Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 7:33am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New poster »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   New poster
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New poster  (Read 222 times)
rbmb
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

New poster
« on: Mar 1st, 2003, 1:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm a 54 year old guy who's been having episodic ch for several years. Usually have attacks that come in spring and/or fall that last from 3 weeks to a month and a half (although I'm in one that started in early Jan, lasted to mid Feb, stopped for 2 weeks and than started up again). They nearly always come on in the middle of the night about the same time, usually one a night but sometimes 2 or even 3 a night. A sharp, burning pain behind my left eye that increases in intensity until it is almost unbearable and lasting 30 minutes to an hour.
When I first started getting them, I didn't know what they were - I just knew that they weren't like any h.a. I'd ever had. I'd take aspirin by the handful and they did nothing for the pain. I started doing web searchs for "headaches" and when I read about the symptoms of ch, I knew that was exactly what I was experiencing.
My regular dr. had me  try oxygen, Imitrex (pills), Zomig(pills), naproxen, prednesone - none of these worked. He referred me to a neurologist who has me on a regime of lithium (1200mg) and prednesone (when a cluster period starts.) He gave me a sample of DHE and showed my how to inject myself and that was the first time I ever got relief from these h.a.s.
I'm not convinced that the lith./pred. regime helps that much(although the h.a.s might be much more intense and frequent if I didn't take them), but the DHE definitely stops the ch once it starts.
I've told friends about injecting myself and they say"I could never do that to myself" and I tell them "You could if you got one of these headaches."
I smoke and have for years and I know that ch sufferers are often smokers. The first thing my neurologist asks me is if I'm still smoking and he works hard on me to commit to quiting. I'm going to have to do it and it will be hard. I stop drinking any kind of alcohol when I go into a ch period and I'm not sure I can give up two of my vices at the same time.
Thanks for listening to my long, boring story.
IP Logged
Hound_Dogg

Email

Re: New poster
« Reply #1 on: Mar 1st, 2003, 9:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Definitely sounds like you got em'.  Have you tried Verapamil? That and Imitrex injection works for me...Good luck and Welcome Aboard.

Jim
IP Logged
cbolony
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: New poster
« Reply #2 on: Mar 1st, 2003, 10:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Quote:
When I first started getting them, I didn't know what they were - I just knew that they weren't like any h.a. I'd ever had. I'd take aspirin by the handful and they did nothing for the pain

Don't waste your time with otc drugs.Get imitrex injection and verapamil .The injection take about 10 mins
to kick in.Use the imitrex tip on the left side of the board
because the insurance companys are not going to give you a lot and you are going to cut the injections in 1/2 or
1/3 to last you the month.It's easy to do a lot of people  
on the board use the imitrex tip.It saves me all the time.
You can also use the imitrex nasal spray the pills for get about
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss