Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 1:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « afraid of meds »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   afraid of meds
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: afraid of meds  (Read 419 times)
sabdet
New Board Newbie

afraid of meds
« on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 9:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, my first post.  I suffer from cycles every 18-30 months, currently in the 2nd week of one.  The last couple I have treated attacks with Oxygen, reasonably effectively, and have taken Prednisone, this time 100 mg for 4 days, then tapered by 10 less each day.  The Prednisone seems to do wonders for me, usually lessening the cycle within hours.  I haven't notice any side effects (I could stand to gain some weight and I already have a beard).

The doctor this time prescribed verapamil, 60 mg twice a day (I have low blood pressure).  I took the first one this morning, feel a bit woozy and light headed.  I have always been a little hesitant about using drugs if I don't need them, and worry about the verapamil.  They want me to take it for 60 days.  Does it seem to work?  

The doctor also prescribed lidacane, 4 mg that I am to drop in my nose during an attack as needed.  I picked it up last night and got freaked out by the warnings (careful, have resucessitative equipment nearby, etc).  Since I travel by plane for work sometimes, I had asked if there was something other than oxygen I could take for attacks.  I am afraid to try it, however.  I am a lawyer and understand the need for overstating warnings, and I have seen on this boardsite that many people use lidacane.  Is it something I need to be worried about?  

Any insight would be helpful.  Thank you.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Re: afraid of meds
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 2:03pm »

I tried lidocaine nasal spray a few years back.  4.5% solution in one of those pump nasal spray bottles.  I don't think it helped me at all.  It also didn't have any side effects.

I doubt 120mg//day of verap is going to do you any good either.  Doc Robinson, at the vancouver convention, said that clusterheads need to take it at levels that would give a cardiologist a heart attack.  960 - 1080 mg/day.

After oxygen, the best abortives are the triptan drugs, Imitrex injections.  Knock out an attack in 5 minutes.  These do have side effects for some people, tightness in the chest, difficulty breathing, etc.  Some people it doesn't phase at all.  Just have to give it a try and see.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: afraid of meds
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 4:47pm »

sabdet - welcome to clusterville ! Good advise from Bob above but stay with the Verapamil. 120 mg/day is low, but I had success at 180 mg/day. I have to watch bp also. It will take 5 to 7 days to really have any effect.
I use the triptans (Imitrex) also for abortives, (along with oxygen) but there are many new ones that some are having success with. Read up.
I never tried the lidocaine nasal thing. Some have and I'm sure they'll check in (Rev Deford comes to mind).
good luck
domm
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss