Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 8:57am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Zomig-ZMT »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Zomig-ZMT
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Zomig-ZMT  (Read 435 times)
SeanM
New Board Newbie

Email

Zomig-ZMT
« on: Jan 17th, 2003, 5:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everybody,

I have recently started trying the Zomig-ZMT 5 mg tabs, and I have had several CH's that have just blown right past it. How much can one really take? I know it says 10mg in 24 hrs...but can this be two 5 mg tabs in 1 hour?

Also, any comments on zomig vs imitrex effectiveness would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean
IP Logged
hornedone
New Board Newbie
USA 

Re: Zomig-ZMT
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 5:33pm »

Sean,  
I too have had hit and miss success with my combination of Zomig 5mg and Butalbital.  I've had one instance in which the pain was completely gone in 10 minutes.  However, I had Level 9 CH that was completely unfazed by this combo.  My Neuro, recently prescribed Topamax, but I am very hesitant to try it after reading all of the possible side effects.  I am trying to avoid narcotics, but I think I would rather deal with the side effects of an as needed narcotic then the daily dosage of Topamax.  

Hornedone

PS
This site and the information provided has been a Godsend.  I now know that what I am not alone in what I am going through.  Thank you all!!!!!
IP Logged

"I get headaches like those..."
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 7:26pm »

I used to take zomig and then repeat in 1-2 hours if needed.  Not to exceed 2 in 24 hours.  That is why I liked the imitrix because I know that can be exceeded.  I used to take 4 imitrix ns a day.  It gave me more coverage and narcotics the other half of the day to complete the coverage.  Something to think about.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
hornedone
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20th, 2003, 1:22pm »

Well, had two episodes this weekend (level 10 on Saturday that lasted 2 hours) that my combo did not relieve.  My Neuro prescribed me Ultracet to use instead of the Fiorcet (Butalbital) to use before I start my Topamax treatment.  My question for y'all (I'm a Texan so forgive my use of this word) is this.  What narcotic seems to work best for the pain of a high level CH?  I know that this isn't a long term fix, but when the big ones hit, I'll try anything.  

IP Logged

"I get headaches like those..."
SeanM
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20th, 2003, 2:31pm »

hornedone,

This cycle I have tried 100 mg propoxyphene but I can't say that it was much help. It seems you have to be willing to be on constant narcotics, or be able to predict when the beast will show, cause it just takes too long to get the narcotics on board once the headache starts...unless the headaches are lasting several hours.

I have not tried the injectible imitrex, but I thinbk I will because the zomig has been hit or miss.

Any advice for relieving verapamil induced constipation?

Thanks to all of you.

Sean
IP Logged
K.
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20th, 2003, 3:53pm »

Hi SeanM,
Sorry to hear you're in pain. I have tried both Maxalt and Zomig. They didn't work very consistantly for me. Imitrex injections are your best bet but you have to space them out if you can (see imitrex tip to the left) or you may get rebound. Are you using O2 because that will abort an attack some of the time to let you use imitrex at another time. As far as verapamil induced constipation....it sucks, doesn't it?? If it is really bad, then use a fleet enema and then start on metamucil (spell?) two times a day. Alway drink an extra glass of water after each dose. It will give you some relief...
Anyway....I'm no doc but suffer with the beast too. Make sure to check with your doc if you haven't tried the imitrex injections before.
Hope this helps and that PFDAN are ahead.
K.
IP Logged
cbolony
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 21st, 2003, 9:04am »

seanm imitrex injection should help you, a lot of people
on this site use it .They saved me a lot of times and using the imitrex tip will make them last longer because the insurance company are only going to give you so much
IP Logged
MadMan
New Board Newbie

Old Enough To Know Better

« Reply #7 on: Jan 21st, 2003, 10:54am »

Hi, I'm new here, but not to CH. @ 42 I've had them for as long as I can remember. And as of 2 years ago they became cronic. (For joy, for joy)  

In my case, all the Meds, Imatrex, Zomig, Amerge, Ect, Ect. work for a while, then it's like the Beast learns to defeat them. And then I have to switch.  

A year ago I started on Topomax @ 50mg, 6 months later the Beast burned through. I had to up the dose to 100mg. On Christmas Eve the Beast burned through again, now I'm taking 300mg & I'm not even sure that this is enough to keep it at bay.

After reading the posts about Topomax, I'm not sure I want to go any higher with the dosage.  

This is Off Topic, but I'm new to these Boards, I've been cronic for 2 years now, Anybody out there gone into remission after a bout that long? At least gone back to episodic? Lie if you have to -  
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2003, 10:56am by MadMan » IP Logged

What Me Worry

Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 21st, 2003, 1:34pm »

For constipation my dr has recomended Docusate Sodium.  It is an over the counter medicine and is safe to take on a long term daily basis.  It is a stool softner.  It comes in 100mg jel capsules.  Dr. recomends starting at 100mg in am and 100mg in pm if after 3 days you don't go you need to use a laxative and go.  Increase dosage to 200mg in am and 200 in pm.  See what happens.  If after 3 days you haven't gone use a laxative.  Increase to 300mg am and 300mg pm. You may take up to 400mg in am and 400in pm.  No more than that.  If you are still having problems then talk to your dr about this problem.  You should start to see results around the 200 - 300mg dose.  Good luck!
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 8:37am »

Would somebody please straighten me out on the "fast dissolving" Zomig tablets? Asked my neuro for one to keep in the pocket pill box just in case. He replied that the fast dissolving tab was no different then chewing a 5 mg pill thoroughly and washing it down w/a cup o coffee. Said the med was not absorbed rapidly....like nitro....the drug takes the same amount of time to get into the bloodstream whether fast dissolving or well chewed - too long.
Dunno ......just asking, just asking.......I'm an Imitrex kind of guy myself.

The Verap/constipation thing is much easier. Every day, eat a bunch of dried prunes & apricots, then chase it down with a bowl of chili. A _colon blow_ is pretty much guarenteed.......

"Stool" Pigeon,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
SeanM
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:49am »

I have now heard the same thing regarding the slow absorption of the zomig-zmt. I think the idea was to make it for migraineurs who are too nauseus to swallow a pill...

Sounds like injectible imitrex is the way to go.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss