Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:10pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Keppra »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Keppra
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Keppra  (Read 386 times)
apverbin
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Keppra
« on: May 7th, 2003, 7:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been a CH sufferer for 25 years.  Following a three-year break I have been reintroduced to my old friend.  I have been on almost every drug regimen there is.  Some helped, some didn't.  Nothing just flat out stopped them, until now.  My Doc put me a regimen of Keppra, Verapamil, and Amerge.  I take the Keppra twice/day, Verapamil at night, and Amerge before going to sleep.  This is the first time I can say that something actually works for me.  I tried Verapamil with Topomax before but the results were nowhere near as dramatic.  Without the Amerge I get minor ones (just enough to wake you up) 1 1/2 hours after falling asleep.  The Amerge seems to shut them down.
IP Logged
clavers
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Keppra
« Reply #1 on: May 8th, 2003, 11:55am »

I am glad that you are having some success with keppra, I was recently prescribed it by my neurologist.  It had a similar effect as topamax, it made me insane for a few days, then made me feel horrible, like I had the flu, and did nothing to help my CH.  It is strange how one drug will help one person and have no or even a bad effect on another with the same disease.
IP Logged
apverbin
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 9th, 2003, 2:42pm »

I agree, it is amazing how different drugs have a different effect on different people.  For me, the Keppra/Verapamil has worked much better than anything else.  It may be it is effective for only for this attack.  I think drug treatment effectiveness varies from one CH period to another.
IP Logged
UnsolvedEquation

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28th, 2003, 12:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Keppra...Lions and tigers and bears oh my ! Lions and tigers and bears oh my ! The nightmares would not stop! I WOULD NEVER DO THAT TRIP AGAIN !! Shocked    Cry
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30th, 2003, 1:12pm »

I too was on Keppra during my last cycle.  Seems to be a very innocent drug to the internal organs (except for Unsolved's brain  Wink  Wink  The good thing about Keppra is that you can increase the dosage very rapidly - which is the total opposite of Topomax.....

Sounds like you've got a great combination working for you....keep up the good work.

Mia
IP Logged
NRA1871
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 5:03pm »

I just started a regimen of Keppra and Amerge.  It seemed to take a week or so to fully kick in.  I have gone down to one or two big CH's a week, down from every night.  Funny thing is that before taking this, I would get them at about 12am,  3am, or 5am, and now I get them typically around 8pm, and sleep soundly though the night.  This is my first cluster cycle, luckily my primary diagnosed me correctly immediately, and after trying prednisone (which worked great till I tapered down) sent me to a neuro.  Much better than my third CH, when I was in the ER thinking I was going to die of an anyeurism (the hospital's diagnosis was 'headache'...thanks a-holes, I didnt know that)  
I havent seen much about the use of keppra, so I had to respond to this.
IP Logged
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 8:28pm »

I heard that Keppra makes people grouchy and angry.  Is this true?
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 7:54am »

Violet - I didn't experience any of those symptons.....maybe it's the Beast thats makes us that way   Wink

Mia
IP Logged
NRA1871
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 4:03pm »

Never made me grumpy.  The most noticeable side effects were woozyness/lightheadedness, made me tired some, but those effects lessened over time.  
I think my first cluster may be coming to an end...it's been almost a full week since I've had one...I'd love to stop the meds and enjoy a beer, but I'm terrified of reawakening the beast.  How do you know when the episode is truely over?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss