Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 12:33pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Celebrex »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Celebrex
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Celebrex  (Read 489 times)
KenB
New Board Veteran
Ireland 

Sometimes it feels like this

Email

Celebrex
« on: Jun 30th, 2003, 1:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

4 nights pain free.  Started taking Celebrex on Monday last week and haven't had a bad attack since then.  Was in the cinema last night and felt one coming on - took a Celebrex and the pain was gone on 15 mins.  I know it's not held in high regard around here but just wanted to let you know it seems to be working for me.
IP Logged

Who was the first person to realise you could get milk from a cow - and what did he think he was doing at the time?
cbolony
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Celebrex
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30th, 2003, 10:27am »

I just took it this morning for my foot for my head i take
240mgs verapamil 2 xaday and depakote 500 mgs 3x aday and imitrex injections when i need them.I'am glad it's been working for you and a lot cheaper then the meds i take.But i thing i will add it into my mix of drugs and lets see what happens
IP Logged
KenB
New Board Veteran
Ireland 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 1st, 2003, 2:02am »

5 nights pain free now.  100mg twice a day - up to four times if I feel any pain.  Am I crazy in thinking that this is the thing that's working for me? ???
IP Logged

Who was the first person to realise you could get milk from a cow - and what did he think he was doing at the time?
KenB
New Board Veteran
Ireland 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 2nd, 2003, 2:01am »

Another night pain free.  Has anyone else has success with Celebrex?  ???
IP Logged

Tom
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 2nd, 2003, 7:50am »

Look at:
  www.upstate.edu/neurology/haas/hpcldx.htm -> Chronic paroxysmal hemicrania (CPH)  

and  
  www.upstate.edu/neurology/haas/hpstab.htm   -> Idiopathic stabbing headaches (ISH)  

- you'll see that indomethacin and celecoxib (Celebrex®) are successfully used in the treatment of CPH and ISH.

Thomas
IP Logged

Thomas/Munich
KenB
New Board Veteran
Ireland 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 8th, 2003, 3:05am »

Still working  Smiley
IP Logged

JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #6 on: Jul 10th, 2003, 4:13am »

Ken

Refering to Tom's info, have you taken the "indomethacin test" yet to see if you suffer from CPH rather than CH? Apparently this is an accurate diagnosis as this drug will reliably stop a CPH, but does nothing for CH, even though the symptoms are almost identical, the treatment is somewhat different.

NSAIDs have never provided me with any relief once I am a few weeks into my cycle, but early on they do help with the "smaller ones". I find I get 2-6 weeks of a build up of headaches which I can live with, and then WHAM, I start with another 6-8 weeks of headbangers that only imigran injections can stop. Painkillers don't even take the edge off these for me.

I'm glad that you have found something that helps you though

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
KenB
New Board Veteran
Ireland 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 10th, 2003, 4:30am »

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.  To be honest I hadn't heard of CPH until you posted it here.  I've had a look at a link ( http://www.emedicine.com/NEURO/topic67.htm ) and 1 section of it makes me wonder.  It is as follows:

"The attack frequency usually is 10-20 attacks per day and may range from 2-40 attacks per day. Attacks usually last 2-25 minutes, but they may last as long as 60 minutes. In one prospective study, mean attack duration was 13 minutes (range 3-46 min). In a retrospective study, the mean duration of attacks was 21 minutes (range 2-120 min)."

My attacks recently have lasted between 45 mins and 3 hours - the worst attacks lasted between 2 and 3 hours.

Now I'm confused!   ???
IP Logged

JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #8 on: Jul 10th, 2003, 8:13am »

Ken,

I agree it is very confusing, but it also mentions that CPH suffers can get relief from Celebrex. I suggest you print the link out and take it to your Dr and get him to try the Indomicin treatment as a test to see if it abates the headaches to assist with a more educated diagnosis.  The frequency and duration of attacks is something for you to take a view on regarding the accuracy of the data. How many attacks a day do you get?

I had never heard of CPH until recently, and while I am 99% sure I suffer from CH, I intend to try Indomicin if/when I am back in cycle. They say CH causes sufferers to rock and move about, but for me a quiet bed is the best place to suffer! Go figure!

Now that I use Imigran inj my CH pattern is typically 1 or 2 HA's a day with a few days PF occasionally. Without the inj they can last for up to 5 hours with soreness in the temple until the next one comes. Before I used imigran (pre-1996-ish) I got up to 5 a day lasting up to several hours each. Mine never go away in less than about 2-3 hours.

I am currently 15 months PF which I ascribe to my month long detox diet regime, which I have undertaken several times since April 2002. I am like most sufferers always waiting for the next cycle to hit me, but am pinning my hopes on the success of my method at this stage.
John
IP Logged

KenB
New Board Veteran
Ireland 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 10th, 2003, 9:20am »

Thanks again John.  In relation to frequency of attacks - I've been getting one or two a day (apart from one horrible 12 hour stint when I got 3 in a row!  Angry) . I'd be interested in hearing more about your detox diet if you wouldn't mind sharing.
IP Logged

JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #10 on: Jul 10th, 2003, 12:40pm »

Ken

I will email you. My method gets me flamed here. Not too many believers!

John
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss