Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 5:38am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Another newbie seeking input, etc. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Another newbie seeking input, etc.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Another newbie seeking input, etc.  (Read 366 times)
neds550
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Another newbie seeking input, etc.
« on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 7:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm a long-time headache sufferer... "normal" ones when I was young, then "classical" migraines that began in my late 20s and seem to have tapered off in recent years (I'm about to turn 50), and now, for the past two weeks, my first cycle of what has clearly been cluster headache. These are far more painful than the migraines, but without any related side effects or symptoms, other than a slight tearing in the right eye. As awful as the migraines can be in terms of making me feel sick overall, this is much worse because of the sheer intensity of the pain... today, I had attacks at 1am, 4am and 7:30 am, the first time I've had them more than twice in 24 hours during this cycle.

In the past week, I've been at an ER and received a (clean) CAT Scan and a scrip for compazine (to get me relaxed, not for nausea, which I don't have), continued to have the headaches, been to my doc for some pain medicine (percoset pills -- good for calming me, but way too slow-acting), and today, to a neurologist. He's put me on a course of prednisone (60-40-20-10 mgs daily over 4 weeks), with nasal spray for the pain. Too soon to tell if it's gonna work... I'm a little worried about the side effects of the steriods, but if they help...

The neurologist has also ordered up a full MRI, as well as a carotid sonogram (to rule out any obvious vascular problems, presumably). Anyone had one of those, and have they shown anything in terms of underlying causes, etc.? Any other advice regarding diagnostic tests and the like? Just wondering...

My wife came across this site about a week ago, and, while I'm normally a skeptic and a non-joiner of these sorts of things, I've been utterly blown away by the degree to which the descriptions and comments I've read mirror my own (short-term, I hope) experiences.

So, anyone, what can you share? I'm generally not crazy about medication, though I'm willing to try just about anything for the pain...

Head hurtin' in the Philly 'burbs...
IP Logged
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

Re: Another newbie seeking input, etc.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 8:21pm »

Hi Nedds and welcome to the familly.

sorry you are having such a hard time with the beast.  Your doctor seems to be on the ball, alot of them really suck and dont have much knowledge of CH.  

Read everything you can on this site.  I learned more in one day here then in the 21 years of dealing with CH. Lots of good stuff about meds and if you go over to the general message posts to say hi, more people will see your posts and respond to them.

Good luck to you and hope you are pain free soon,

suzy
IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 8:36pm »

neds - welcome. What's up with Philly? we've seen more folks from your area lately.... Anyway - in the next few days (or as much time as it takes to read and digest this website and the OUCH website) you will learn all about abortives, like oxygen, Imitrex and other triptans, and preventatives, such as verapamil.  
Sorry you needed to find us, but you're in the right place.
PFDANs
domm
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24th, 2003, 9:12am »

Hi Neds

aren't all these tests very expensive? are they worth the cost? Especially if you have a long history of migraine. Why not get you doctor to prescribe imigran/imitrex injection and even take it under supervision to see if it has the desired effect of getting rid of the pain. If it works for you then its a safe bet you have ch. I guess if you want to put your mind at ease and have plenty of insurance or spare cash go for it, but it sounds like ch from your description. Do you get the pain on one side in the eye/temple area with the one nostril and eye red and watering. If so you almost certainly have ch. Save the insurance for the expensive meds.  

I'm about the same age as you and had a lifetime of migraine and headaches. Only got the cluster headache name for the bastards back in about 1995. I was never able to get any relief until the Imitrex injection came along. The nasal spray is crap for me as it never worked nor did the tablet form. The Prednisone usually gives some relief for a few days until the effect wears off. You get a short holiday from the pain but then its back with a vengeance and more Pred does nothing.

As for tranquilisers I reckon steer away from them. They don't help. Many also believe relaxation triggers them anyway!

Hope you cycle breaks soon.
John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
jamie_h
New Board Newbie

Whad up!!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24th, 2003, 8:52pm »

2 rounds of pred and verapamil helped break a recent cycle for me.  Oxygen also helps me abort about 75% of the time.  As you can read from all these messages, most CHer's get relief from one or more of the triptans.  As for me, Maxalt melts are the only ones that I tried, simply because it was the first one prescribed by my doctor.  Thank God it works every time for me!
;D  I was blessed to find a good neuro in my state that specilizes in headaches.

Dont give up the fight! Angry Angry

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2003, 8:53pm by jamie_h » IP Logged
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29th, 2003, 1:41pm »

Hi neds550,
If you're getting hit with CH's then this is the place to be. I've found more info. here than I have in 18+ years of dealing with different Dr's.
If you don't like using meds then try oxygen. It's clean with no side effects and it usually aborts my ha's in about 5 minutes or so.
Good luck and PFDAN's to you!
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss