Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 3:32pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « DOES CH GET PROGRESSIVLY WORSE? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   DOES CH GET PROGRESSIVLY WORSE?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: DOES CH GET PROGRESSIVLY WORSE?  (Read 633 times)
henry
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

DOES CH GET PROGRESSIVLY WORSE?
« on: Mar 12th, 2003, 1:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I’ve had CH for 10 years.    The 1st time  the cycle lasted less than a week, then went away for 5 years. The 2nd  time with a month long cycle and more severe pain ,  then went away for 3 years.   The 3rd cycle lasted 3 month with occasional multiple attacks a day, ended last  January.  I am now at the start of my 4th cycle. Reading some of the cases on this web site, I see some of my fellow sufferer have it a lot worse than me.  Does CH progressively get worse till the cycle is long and almost no time in between?  I want  to hear from some of you who have CH for years.  If this is so,  how do I prepare and deal with it?
Thanks for sharing and you help is greatly appreciated!
Henry
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

Re: DOES CH GET PROGRESSIVLY WORSE?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12th, 2003, 4:19pm »

Quote:
I am now at the start of my 4th cycle.
{snip}
 Does CH progressively get worse
{snip}
(From late Feb., 2003)
My CH just came back 3 days ago.  It last went away Jan. 2002.  I took sansert for 3 weeks. It really helped me.  I just went to a doctor to get a prescription today and was told that sansert is no longer produced.  Any suggestions for an alternative?  How is Verapamil?  I would appreciate any feedback from my fellow sufferers

Henry,

Now that you're on your 4th cycle, you probably realize that this sucker is going to be hovering around you for a long, long time. Cycles can vary widely in duration and intensity......there's no definitive answer on whether they get progressively worse, chronic, disappear............whatever.
That's not half as important as your question:
Quote:
how do I prepare and deal with it?

You deal with it thru "Medications, Treatments, Therapies", the title of this board section.
With your Sansert out the door, you've got to aggressively find alternatives that work for you. You haven't mentioned what you are using to combat this cycle........unless you've got a decent stash of Sansert.

Verapamil is a great place to start as a preventative. Many here swear by the stuff.........with any luck, you'll have the same results. It's one of the "kinder, gentler" preventatives......

O2 comes highly recommended, and with just cause. If you haven't tried oxygen as an abortive, do so immediately. Although there are those that do Not respond to oxygen, there are far more that rely on it as their primary abortive..........right up there with Imitrex. There's a ton of info and testimonials on O2 around here. Call your doc and try it today. Even if it's not covered by insurance, it's relatively cheap and has no side effects..........other than stopping a CH dead in it's tracks.
Talk to your doc about starting  Verapamil/Imitrex/O2 as a "Starter Kit" (unless you already have a successful working combo). Hopefully, you'll respond to those three, and won't have to walk on the Dark Side of treatments.
Either way.......get on a meds program that works for you this cycle. It'll make life that much easier......both today, and for your next inevitable bout. Make sure your Doc has all the meds you need to take _well_ documented, so that when the Starting Whistle goes off the next time, relief is only a phone call away.
Pardon me, while I mention O2 again, and again, and again..................

Repetitvely yours,  
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
tanner
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Adopt a POW/MIA I have

sc_clusterhead1  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12th, 2003, 11:52pm »

henry,i am chronic so i'm not sure it translates "apples to apples" but yes!!! my first cycle lasted approx 6 yrs with zero pfds and  the severity (or my ability to cope definately got worse as time went on. I am there again, and even tho this is only 600 and something days, i
am progressivly worse! i am a firm believer that this shit is building to a point where i won't be able to handle ti!  
i'm sorry i forgot to tell you i was ha free (except for migraines) for 7 yrs in between. i'm just older and less sure of being able to weather this storm.. good luck and lots of good days (pf) in your future ,,,,,,tim
IP Logged

I AM THE MASTER OF MY MIND, MY BODY, AND MY EMOTIONS...
it's just my head that sucks...http://www.centerforlit.com/

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14th, 2003, 9:07am »

My clusters have gotten better with age.  For 20 years I would get hit with a 6 week cluster every 8 or 9 months.  At age 40 they went to every two years.  Each remission gets a couple of months longer.  Last one was 2 years, 7 months.  I believe I will be one of the lucky ones who eventually outgrow these things completely.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
cbolony
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14th, 2003, 11:12am »

Henry i been having ch since 1996 i'am 50 yrs old.I get 3-4 cycles a year no change for me.Been in 3 cycles since
june the last one just finished 10 days a go
IP Logged
dizzyd
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14th, 2003, 7:29pm »

Hi Henry,

Not sure if clusters get worse as you get older, it seems as though they vary for everyone.  Me, I am a chronic clusterhead.  Been suffering for 22 years.  Used to get them every other season.  From the first to last day (3 months) like clockwork.  Usually the spring and fall, but some years it was the summer and winter.  Anyway, about 10 years ago, they came and never ever went away.  They tend to get worse or more active during certain seasons as they always did before but now they never stop in between.  Not sure if it was age (started at 22, now 44), not sure what did it.  I have always prayed for an end to all of this, hoping that as I got older they would go away, but no such friggin luck.

Not sure how to tell you to deal with them long term.........of course with your meds, but emotionally, you just have to tell yourself that tomorrow will be a better day and try not to let the clusters control your life.  For me, I'll be damned the day clusters take over everything!!

DizzyD

IP Logged
nmstevens
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15th, 2003, 12:10am »

In my personal experience -- absolutely yes. As a kid I used to get random headaches -- which, since they didn't "cluster" -- I'm not sure whether you call them cluster headaches or simply migraines. In my mid-twenties, I started to get official "cycles" -- but they started off fairly modest -- maybe a headache a day, for a week or so.

But over the years, it became clear that each cycle was noticeably worse than the previous one -- and that the "rules" of the previous cycle -- duration, frequency, time of day, length of the cycle -- would also get worse with subsequent cycles.  

In addition, and I don't know whether anyone else's experience goes along with this -- whatever I took to break a given cycle wouldn't work the next time around.  

Since I discovered Imitrex I can pretty much head off the attacks and function -- on the other hand, nowadays, I can get three headaches a day (admittedly less than some but more than I've gotten in the past) and my current cycle seems to be going on forever.  

So it goes.

NMS
IP Logged
clavers
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17th, 2003, 8:53am »

I have had them for `19 years.  For the past five years I have been chronic.  They have gotten steadily worse.  I am going to lose my mind.
IP Logged
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17th, 2003, 8:08pm »

I've had CH for going on 22 years now but I am fortunate enough to only get them once a year sept and oct. Mine never seem to change although this past year was the very worst as far as the pain goes.  

I believe one day the beast will develop dementia (hopefully before I do) and forget to come back.  Wink
Good luck to all you suffering now...wishing you PF time real soon.

suzy
IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
smfaison
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Jul 8th, 2003, 7:57pm »

I am male and 47 years old.  I have had episodic clusters as long as I can remember.  My first cycles were before I was 10 years old.  My cycles used to start in even years and lasted 4 months.  I skipped 2000 for some reason, and now my cycles start in odd years.  Maybe because I started taking BP medication the year it skipped?  I would say that my HA's are more severe than they used to be, but the cycles don't last any longer.  After 4 months, they still taper off.  Fortunately, I have stayed an episodic sufferer all along, and never gone chronic.  I can't imagine how bad that would be!
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 8th, 2003, 9:26pm »

Henry:

For me, they got great. It's been 12 years since it's been around. Going for another century.  I'll be 57 next month and they disappeared when I was 45.  They were always just horrible. The first one was just as painful as the last. I will say that the last two years, I was never able to anticipate when this horror would show up.  They didn't behave. They were the same intensity however.  

Keep up the good fight and you'll find good info here

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 8th, 2003, 10:55pm »

Henry,
I've been episodic for 18 yrs and yes my cycles do seem worse and last longer than they used to.
But don't give up hope, when you read the post here it's like everything else with this mofo, nothing's very consistent.
pfdan's

Jim

IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 9th, 2003, 10:28am »

I started having month long clusters in October and April, then they grew to six weeks and are now almost two full months in duration.  Then starting last summer, throw in a bonus Summer episode in July and what started as a month or two, now takes up about six months of the year...and counting.  Plus each episode is more intense than the previous.  I get a handful of Kip 11s (Spinal Tap reference) in each episode that are worse than anything I've ever had before.  Everytime through, the worst is worse than the previous worst.  

I'm 43 and this started about 7 or 8 years ago.Hoping this pattern subsides a little before I'm a complete vegetable.  I'm halfway to Henry Fonda in On Golden Pond.  Ouch.

-p
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Pushkin
New Board Newbie

« Reply #13 on: Jul 9th, 2003, 12:02pm »

Hi Henry,

I started getting CHs about 30 years ago (I was in my 20s). They got progressively worse until about 8 years ago, then the frequency and duration started to decrease. I went from 4+ cycles per year to one every 5 years (until last week). They used to last for 2-3 months, but the last few have been more like weeks. The CHs when they come, aren't any less intense, just fewer and farther between cycles. O2 has saved my life, before O2 CH was living hell. Most other meds worked for a while and then the CH got around them, but so far O2 is my salvation.

Good luck,
Pushkin
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2003, 12:04pm by Pushkin » IP Logged
sueellen83
New Board Veteran
USA 

Shoot me and get it over with!!!!!

nsueellen83   nsueellen83
Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 9th, 2003, 1:26pm »

Henry,

I started having CH when I was seven.  The cycle lasted about two weeks, then nothing for six years.

at 13 the cycle lasted about a month then went away for 3 years.

My cycles seem to get closer together  and longer in duration as I get older.

Usually about 2 years apart in the fall or spring.  My last cycle was last year and started in August.  It lasted 6 months. Strange!

As Aug. rolls around this year I'm holding my breath to see what happens.  I have been shadowing a lot this month and I've never done that between cycles before.

The beast is good at changing the rules just when you think you've figured them out. LOL

Hang in there.  Wishing you PFD&N very soon!!
IP Logged
jlm77
New Board Newbie

changes in latitudes

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jul 10th, 2003, 2:32am »

Henry---
I've been getting CHs for 23 yrs. I have tried many drugs,herbals.acupuncture,etc. Some have worked and some haven"t. But what is true is that---what works for one cycle doen't nessesarily mean it will work on the next cycle. Yes the "BEAST" changes--it becomes immune and you don't.
As far as cycles getting worse with time--the "BEAST" is unpredictable in this sence,but predictable in when they come ---just like clockwork.
Find a good Dr. who knows about CH--The rest are just guessing--if you do some reading and research you will know more.
o2 was great for my first 3 cycles--then o2 w/ergostat at onset--good for the next 3 cycles--and more and more
  Good luck in finding your relief and breaking your cycle.    
IP Logged

I sit beside the fire and think of people long ago, and people who will see the world that I shall never know...
--bilbo baggins
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #16 on: Jul 10th, 2003, 10:30am »

Henry,

I started w/ ch's in 1980 when I was 15 years old.  I had ch's every day for 4 years.  In 1984 I was FINALLY diagnosed and from that point onward I've had a cycle every 18 months - 2 years and it usually lasts around 4 months each time.  I get my cycle around the fall season.

I have noticed that the intensity of each cycle is higher and more painful - but one positive thing that I've noticed is that my response to various meds is also much better.  Different meds work for each cycle but Imitrex has NEVER failed me so I'm lucky   Smiley

The last cycle I had was in the Fall of 2001 and went through January, 2002.  I was on a DHE IV drip that stopped my cycle.  Hopefully it ran the beast off, but we'll see with the next season.

Good luck to you....

Mia
IP Logged
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 10th, 2003, 11:07am »

Mine have gotten progressively worse...
That doesn't mean everyone's will.

I am 40 and started with cluster at about 24/25.  I was episodic then... a couple months every spring.  10 years ago I became Chronic.... with brief respites (a couple days here & there).  Some days I only had one mild one.  Medications worked sometimes.  Now.... 2 to 3 a day, every day with or without meds.  

Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
NewHeadPLZ
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1! But these Headaches S*ck

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jul 10th, 2003, 12:12pm »

These damn things have been with me for 22 years and progressively got worse.  Two years ago, I figured I was chronic and by definition, I was.  Then they quit for almost a year.  Next thing ya know, October 2002 they started coming back.  Been having 3-6 a day since.

Who knows what these things will do.  Best thing is not to worry about it and find the meds ya need to effectively reduce the number of attacks you have a day (zero would be nice) and the med ya need to abort an attack when ya get one!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss