Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 8:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Help with Imitrex »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Help with Imitrex
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help with Imitrex  (Read 448 times)
amber
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Help with Imitrex
« on: Feb 20th, 2003, 6:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey everyone,
I'm a little new to the cluster scene  Cry
I've been misdiagnosed for a while and now I'm on topamax (200mg a day) with verapamil and I was told to try and stay away from the imitrex pills I was using (i was using them 4 or 5 times a week to get rid of headaches.  
Since I started with the verapamil my headaches have been non-stop and my doctor is away and I couldn't help it but I took an Imitrex last night.  Is it that I'm causing more headaches by taking the imitrex?  Am I going through some sort of withdrawal now?  I'm an absolute Mess.  I can't find much info on how long it takes to detox from Imitrex, if that is in fact the problem, but I have nothing for pain, and I don't know what to do.  
Any advice???
Thanks  
Amber
IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Help with Imitrex
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2003, 9:12pm »

amber - sorry to hear you're getting hit so hard. I used Verapamil to prevent CH, and I used Oxygen and Imitrex to abort them. After the Verap kicked in (5 - 7 days), I didn't need any abortives. I never had HAs from the Verap, although overuse of Imitrex did leave me with a dull HA - not a CH attack, but a plain old annoisance headache. I can't remember hearing anyone complain about Vera and HAs, but here's a link listing side effects -
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/verapsr_ad.htm

Have you tried O2? No side effects and it works fast when used properly.
I have read good and bad about Topomax. Use the search button and look up past posts on it.
Read up and good luck.
PFDANs
domm
IP Logged
amber
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2003, 9:15pm »

thanks for your info Domm.  I feel so new to the "scene"...wandering around with my eyes closed.  Thanks for responding so quickly.  

This headache was definitely one sided and brutal.  Not dull at all.  I will do research.
Thanks again!
Amber
IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 20th, 2003, 9:35pm »

amber - try oxygen. It aborts quickly, is cheap, no side effects. Check out the OUCH website also. There's tons of info there and a great archive section. Good search feature. Hell - join up. Its free and you can add your voice to the rest of us to push for a cure to this damn horrid condition.
hang tough
domm
IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 20th, 2003, 9:43pm »

amber - one more comment. Make sure of your diagnoses. There are many conditions that have similar symptoms but are not CH and require different treatment strategies. Take the cluster quiz and "get thee to a neuro".
Good luck
domm
IP Logged
cbolony
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21st, 2003, 7:10am »

amber the first 4 weeks of my cycle i get 3-4 ch a day
then they start coming down 2-3 then 1-2
then they are gone 6-10 weeks for my cycle to end.I get 3-4 cycles a year.I use imitrex injections 1/2 doses for every ch.The pills take to long to kick in 30-40 mins.I also started using oxygen which some times it works for me at the end of my cycle which good because i have to save my imitrex for the next cycle.amber hang in there
life gets better after your cycle ends.If you do not like needles they also have imitrex in nasal spray with kicks
in about 10-15 mins
IP Logged
amber
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 21st, 2003, 9:08am »

domm,

as far as neuros, I'm working with the montreal neurological institute, which are "good people".  They aren't entirely sure yet of the diagnoses but they "feel" it is clusters.  So i'm journaling at this point.   We're all living under the assumption that "amber has clusters".  It's definite that it isn't migraine.  No one is sure just yet.  But I'm waiting to talk to my neuro as he's only in on tuesdays. (i work with the resident of the top notch guy at the clinic...this clinic is one of the best in the world eh? hehh..not bad) Anyways i'm mentioning oxygen to them and a number of things and I'm stopping verapamil today and doing a little test of my own.  My gut instinct is that I reacted to the vera.  I react to everything.

I"m just special like that  Grin

Thanks again for all your info and keep posting if you think of anything else.  off to try to sing my heart out in classes (I'm a music student here in good old canada)
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 21st, 2003, 2:10pm »

Amber,
The amont of imitrex you are using is nothing compared to most clusterheads.  2-3 injections per day, every day for months on end is not unusual.  They don't suffer any rebounds either

Most clusterheads get 1-3 attacks per day.  They can range from 1 every other day, up to 8 per day and still meet the criteria for clusters.  An idividual attack lasts from 15 minutes to 3 hours.  They come on quickly (5-10 minutes) and leave just as quickly.  The pain is unimaginable for a non-sufferer.  Everything else in life stops during an attack.  Dealing with the pain is all consuming.

Most chronics I've talked to have learned to live with this thing.  They have found treatments that work the best for them and they just deal with it.

Episodics at least get remissions so they have something to look forward to.  4 to 8 weeks of daily attacks followed by 4 to 8 months of nothing.

Verapamil is an effective preventative for about 30% of sufferers.  Even though it lists headache as a possible side effect of verap, I've never heard of anyone complain about it.  I'm betting the side effect headache of verap is nothing compared to a cluster so they don't even mention it.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
dizzyd
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 21st, 2003, 4:18pm »

Hi Amber,

I just want to let you know that I had to STOP TAKING TOPAMAX because it gave me constant headaches and made the clusters so bad that I thought I was going to die...............so maybe it is not the Imitrex or the Verapmil but the Topamax.

It wasn't until I upped the dose on the Topamax the last time that I got so so sick with clusters..........

Something to think about.

Hope you feel better soon,  
DizzyD
IP Logged
dizzyd
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 21st, 2003, 4:20pm »

Hi Amber,

I just want to let you know that I had to STOP TAKING TOPAMAX because it gave me constant headaches and made the clusters so bad that I thought I was going to die...............so maybe it is not the Imitrex or the Verapmil but the Topamax.

It wasn't until I upped the dose on the Topamax the last time that I got so so sick with clusters..........

DizzyD
IP Logged
dizzyd
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 21st, 2003, 4:19pm »

Hi Amber,

DizzyD
IP Logged
Jaybird

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 21st, 2003, 9:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I beg anybody who hasn't tried the Imitrex injections to try them. I am 36 years old and nearing the end of my 6th cycle (about every 2 years). This is the first time I've tried the Imitrex injections... I take anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 dose (standard dose is .5 ml (6mg per .5ml)) and it ALWAYS works (I get quickest relief by injecting myself in the abdomen an  inch or so left or right of my navel, noticably quicker than in the arm). Zomig ZMT  5 or 2.5 mg work about 80% of time (it flat out fails sometimes)... and I use it when I run out of Imitrex. Trustme trustme trustme... try the Imitrex injections if you haven't. This cycle has been 7 weeks so far and it hasn't depressed me like the ones previous because I have been in control. The Imitrex can abort a full blown Cheesy "off the scale" emergency like nothing I've ever tried. Try it!
IP Logged
Ann
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Annage

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 21st, 2003, 9:47pm »

Amber,

After reading your first post I thought I understood that you felt the imitrex tabs were causing the headaches.  Is that right or do you think it's the verapamil?  I've heard of people getting headaches from coming off the imitrex pills, (maybe a day or two of dull pain) but not getting a full blown CH.  Are you getting full blown CH or a kind of dull hangover headache?  Just trying to understand.  Do your headaches wake you out of a sound sleep?

btw I'm in Trois-Rivieres Quebec, if you feel like chatting send me an e-mail.

hugs
Ann
IP Logged
Nathan
New Board Veteran
USA 

mufon member looking for serious ufo/alien stories

ufo_guy1  
Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 22nd, 2003, 7:48am »

amber,
 i had the same problem with verap as you did. every time i took it a full blown ch was about 30 min away, guarenteed. i guess some of us just react differently to some things. also, topomax didnt help either, but ill have to agree with most everybody else that replied to you, O2 is the way to go. good luck! ---Nathan
IP Logged

field investigator for mufon(mutiual ufo network) looking for serious people only to share their stories with me. total anominity promised. chs and alien abduction may be related.
lorrhaw
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: Feb 22nd, 2003, 9:46am »

I'm new to this site but have had episodic clusters for 20 years.  Last go round about 2 years ago they cut me off of the Imitrex because they said I was only allowed 4 in a month period and now I'm being told the same thing about Maxalt but they are saying 8 in a month.  I go through this much in a day or two since it is all that works.  My new neurologist doesn't want to prescribe either because he feels that I'll overuse them based on what I've been telling him about how often I take them.  I don't have heart problems but I do smoke.  I don't care if the insurance cuts me off since I'll do anything for relief and while when I'm having a headache death doesn't seem like that bad of an option at the same time I'd like to see my daughter grow up.  What do you guys know about the maximums and how dangerous it might be to exceed?
IP Logged
dizzyd
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 22nd, 2003, 11:44am »

Lorrhaw,

Not sure what the max's or min's are for Imitrex, but I can tell you that my doc will not prescribe either Imitrex, Maxalt or any triptan to me because I smoke too........(right now I am also taking Sansert and that is the current excuse the doc is using not to prescribe).  She refuses to give it to me because she said smoking increases the side effects of the drug ............I have mentioned this before on this site and lot of people smoke here and say they take it just fine...........I guess you and me just have very conservative docs..........I agree I would take anything for the pain and the risk seems so neglible when you are battling the beast!!

Oxygen is my only abortive.............most of the time it works but when it doesn't I am sick sick sick sick........

Good Luck,
DizzyD
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #16 on: Feb 22nd, 2003, 8:02pm »

Dizzy - It sounds like your doctor is an anti-smoking nazi and is punishing you for being a smoker. I, too, am a smoker and have had both my GP and my neuro prescribe Maxalt and Sansert. Neither has ever said that smoking increases the side effects. I know that they can be slightly more dangerous for people who suffer the ill effects of smoking (i.e., high blood pressure, heart disease, etc.), but to have a doc withhold legitimate treatment for bogus excuses sounds almost like malpractice to me.

I'd find another doctor and report your current one. Just my two cents.

Bill
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 22nd, 2003, 11:46pm »

on Feb 21st, 2003, 9:17pm, Jaybird wrote:
 I beg anybody who hasn't tried the Imitrex injections to try them..... and it ALWAYS works (I get quickest relief by injecting myself in the abdomen an  inch or so left or right of my navel, noticably quicker than in the arm).The Imitrex can abort a full blown Cheesy "off the scale" emergency like nothing I've ever tried. Try it!

FUCKENH

Welcome Amber and Jaybird.
Imitrex  Injection is the Nectar of the Gods as far as I am concerned. The first thing to ever WORK! Jaybird I appreciate the tip on the belly spot. My last cycle was so long I was getting pretty sore in my arm. 2 or 3 shots a day for over a month! I have thought about the belly region because Imitrex is supposed to be subcutanious not intramuscular. I don't have much meat, at least fat, on my arms or legs. I think I was getting most of my last shots in the muscle which added to the soreness.  It also takes longer to work in the muscle. In my next cycle I will try a new spot.
For Glaxo's patient information on Imitrex injection click here.
I remember a post from a guy in Sweden who took up to 10 (!) shots a day, full 6mg shots. It seems if you have a good heart the limits are set way too low for most Clusterheads, but I am not a Doctor.....yet! ;D

PFDAN's
Mark
IP Logged

Click The Flag
Lenny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 24th, 2003, 12:19pm »

As Jaybird, i too use the stomach for my inj.
 But you must be careful not to go too far to either side (nerve's ) you will know when you hit them (  Crypainful  Cry) if you do it right it,like butta.

Mark ( on the serious side Wink ),
 Just in case you have no fat on your tummy and you are unfortunate to have a BIG JUICY HEMROID you can always try that ( i heard that is the quickest way to get in the blood ) just ask uncle "UELI " ;D ;D ;D ;D.
IP Logged

yes a newbie,unfortunately not to the beast!!!Chronic - Clusterhead
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss