Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 5:13am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Acupuncture »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Acupuncture
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Acupuncture  (Read 533 times)
RobinT
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Acupuncture
« on: Jan 15th, 2003, 8:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi  

I just wanted to share my experience. I started having distant shadows in the beginning of December. On the 26th, I had a kip 8. I got to the Neurologist 12/31 and began the Prednisone.  Went back to work on 1/3 and made it thru the next two days.  By then I had stepped down on the Pred. and had full blown attacks again.  After firing my Neuro and finding a new one, I am still on 20 mg. of Pred. (getting ready to step down), 80 mgs of Verapamil (I hear is not enough) have 02 (just got, have not tried).  Maxalt did not work, not sure about the Imitrex (it was a pill and I don't know if it worked or the attack was over).

This past Monday I had my first acupuncture treatment by my new Neuro.  I hate to even mention it, but the last 2 nites I slept thru the nite!!!  I wake up with shadows....but who cares???? I can't believe it.  She  (my neuro) did not think one treatment would be effective.  My next scheduled appt is for Monday.  I am very hopeful.
IP Logged

Who's pain is normal any way?
b.bop
New Board Newbie

*blergle*

Email

Re: Acupuncture
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15th, 2003, 9:02pm »

Wow, I posted a message asking about acupuncture a month or two back as I was considering it. It's great to hear that it worked for you, I might give it a go. Keep me posted on your progress with it Smiley Have a good one!
IP Logged
rick
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 1:27pm »

Robin-

I went through many sessions of accupuncture through the course of my last cycle.  I would get 2-3 days of relief at a time from the treatments in some instances, other times, I'd get no relief at all.  It also cost me a lot of money.  I wasn't able to break my cycle, but I definitely did get some relief.  I've had success with mushroom therapy, so I'm going to be sticking with that for now.  Hope this helps!

-R
IP Logged
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 1:33pm »

Robin,
Please keep us posted on the acupuncture treatments. I have been wondering about this for a while now and would like to try if it helps.  
Also, I'd like to know if anyone has ever tried any other alternative treatments such as hypnosis.
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
Ueli

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 2:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My opinion about acupuncture is exposed in  

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1036479389;start=0

You won't like it.     ;D
IP Logged
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 4:38pm »

Robin

Glad to hear you are getting some relief.

About 15yrs ago, I gave acupuncture a shot.  Unfortunately, I didn't get the same results you are.  Instead, occasionally I would get a minor break of about 15minutes to 1/2 hour.  Usually, in the car on the way home, I would get hit again.

Considering it was costing me $50 per appointment and $25 each way in a cab, it just wasn't in my budget, then or now.

The beast treats everyone differently.  Keep us posted.

Good Luck,
Grant
IP Logged
firebrix
New Board Hall of Famer
New_Zealand 

I must never weaken.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 4:18pm »

In desperation, Mopar tried a three month stint at acupuncture and although we felt that the practitioner was well intentioned and doing his very best - he was most interested in CH and wanted to help - there were no positive results.

I did, a long time ago, study a little about hypnosis and I too wondered whether it may have a positive effect; even if all it did was reduce painlevels. I found little on this in Search.

Anyone tried hypnosis by a reputable practitioner?
I actually saw one once to try to quit smoking. What a joke! The man turned up in his Italian shoes and clothes, all teeth gold-inlaid - Knew as soon as I saw him that I'd wasted my $65.00! When he failed to cure my smoking habit I asked him some hard questions but it was by then apparent that this was a charlatan. I am reluctant to try this again without knowing that the hypnotist is for real.

Would be interested if anyone has had success by this method, even tho' it seems unlikely

cynical but still hopeful
firebrix
IP Logged

"All that it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 5:56pm »

If there was an acupunture needle long enough to reach my hypothlamus..........maybe.
For other "non-standard" treatments look here.....

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/non_script_treat.htm

IP Logged

Click The Flag
RobinT
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 8:54pm »

Here's the latest.  Had 3 nites of good sleep and only shadows during the day.  Thursday went to the Neurologist (who, by  the way is doing the acupuncture so I am only paying a $10 co-pay) and had my 2nd session.  It was way more intense, however, I was much more relaxed after having sleep without Kip 10's.  (the doctor didn't even recognize me until she read my name on the chart).  She used more needles and added electric stimulation.  When I left, I felt pretty good (she said some people are confused after treatment and most are tired).  When I got home, I started with a Kip 4.  Did go to bed and slept until 4:30 a.m. (I get up for work at 5 any way) but opened my eyes with a kip 4 that kept slamming me.  Tomorrow I step down to 10 mg's of Pred and plan on uping my Verapamil.  Earlier tonight I sucked down quite a bit of 02 and took an Imitrex.  I am thoroughly disappointed, but will be keeping my next appt (Monday).  Funny how I took those 3 days for granted  Cry

More later
IP Logged

RobinT
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 6:43pm »

Update as requested...

Today I have had my 4th treatment.  I have only had slight shadows for the last 5 days  Cheesy

Don't know if it's the Verapamil, the acupuncture, the combo. or what.....but I am thankful.

My neurologist wants me to try 1 visit next week.

She told me that in China acupuncture is performed 7 to 8 days in a row followed by a 5 day break.
IP Logged

Clustafux

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 24th, 2003, 1:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This Cluster I went to an acupuncturist. I've seen her 10 times since December 10th. While she was unable to stop the headaches, the acupuncture seemed to help lessen the muscular tighness in my shoulderblade through the base of my skull.  

I really don't understand how anyone could be sure the acupuncture worked because for the most part it is done in conjuction with several other methods. But at the same time I would never assert that it doesn't have merit, I just wish there was more data. Hey if it seems to work - on-on.
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24th, 2003, 4:41am »

"She told me that in China acupuncture is performed 7 to 8 days in a row followed by a 5 day break. "

It must work. I've been at this site for some time now and have never seen a Chinese clusterhead make a post and there are none listed in the "Where we live" section. hmmmmm  Wink

Sorry Robin T, just being a little sarcastic. But, I have to go with Ueli on this one.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss