Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 3:43pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Maybe not practical, but.... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Maybe not practical, but....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Maybe not practical, but....  (Read 464 times)
Dave_W
New Board Junior

Pain Free Days!!!

Email

Maybe not practical, but....
« on: Jan 16th, 2003, 1:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

OK, fellow CH students, my suggestion may be goofy but it's only partly posed in fun.  Perhaps there's a micro-mechanical way to accomplish this if it indeed is a worthwhile abortive method.  I intend this for thinking and discussing only.

In olden years, before I (or my doctors) knew what these attacks were, I knew that I could get some very brief relief by compressing the throbbing artery in front of my right ear.  During some really bad (10) headaches, I would often stand in front of the bathroom mirror (while throwing hot water on my face) with a razor blade in hand and try to convince myself that nicking that artery would reduce the pressure and make the pain stop.  I never actually did it -- but I have a similar circumstance to report.

Last night, I had an attack start up and it was really coming on full force quickly.  I blew my nose to make way for an Imitrex nasal spray, and due to a nasty cold I've been nursing I caused myself to have a short but vigorous nosebleed.  Instant relief!  Over the years I can count maybe as many as half a dozen such occurrences.  In fact, one of the crazy-insane things I do when I have a 10 going and can't get it stopped is try to violently blow my nose in hopes it will bleed.  I'm not often successful, maybe only two or three times in my life have I been able to draw blood but in each case it did the trick.

The theory here is that in letting out some liquid, the dilated vessels that are causing the pain must contract, even if it's just a little bit, which stops the pain.  So here's the deal:  why not tee into that main artery in front of our ear, and hang a tube out with a valve on the end?  When the beast comes, open the valve and drain for a few seconds (maybe a teaspoon lost), close the valve, and go on about your business pain free.  

There would be many benefits.  No more chemicals, quick relief, and the surgery should be minor.  Plus, we'd be able to pick out all of our fellow clusterheads on the street by virtue of the valve handles hanging out the sides of their heads.

I'd like to hear all thoughts, positive and negative (I'm fairly flameproof so don't hold back).  Does anybody think that a real such option, in the form of a small mechanical shunt, might be worthwhile?

Here's to research!  ??? ??? ???

Pain Free Days, all!!

Old Decrepit Dave_W
IP Logged

Old Decrepit Dave
Ueli

Email

Re: Maybe not practical, but....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 10:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

LOL Dave,  
Re-incarnation of the blood letting, popular 200 years ago.  Grin

On the other hand, I know of a guy who claims to have ended two cluster cycles by applying 4 leeches (hirudus medicinalis) to his neck for a couple of hours, until they dropped by themselves when sated. In the case of leeches it may not be the loss of a small amount of blood but more the chemicals they inject to keep to flow running. Who knows....

Ueli
IP Logged
Kirsten

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 10:28am »

Yesterday I would have inserted the shunt by myself, and I do the blowing hard thing too, a leftover from when I thought it was a sinus headache.  but,  vascular shunts are loaded with problems.  It is an easy path to the brain for infection, and any blood clots forming in the shunt could  travel to the brain, heart or lungs for a stroke,.  I do like the image though!
IP Logged
ave

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 10:32am »

Would those be anti-coagulents like they use for trombosis?

(Do we know anything about trombosis and clusterheadache ever occurring together? If they do, bang goes another nice theory out of the window.)

On the other hand, Dave, if you want to lose blood, why not become a blood donor. Who knows, it may help.  
Save some lives while you are at it.

IP Logged
clavers
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 11:27am »

About a year or more I reported a peculiar incident on this web site.  I was in the doctor's office and he had sent me to the lab for a blood test.  As I sat and waited for the tech to get to me I started to get a bad CH. I had no imitrex or anything with me and I didn't know what to do.  Then I was called into the lab, so I went and sat and the tech took three big tubes of blood.  I immediately noticed that the CH had gone away.  It just vanished while the blood was being drawn.  A couple of people found this interesting, but others made jokes about vampires, etc.  I am glad to read about your experience.  I don't really know how this can be used, however, we can't cut a vein every time a CH comes on, but it is none the less interesting information.
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 7:54am »

I like this crazy idea. Maybe reducing the volume of blood in the system slightly has an effect on the pressure causing arterial dilation during CH.

Has anyone tried donating blood during a cycle? Any effect on CH?

I used to donate blood every 3 months or so for a short period in my 30's some 20 years ago, but stopped when they no longer required my blood for plasma. I had hepatitis/yellow jaundice as a kid so they can't use my blood for transfusions and they can manufacture plasma now without blood (so I was told).  

I can't remember if I had any relief from CH in this corresponding period of my life, but I do know I had some fairly long HA free periods around this time. Last cycle I was wracking my brain trying to make an association with something I was doing differently during this time to be HA free but could not make any connection.

If I get another cycle I may just try and get them to take a pint from me and see if it has any effect.

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
dulus
New Board Newbie

Sleep is all i seek

dulus1   Dulus
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29th, 2003, 12:39am »

I do remember a year or two ago reading a post on here about someone giving blood during a cycle and finding some relief.  Have never tried this myself.  One would think i'd have tried that by now, after all, it's free, and sure beats the hell out of sacrificing a chicken(can get messy, and doesn't help the CH much)

Dustin
IP Logged
Tom54
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29th, 2003, 2:53pm »

I'm a believer that the pain is "caused" by a "sudden" change in blood flow. Not Blood Pressure...Blood Flow (Volume). Body temperature decreases slightly while my face becomes flushed, just before the onset of a CH. If body temperature decreases and pressure remains stable, blood volume must reduce. Blood pressure remains constant. (Took Blood pressure and Temp over several episodes...daily occurence for me over 3 years) The "loss" of blood volume results in reduced O2 levels at the pain region. Why it occurs in or on my left temple area is the unknown. This would explain Why Imitrex Injection works as well as Oxygen. Imitrex reduces blood flow. Additonally, the "sensation" that a CH is about to occur at any moment is ALWAYS present. It is a strange feeling....as if the body is saying, "you're not breathing correctly....breathe...breathe more."
CH is defnetly an atypical pain in the head. Perhaps a natural "valve" (as you relate to...) in the head or in-line with the arteries is misfunctioning or not present.
Heard of any talk about this?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss