Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:50am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Amerge and Heart attack »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Amerge and Heart attack
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Amerge and Heart attack  (Read 397 times)
aerobatika
New Board Newbie

Email

Amerge and Heart attack
« on: Feb 11th, 2003, 5:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is my first post - so be patient. I wanted to let folks know my recent experience with Amerge. It appears I had a heart attack caused by this drug. I had the 2.5Mg tablets prescribed to me by my Neurologist for my acute cluster headaches. I had taken them 4 of 5 days, awoke in the middle of the nite sweating with a level 7 headache, took an Amerge, 30 minutes later my left arm was numb and I had shortness of breath. Didn't know what was happening but had enough sense to call 911. They came and the ECG showed possible Heart attack. I ended up in the hospital for 4 days due to a Myocardial Infarction.  
Now the doctors are concerned because this is unusual for an active 41 yr old male, with NO history or family history of heart problems, borderline cholesterol, non smoker, non drinker, I don't even drink coffee. The heart catherization reveiled NO heart disease or arterial abnormalities.  
The doctors believe the Amerge cause vasospasm of my right artery.
I would like to know if anyone has had similar issues with Amerge or drugs in the same family.
And I would like to warn folks of some possible serious side effects.  
Very scary for my family and me.

Thanks
Craig
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2003, 8:47am by aerobatika » IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: Amerge and Heart attack
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11th, 2003, 8:08am »

I am not aware of anyone going through this as a result of amerge or another triptan but they say in the leaflet with the medicine not to use it if you have a history of heart disease and I also think they state it could cause heart problems and to be alert for signs using it. At least that is the impression it left me with.  I am so sorry this happened to you.  I will pray you have a speedy recovery.  
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
marvinj
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 15th, 2003, 2:31pm »

I am so glad you wrote this.  My friend marvin has been taking Amerge 2.5 twice a day for six weeks (his cluster cycle).  I am and have been concerned for sometime as to the effects this will have on him.  The amerge leaflet does warn of effects if you have heart conditions, but marvin is 37 years old and very healthy.  He seems much more tired and sleepy after a bout.  Did this happen to you.  I will be calling the doctor soon about my concerns.  Would love to hear from anyone.
IP Logged
Ann
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Annage

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15th, 2003, 7:26pm »

I'm so sorry you had such an awful experience with amerge!  I've been taking it for 3 years, I usually take 1/2 a 2.5 mg pill every night for several months a year.  When at the peak of my cycle I take a full one.  I have never had that happen to me and I have a family history of heart disease. (my dad had a triple bypass a few years back)  I also suffer from prolapsus of the mitral valve as well as a heart murmur.  My neurologist is aware of these problems and my cardiologist is aware of the meds I take for my clusters.  They both seem ok with my taking it.  
I hope you find something else that will help you deal with your clusters and I wish you a speedy recovery!
hugs
Ann
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss