunity to hear the  
experience of such a large group of cluster sufferers. Dr Robinson is a  
wonderful doctor and superb neurologist. I work closely with Genarro  
Bussone and Massimo Leone who I suspect you know. I look forward to the  
opportunity to work collaboratively with OUCH. It is just this type of  
collaborative effort that will bring us to better treatment and  
hopefully a cure for Cluster headache.

Best wishes,

David W. Dodick M.D.
Department of Neurology
Mayo Clinic  
Scottsdale Arizona  

If you see Doc Dodick, tell him OUCH sent ya.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
RebekahD1

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 1:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

How did you make out with the injections?
IP Logged
notseinfeld
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Enough is Enough.        Vote Libertarian

krilldocument  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 27th, 2003, 10:08pm »

Lulu(2003)--

I had the OCN done about 8 months ago as the desperation string kept growing and I had to put in the 'tried that' junk pile. There was no discernable difference in the pain, frequency or inertia of the attacks. But, like you, I had read there was some success with someone somewhere thus it's worth a shot. Hope you fare better!

nots
IP Logged

-----------Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. ---------------------
athos
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Reality is for those who lack imagination!

athos_3d   Athos3d
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29th, 2003, 12:37am »

I met with Dr. Dodick in AZ he and his PA are the ones who diagnosed me with CH finally.

Nice guy shorter than I exptected....    Wink

Athos...

IP Logged

http://www.XdUP.com
Find Your Value For X
erik
New Board Junior
Canada 

figthing the mother off all battles.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 31st, 2003, 8:46am »

I did have had supraorbital/occipital/paravertibral nervebloks,  initial dose of marcaine0.5% totally 15cc, with 80 mg of depo medrol, tapered down to 40 mg of depo medrol on sucessive treatments. received the treatment 3 times a week for 12 weeks. initially it seemed to relief some of the attacks but did not last ones the freezing effect deminished the attack would come rite back, and much more intence. looking back my imitrex use never really dropped much during those treatments .I received mine at the rothbart painmanagement clinic in toronto in 1995 through 1996.
hope you have better success. they sure are painfull but nothing compared to the beast. good luck ERIK
IP Logged
hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 31st, 2003, 3:13pm »

I don't know if the "box" you refer to is the Medtronic device?

They do these blocks prior to an RFG procedure, where they use microwaves to irritate the nerves and deaden them for up to 6 months. IF it works.  The first one eliminated some pain for 2 weeks, then that was it.

A new Neurologist said if the block deadened the pain for even 2 hours, then it could be considered successful, and the patient might be a candidate for a spinal cord stimulator (SCS, medtronic) which uses electrical impulses or "white noise" to drown out the pain signals being sent by your nerves. They are using these in some areas to treat occipital neuralgia, but as the Doc said, cluster headaches are a whole different animal. Clusters are difficult to treat, notoriously unresponsive to most medications and surgery. Not much data and even fewer Docs who do this are available.

Advantages: (If it works)

No medication, rate of stimulation is controlled by the patient depending on intensity of pain. Less expensive than long-term medication use.

Disadvantages:

Scar (who cares?) incorrect placement of leads may not eliminate all of the pain, very expensive initially, may shut off near credit card scanners, or set off detectors in airports. Batteries have to be replaced every 10 years. Trying to find a Doctor who can or will do it to treat a CH sufferer.
IP Logged

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss