Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 11:36am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Free Imitrex »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Free Imitrex
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Free Imitrex  (Read 532 times)
spanky
New Board Newbie

"...an ounce of perception, a pound of obscure."

Email

Free Imitrex
« on: Oct 9th, 2003, 4:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Don't know who all knows about this or who all can "qualify" for it but it is a fact that Imitrex is available for free.
I just returned stateside from an extended period abroad and saw a neurologist about my headaches.  I'm not currently employed and have no insurance coverage so I face 100% payment of doctor fees and medications.
My doctor commiserates somewhat with my financial (and medical) situation and asked me if I would be interested in the Indigent blahblahblah program.  I wasn't sure what he was talking about so I said sure, why not?
He then gave me 4 Imitrex refill packages (8 - 6mg vials) and told me that these were promotional samples provided to him free of charge and that he was authorized to pass them on to patients in need.  I took them gladly (figure out the retail cost!).  His nurse then told me that if I ran out of these I could check again with their clinic and if they had some in stock they could provide me with more.  Today I did just that and they gave me 2 more packages free of charge.  I thought a few of you other clusterbangers would be interested in hearing about this.
I suppose it all depends on your rapport with your doctor but it may be an avenue worth approaching.

Also...I have tried the "imitrex tip" and have found that a 1/3 dose works for me just as well as a full dose does.  However, I have encountered a problem.  I gave myself a 1/3 dose and then swabbed the needle and stored it for future use of the remaining 2/3's.  When the time came I found that the syringe was plugged, probably from dried blood, and I can't access the remaining solution.  It won't squirt out.  There must be a more practical, more sterile way to give myself a 2mg dose.  When I asked my doctor about it he would not condone anything other than the auto-injected 6mg dose and throw away approach.  I have insulin syringes and would love to be able to pull the 6mg vials out and transfer them into 2mg doses in the insulin syringes (in a sterile manner of course) so that I have pre-dosed single-shot throwaway syringes readily available.
Any ideas?  Would it work to sterilize a small glass container, squirt the 6mg solution into this and then use the insulin syringes to draw 2mg doses from the glass container?
IP Logged

Wandering aimlessly through the quagmires of my own ineptitude...
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

Re: Free Imitrex
« Reply #1 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 9:55pm »

Hi Spanky,  
Welcome to the board.
Cat posted this link a while back, they sell sterile vials.  So you can inject your stat dose into a vial then use an insulin syringe to draw up 2mg.  Then don't reuse the syringe, just get a new one!
Good luck!!
Mast
http://www.earthstores.com/gpzservices/
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
spanky
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10th, 2003, 6:00am »

Hey Mast,

Thanks for the info and link for the vials.  Great idea!  Why didn't I think of that?!?  And thanks for the warm welcome to the board.  It's nice to have an instant family with a mutual understanding of the nature of the beast.

My 75mg nightly dose of Nortriptyline is still (knocking on wood) doing the trick.  This is going on 7 weeks now.  The stuff either works or I've gone from 4 year chronic to episodic.  I would be interested to hear of anybody's experiences with Nortriptyline or that class of medication, be it positive or negative.  There are a few references in archives but not too many
IP Logged

clavers
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 10th, 2003, 7:25am »

I always held the needle under a fire from a match or lighter.  If anything was in it there was a mini-explosion.  The needle turns red in just a second or two.  Then I swabbed it with an alchol pad.  I never had a clogged needle and I never got some loathsome disease.
IP Logged
spanky
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 10th, 2003, 8:03pm »

Howdy Clavers,
Thanks for the fire tip; that makes good sense.  I was afraid that I would have to throw away 4 perfectly good mg's of the PFjuice.  Tomorrow I'm going to try to source some sterile vials and prep a few insulin syringes with 2mg doses as Mast advised for the next unexpected,  unsolicited visit from the "Green Manalishi with the 2-pronged Crown".  I like the "grab and stab" approach!

Momentarily I'm still PF'ing fat, dumb and happy but I stay prepared and just take it (and relish it) day by day.
IP Logged

Zonie
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 10th, 2003, 9:15pm »

I had a neuro that also provided me with trex tabs from his samples "when he had them".  I would suggest that you stock up while your dr has it available.  I had to make many trips downtown to his office for samples.
I also used the 1/3 dose of injections and never did have a needle get plugged.  I just replaced the cover over the needle until next time.  And boy, by the third time, the old needle was really getting dull.  But I didn't mind at all, I just kept firing that dart until it worked cause I knew that relief was right around the corner.  My dr is who suggested that I do this and my first reaction was "oooohhhh, a dirty needle?"  She said that it was my dirt and would be fine.  I never had any problems at all.  

Good luck with yours and let us know how it works.

Zonie
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2003, 9:17pm by Zonie » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss