Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 7:37am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex Vision Side Effects »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex Vision Side Effects
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex Vision Side Effects  (Read 432 times)
ozzman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

We who are not as others -- Chaos A.D. --Sepultura

OzzyVal
WWW Email

Imitrex Vision Side Effects
« on: Jan 24th, 2003, 10:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For those long time Imitrex users, I was reading the literature that comes with the medicine and I found this disturbing part as follows:

"Binding to Melanin-Containing Tissues: In rats treated with a single subcutaneous dose
(0.5 mg/kg) or oral dose (2 mg/kg) of radiolabeled sumatriptan, the elimination half-life of
radioactivity from the eye was 15 and 23 days, respectively, suggesting that sumatriptan and/or
its metabolites bind to the melanin of the eye. Comparable studies were not performed by the
intranasal route. Because there could be an accumulation in melanin-rich tissues over time, this
raises the possibility that sumatriptan could cause toxicity in these tissues after extended use.
However, no effects on the retina related to treatment with sumatriptan were noted in any of the
oral or subcutaneous toxicity studies. Although no systematic monitoring of ophthalmologic function was undertaken in clinical trials, and no specific recommendations for ophthalmologic
monitoring are offered, prescribers should be aware of the possibility of long-term
ophthalmologic effects.
Corneal Opacities: Sumatriptan causes corneal opacities and defects in the corneal epithelium
in dogs; this raises the possibility that these changes may occur in humans. While patients were
not systematically evaluated for these changes in clinical trials, and no specific recommendations
for monitoring are being offered, prescribers should be aware of the possibility of these changes"

Should we worry? I guess I'll have to ask my ophtalmologist next time.

Ozzy
IP Logged

"Always remember rule ONE" --Lu-Tze
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss