Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 8:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Mother Nature vs Meds »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Mother Nature vs Meds
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mother Nature vs Meds  (Read 533 times)
das
New Board Junior

It's 2:22, make a wish.

Mother Nature vs Meds
« on: Feb 4th, 2003, 3:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello Hello,

I just have to fill you in on my success with mother nature's CH cure (for some, unfortunately not for all). I have been med free for a little more than a year and I am a chronic CH sufferer. As soon as I start getting shadows I dose about 1/4-1/2 g of mushrooms. What can I say. It works for me. I had a CH filled day on Sunday and spent the whole day trying to get my hands on my cure, which I had unfortunately run out of. Finally got some and dosed a small amount in tea. about an hour and a half later I was still feeling crappy so I dosed some more. The second dose actually made me trip a little, but usually I don't even have to feel the effects for the cure to work. Yesterday, I felt the shadows a little but I think the mushrooms were suceesful in blocking the full effects. Usually after dosing, I get shadows for a few days and then I'm good for the next month to 2 months. During these remission periods I am fine. No triggers. I can drink wine or beer, smoke occasionally etc.

I know this isn't right nor does it work for everyone, but I can't tell you how happy I am that I don't have to pump meds into my body anymore. It only makes sense that the earth provides natural cures for our sickness... don't you think??

Good luck and if you've never tried this remedy, I strongly recommend it...

IP Logged
dizzyd
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Mother Nature vs Meds
« Reply #1 on: Feb 4th, 2003, 6:18pm »

Hi,

I have read your postings and even read the the links on the mushroom therapy.  I would love to try it but to be honest I am scared to death of it.  Finding the mushrooms, taking the right dosage, tripping, all very scary to me..............it would be so worth it if it worked but I do not know if I have the courage.  I have been suffering for 22 years with this and have been chronic for a very long time now and this past month has been the worst and I am ready to try almost anything.  Maybe some more research...............

glad it worked for you,  

Dizzy-D --Dawn
IP Logged
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #2 on: Feb 5th, 2003, 6:28am »

das --

Thanks for the report on your successful treatment.  The folks using and researching this treatment need all the details we can get on both successful and unsuccessful attempts. Information in a few key areas is very important: were you using any other medications when you first dosed? What species and strain were you using (helps estimate the actual dose of psilocybin/psilocin)? Do you repeat the dose a second or third time? How many doses did it take? Some folks get full relief with just one dose, more often two or three doses are needed. Usually, chronics have required multiple doses for relief, at least when first trying to break the beast's schedule.

>>I know this isn't right nor does it work for everyone, <<

Right or wrong has nothing to do with it. It may be illegal, but that doesn't mean finding the best treatment for a condition that can ruin your life is "wrong." Illegal in this cse means you must be discreet.

Dawn -  

Keep reading and researching. Do not try this treatment if it frightens you. You are right to be cautious,  this treatment must be taken seriously, but should not be frightening.  

In many cases, the dose needed will small enough you won't really go on a "trip," though you will feel effects -- about the level of two or three beers (tho the mental effts are quite different from alcohol). But you need to be prepared for an "interesting experience," because it may happen. On the ClusterBusters FAQ page there are some comments on the importance of "set and setting" (state of mind when taking the drug and the environment in which you take the drug) to having a comfortable, perhaps even enjoyable, experience.  

If you are seriously insecure, or have significant mental problems, this treatment is not recommended.  But also understand that many perfectly legal, prescription drugs for CH can have serious psychoactive effects, and sometimes these effects can be plenty unpleasent. (Worst "trip" I ever had was on over-the-counter antihistamines).

Anyway, I think you're on the right track: more research never hurt... Please feel free to ask questions. These are folks that know much more then me that come around the medications message board, and they can help.

-tommyD
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2003, 6:30am by tommyD » IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
das
New Board Junior

« Reply #3 on: Feb 5th, 2003, 8:50am »

Tommy... a little more info.... as requested.

I have not been on any meds at all for the last 14 months. Usually one dose of 1/3-1/2 g would suffice.  This time, I dosed twice in a row. Meaning dosed... still had some pain, dosed again felt better. I am still feeling some strong shadows, so I will take a 3rd dose this evening.

I usuallu dose once every 6 weeks or so, or whenever I start getting shadows again.

You asked what strain of mushrooms I take/took and unfortunately I have no clue. I would assume that where I live there isn't a large selection of strains...In fact, my guess would be the it is always the same kind. I would say it must be something local to North America... perhaps from BC?? I do not know, but I will try to find out.

Dawn.... do not be afraid of mushrooms. If you take small doses, you won't feel the effects too strongly. Even if you do feel them a bit, you'll just end up laughing at things you wouldn't normally laugh at...  

When taking high doses, a strong will and mindset are required. Otherwise, people can temporarily lose it, but I'm talking ingesting 3-4 grams at once...So, taking 1/3-1/2 a gram unless you are taking the strongest mushrooms around, will have very little effect on you.

Remember, people take mushrooms for recreational purposes... basically to have fun...  

If you do decide to take them, just be with a close friend or someone that can calm you in case you get unnerved...

Best of Luck...

IP Logged
das
New Board Junior

« Reply #4 on: Feb 6th, 2003, 8:24am »

FYI, 3rd dose last night. Very small amount. Didn't feel any effects of the drug. I think I squashed the beast for now..

All these posts about meds and people worried about side effects and cost. Shrooms is cheaper has no side effects and probably works better than a lot of meds...

Let's see, I've spent 90$ CAN in the last year, have had no appointments with my neuro (= no waiting in waiting rooms), no meds, no 02... been able to drink wine and beer, smoke and function like a normal human..

i'll keep you all posted....

be pain free !!
IP Logged
Jarvis
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 7th, 2003, 1:17am »

Good to hear. I too would like to try this as I havent yet found anything to work for me. I'm not worried at all about taking it, its just a matter of getting it. Concern is growing it. Sub-zero temps outside and Kids are into every nook and cranny. All I need is for them to say something at school about daddy growing shrooms in a small conservative midwestern town. All in due time I'm sure I will find some. By the way what is the storage life of shrooms.and does the potency change over time. .... I have read all the info and I think that was covered but I forgot... It seems you guys are pretty positive about it. Does anyone know of a way to legally grow it. Or legal reasons to grow it. I have a farm and barns that would be ideal in summer.
IP Logged
das
New Board Junior

« Reply #6 on: Feb 7th, 2003, 8:18am »

Jarvis,

Check out the web site:

http://www.shroomery.org/

You will pretty much find out everything you need to know about growing, storing and ingesting shrooms.

It is unfortunate that there is a stigma attached to this remedy, but at the end of the day,who cares. What would you rather, suffering pain or a little shame. I'll take the shame thank you.  

Perhaps in the future, this will become as acceptable as medicinal marijuana. If you ask me, there is no difference especially when you consider that the necessary dose isn't significant enough to make you act funny...unless of course you want to. Smiley

IP Logged
hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 7th, 2003, 9:08am »

I have tried everything else, so this seems like the last unexplored frontier. I kind of agree that it is a natural product, rather than created in a lab, so if it works...

Some of the research I read mentioned a guy who got around the legality of storing them buy keeping them in raw honey...in Canada I guess it wasn't illegal to do this and he stored them between cycles.

The one sticky problem, like Jarvis, is how to get it. I have read the research and it does seem complicated to do yourself. There are shortcuts, (the little bags with all of the pre-mix) but knowing my luck, I would be three weeks into it and would hear the doorbell ring and there would be a nice young man with some official-looking papers on my doorstep.
IP Logged

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
das
New Board Junior

« Reply #8 on: Feb 7th, 2003, 4:29pm »

Where I live shrooms are readily available..lucky for me. I guess growing your own could be a hassle, but I wouldn't worry about getting caught.... Imagine the precedent that a case like this could set .Then again, I am not sure I'd like to be the guy who has to worry about such a legal precedent being set.  

Also, Canadian law enforcement and law makers do not seem to overreact to the same extent that their US counterparts do when it comes to soft drug possession.
IP Logged
firebrix
New Board Hall of Famer
New_Zealand 

I must never weaken.

« Reply #9 on: Feb 7th, 2003, 4:59pm »

http://home.attbi.com/~rwold350/

check this out guys.
Contact me if you need more input.
firebrix
IP Logged

"All that it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 7th, 2003, 5:29pm »

Growing them is probably the safest way for health reasons and legal reasons (dealing is the most likely way to get caught).  Growing is much easier than it sounds... hardly any effort, just a bit of forethought.  Mix up the soil and keep them in the dark.  Birth them, fan them, and harvest.

Potency will degrade over time, especially if the storage methods are not optimal.

As for United States law... forget about anything you've heard about storing them in honey.  That may be legal in Britain, but not in the USA.  According to Federal (USA)law, psilocybin and psilocin are considered Schedule I controlled substances and therefore possesion is a federal offense.  Substances receive a schedule I designation if they are considered to be highly addictive and have no medical value (apparently the US government is incorrect on both counts).  

So, in this screwy system marijuana and shrooms have a more stringent classification than cocaine and amphetamines (which are schedule II because while they are highly addictive, they do have medical value).
 Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
3Mshroom

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 8th, 2003, 7:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi there,
I posted here quite awhile ago about my use of mushrooms as medicine. I suffer from an atypical form of cluster headaches in that I cycle almost monthly. I tried several medications that did not work for my headaches.
I discovered mushrooms when I was 17, 21 years ago. They are the only thing that I have found that works on my headaches. Drugs like Immitrex have a rebound effect on me in that about 12 hours after a dose the headaches are back and instead of the headaches cycle lasting 4 or 5 days they can go on for weeks as long as I keep taking the medicine.
In the beginning a single dose could keep me headache free for up to a year but it seems that there is a tolerence that builds over time. I now have to dose almost monthly. Fortunately I know several people that grow that keep me supplied with medicine.
Growing mushrooms is easy using methods such as the PF Tek. Anyone wanting to learn how to grow I suggest you check out the archives at www.theforestfloor.org or www.shroomery.org
IP Logged
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #12 on: Feb 9th, 2003, 9:45am »

Thanks for the report, 3M. You visited the board a few months before I ever heard of CH, but I recall reading your post in the archives with interest.  

At 21 years, you may hold the record for using shrroms for clusters the longest. Building tolerance over the long term is an important issue, but we have little evidence. Very few folks have used this treatment for more than a few years.  

Flash is a long-term user, about 10 years, I think, and from his reports I get the impression he tries to limit the number and size of doses as much as possible, for fear of building a long-term tolerance or just having the treatment stop working one day, as so many CH treatments seem to do. Might be something to keep in mind.

There are a lot of folks who reported successful shroom treatments back in 2000 and 2001, but we haven’t heard from them since. So if any of you are reading, how’s it been going since?

-tommyD
IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
Flash

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 9th, 2003, 1:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My guess is that we don't here so much from them because they no longer require the support of a peer group.  I personally have less incentive to visit now that the threads on this treatment have taken up a life of their own.  

In the beginning pinky and myself had to work really hard to keep this treatment alive.  If we hadn't kept pushing the issue to the forefront then I fear it would have become lost and forgotten about.  The only reason we pushed it so much was because it is so effective.

I last dosed back in July 2001, and although I went through a few weeks of mild shadows about 6 months ago the treatment has held firm.  For the record that was a level 1 experience!!!

One interesting thing from this thread is that we have never research whether dosing within 5 days intervals is effective.  I have always waited at least 5 days between doses because in recreational terms the trippy effects do not occur if the shrooms are ingested more frequently.  I had assumed the same would be true of using them to treat CH, and we have been advising people accordingly.  Now I wonder if it is indeed necessary to wait between doses.  If it isn't then the risk of occasional unpleasant effects is diminished.

Also for the record this is exactly my 10th year of treament, I began in Jan '93, although in those days my reasons for using hallucinogens were recreational - it wasn't until Oct '95 that I made the link between hallucinogens and my lack CH.  I have been episodic since '86.

Regards

Flash
IP Logged
firebrix
New Board Hall of Famer
New_Zealand 

I must never weaken.

« Reply #14 on: Feb 9th, 2003, 2:19pm »

We are grateful that you and Pinky worked so hard Flash! A king-sized Thank You!
Like you, I wondered about the 5 day wait - maybe smaller amounts more regularly ( like a med) might work too? Do you know if anyone has ever tried this?
So pleased to hear you're PF!!!!
firebrix
IP Logged

"All that it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke
hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 10th, 2003, 11:18am »

If a Doctor gives it to us, drug or not, it's okay, because they are in a position of authority. Society has taught us that those who get the drug themselves are "bad". I have quite a few years of McGruff visits to my school and "just say no" programs to get around. It's warped.

So it's time to be torn between if you know there is something that may help, shouldn't you at least try it? Everytime I get hit, I think about it, and that's pretty often.

In the meantime, I much appreciate you keeping thread going so that at least we have OPTIONS and can continue to hear how others have fared with this. Keep em coming. The links are especially helpful.
IP Logged

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
das
New Board Junior

« Reply #16 on: Feb 10th, 2003, 3:57pm »

Very interesting stuff to say the least...

I was getting good results, but after dosing a few times in the last 2 weeks, last night I got about a 7 that after dosing became a 4-5. The minor pain lingered until bed time. Today I am out of it, as I always am after a CH. I cdall it the CH hangover.  

I might try waiting a bit longer before I dose again, but this reoccurrence has me a little worried.

Could it be stress...?? When I get really stressed I find CHs come more easily and frequently.. Weather affects me too. The dog days of winter are always hard for me CHs or not. Summer is always better. Anyone else affected by stress and/or weather?

IP Logged
hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 10th, 2003, 4:53pm »

If it's storming, it's worse, but I think I am the opposite. I like the cold, clear days, where I can go outside and stick my face in the snow. The heat makes me miserable and will escalate the insensity of an attack, even if I just get into a hot car, or have the heater vent blowing on my face. I can't stand it.  

I think there are others out there that cycle up in response to changes in the barometric pressure, regardless of their climate, seems like all of us are split along the middle as far as what helps, or aggravates, heat or cold.

PFD
IP Logged

Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 11th, 2003, 12:52am »

on Feb 9th, 2003, 1:09pm, Flash wrote:
One interesting thing from this thread is that we have never research whether dosing within 5 days intervals is effective.  I have always waited at least 5 days between doses because in recreational terms the trippy effects do not occur if the shrooms are ingested more frequently.  I had assumed the same would be true of using them to treat CH, and we have been advising people accordingly.  Now I wonder if it is indeed necessary to wait between doses.  If it isn't then the risk of occasional unpleasant effects is diminished.

Flash

OK, well this is something I can comment upon.
I know it has been discussed whether or not the hallucinogenic aspects were necessary for success.
Maybe I'm the first to log on in this area, but I can attest that it seems necessary to reach trip levels of 2, to have a positive effect on the clusters. At least it has been that way for me. I dosed approximately every 3 days for a couple weeks, with no positive results to speak of. It was also impossible to reach above a level 1 trip.  
It also seems to have caused a bit of tolerance problem. Its been difficult to get over the *hump* into deep space 2, so to speak, even when waiting 7 days.

Although I would get some relief (5 or 6 hours) it wouldn't seem to effect the cycle.
I think the 5 day rule...is in effect!!!

I have talked to people and seen written reports of people doing shrooms once every week for up to 20 years with no diminishment in the effects.

Even with using the shrooms so often, I haven't noticed any unpleasant side effects. As a matter of fact...this third arm will come in handy in Las Vegas. I can now play cards AND count my chips at the same time Wink

BobW
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss