Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:18am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Personal melatonin trial data »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Personal melatonin trial data
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Personal melatonin trial data  (Read 6243 times)
jflynn
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Personal melatonin trial data
« on: Oct 30th, 2003, 10:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've decided to start a trial of melatonin as a prevntative.  I'll periodically edit this post to keep the stats current for anyone interested.

Personal information:
- 34yo white male with blue eyes, managerial profession with moderate stress  
- episodic CH sufferer typically K4-8 intensity
- ~2 CH per 24 hours, typically at night, first one inevitably at 1:30am
- episodes typically last for a few weeks and recurr maybe every 3 months or so
- moderately severe allergies to ragweed and cedar
- good health

Failed past CH therapies:
- endoscopic sinus surgery
- oral prednisone
- corticosteriod nasal sprays
- pulsatile nasal irrigation
- NSAID analgesics
- oral and nasal antihistamine

Moderately useful abortives:
- hot shower
- effervescent codeine phosphate (essentially narcotic Alka-Seltzer)
- coffee (when I smoked cigarettes used to help a bit also)

MELATONIN THERAPY DATA:
Started 10-27-03.  Plain melationin tablets without the added vitamin B that so many brands have.  First day took 3mg, then 9mg daily (using 3mg tablets orally ~1hr before bedtime).  Some links on melatonin used for CH: www.achenet.org/news/older/022002.php www.clusterheadaches.org/library/medications/melatonin.htm www.vitamin-galore.com/Concern/Cluster_Headache.htm

102703 - 2 CH woke me at night at usual time
102803 - 1 CH in afternoon 1:30, 1 awoke me at night
102903 - 2 CH awoke at night
103003 - nil (wow, already CH free after 3rd night, unsure if melatonin responsible or episode spontaneously ended self)
103103 - nil
110103 - nil (still having shadows but no big deal)
110203 - nil (I even stayed up late last night trying to trigger a CH by lying horizontally with feet up watching a movie, pain free)
110303 - nil
110403 - nil (a few shadows, one of which started to border on pain at about 11:30pm and subsided, I had taken the melatonin at maybe 10:30pm)
110503 - nil (had a shadow last night that started to hurt for a few minutes but it never really developed)
110603 through 111003 - nil (shadows have subsuided, perhaps the cycle is over)
111103 through 111303 - nil
111403 - 1 CH moderate-severe intensity (forgot to take melatonin)
111503 through 111803 - nil (occasional shadows, no actual CH)
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2003, 10:38am by jflynn » IP Logged
jflynn
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Personal melatonin trial data
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31st, 2003, 10:13am »

Definitely seems to be working so far.  Great if true, but unfortunately the spontaneous resolution of episodes makes it difficult to track the effectivness of preventative treatments.

I'll definitely continue the trial and urge people who have not tried it to give it a shot.
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 31st, 2003, 10:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

It has worked great for me - pain free, but still have shadows.
IP Logged
maggie_may
New Board Veteran
USA 

maggie_may_12   ladydeth12
Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 31st, 2003, 2:02pm »

After reading the stuff on melatonin here, I decided to give it a shot.  It's only been two nights, so I can't really say anything except to say that I think it's helping out my sleeping disorder (not CH related) and I notice that I've been falling asleep and waking up in the morning rested.

I'll give it more time to see if it helps with my shadows.
IP Logged

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Gandhi

The human spirit is stronger than anything that happens to it. - C.C. Scott
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 31st, 2003, 4:55pm »

I would love to try this however you are not suppose to use it with an antiphycotic such as zyprexa or geodon, etc.  Some day I hope to be off of the geodon and able to try the melatonin.  Thanks for posting your encouraging results.  Let us know how it goes for your next cycle.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
jflynn
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 31st, 2003, 10:47pm »

on Oct 31st, 2003, 10:47am, thomas wrote:
It has worked great for me - pain free, but still have shadows.

I've still got shadows as well now that you mention it.  The shadows are trivial compared to the real deal and I could be wrong here, but if I'm having shadows that should mean I'm still in a cycle so the melatonin must be working.  Good news!  In other words, the shadows tell me that I'm in an active cycle and it's the melatonin keepng the headaches at bay, not just the natural and spontaneous end of the cycle.

Of course my trial is not very scientific but thus far it seems to be working and in the end results are what we really want.
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 3:00pm »

I think my cycle is over now - no more shadows.  I got really drunk on Saturday - didn't take any melatonin - no headache the next day. me&mb  This cycle on lasted a tad over 3 weeks - my normal cycles have been 3 months.  If you're still having shadows - try an ssri, magnesium and calcium with the melatonin.
IP Logged
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 3:16pm »

I too have had results with melatonin @9mg per night one hour before bedtime.  Last cycle was ended one month before schedule after having started the melatonin on June 13th.

It appears that some of us have good results with this and other not.  Glad you found something that works for you.

Grin
IP Logged
jflynn
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 3:50pm »

If by SSRI you mean a selective seratonin reputake inhibitor such as Paxil, I'll pass and deal with minor shadows.  Paxil gave me negative sexual side effects and also makes me into an emotionless zombie, both of which aren't so great for family life. Smiley
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 5:25pm »

Yeah, paxil or prosac.  My girlfriend didn't like me on the paxil either because of the sexual side effect.  I'm taking 20mg of fluoxetine (prosac) with no ill effects.
IP Logged
jflynn
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 10:32am »

Well, a couple weeks later and still pain free.  However the shadows recently disappeared so I suspect my cycle has ended for now.  I'm calling this a victory and am thrilled to have apparently subverted a cycle of cluster headaches.
IP Logged
Edna
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 12th, 2003, 12:48am »

Oh jflynn......thanks

I'm in cycle right now, and just hearing of using the melatonin.

Hoping I can experience some of the success you're having

I'll let you know,

EDNA
IP Logged
M.Laun
New Board Newbie
Germany 

« Reply #12 on: Nov 12th, 2003, 9:40am »

very interesting.

I'm new here but have been a Episodic CH Sufferer since 1989. on the 11th of January i will have been PF for 3 yrs.  Smiley  

Why did my CH never come back?? I never gve it a thought. I don't like dwelling on the beast. After reading about your experiences with Melatonin; it may have been that i have been taking small dosis ( 3 mg ) of melatonin twice a week for the last 3 yrs.  i do get 'episodes' of droopy tearing eye coupled with very mild shadows, but no headaches.

IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 12th, 2003, 12:50pm »

Since I read a post about 4 weeks ago about Melatonin, I decided to try it.  I started with 3g doses, and it did not help at all, I was still getting woken up about 2-3 in the am and hit again about 6am and heavy shadows or hit again mid morning.  

I have been currently taking 9mg each night. I am still getting hit constitantly at 3am or so, but I am not getting the 6am one.  But I am starting to now get shadows earlier in the evening.  Not sure if the neast is just taking a different form or if the meletonin is actually helping.  

Tiannia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
thomas

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 12th, 2003, 12:55pm »

I didn't get good results with the melatonin untill I combined it with an ssri and magnesium supplement.
IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 12th, 2003, 12:58pm »

I might try that.  I am willing to try about anything due to the fact that I changed PCP and we started all over.  But I am keeping everything written down so that I can show him how / what / and when.  I also put together a huge file of paperwork sot hat I can bring him info cause he states that no research has ever shown that O2 works for these.  So I have a lot to teach hopefully he is open to it. I see him on the 5th, so it will be interesting to see what he says.  

Tia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
thomas

Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 12th, 2003, 1:00pm »

Good luck Smiley
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 12th, 2003, 1:22pm »

Quote:
I also put together a huge file of paperwork sot hat I can bring him info cause he states that no research has ever shown that O2 works for these.

I'm assuming you clicked on the "oxygen info" bar on the left, just above the yellow "OUCH website" bar.  Good luck with the doc/insurance co.
IP Logged
Edna
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 13th, 2003, 8:39am »

WOW!!   I've been fighting hard for a week now with my cycle. It's very different this year.  Yesterday I went out and bought myself some melatonin. So, last night, (although reluctant to take the whole 9mg) I took 3 of the pills (they were 3 mg each)

WOW     WOW     WOW

NO HEADACHES AT ALL LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although my sleep was very restless, and I woke about every hour to hour and a half.......NO HEADACHE!!!!

This morning for the first time in a week, I'm up, I'm dressed, I already made the bed, I already put laundry to wash, and DINNER IS ALREADY COOKING!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to give the advice here on the melatonin. And, special thanks to Mast for even informing me about it!!!!!!

I'm hoping it continues as well as it went last night, but even if it doesn't....it was worth that one good night of rest!!!!!

Will keep you posted and wishing everyone else the same outcome!!

pf wishes to ya,
EDNA
IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Nov 13th, 2003, 9:09am »

Xing fingers here that this good thing keeps on Edna

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
floridian

Email

« Reply #20 on: Nov 13th, 2003, 12:02pm »

Glad its working for you!!  

5htp is another way to boost melatonin production.  5htp is one step away from serotonin, and serotonin is converted to melatonin.  5htp may not be as effective as melatonin, as the signals to release melatonin at night could be blocked with CH.  But the combination may be more effective than melatonin alone.  

IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #21 on: Nov 13th, 2003, 1:24pm »

I wish you the best Edna.  It would be great to know that it did.  

PF Vibes coming your way.

Tiannia
IP Logged

jflynn
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #22 on: Nov 14th, 2003, 3:19am »

UPDATE:

More evidence to support melatonin?  I just woke up at 2:05am with a good old CH.  Why is this good evidence?  Tonight was the first night I didn't take the melatonin in my little trial since I started it.  Real smart, Jason, real smart.  

Luckily the CH is not horrible, just feels like my right eye is going to pop out, not shoot across the room. I'm off to a hot shower and move the melatonin to a more obvious place so this doesn't happen again.
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2003, 10:33am by jflynn » IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #23 on: Nov 14th, 2003, 11:39am »

Going to buy Melatonin today.  Any brand better than others.  What should I look for?
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #24 on: Nov 14th, 2003, 11:41am »

Good ole generic works for me.  I've had the best luck with 3mg of melatonin combined with 2mg of time release melatonin about 45 min before bed.  You can get it pretty cheap at GNC.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss