Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 2:10am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Success - I Think »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Success - I Think
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Success - I Think  (Read 848 times)
magicman1
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Success - I Think
« on: Nov 5th, 2003, 7:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

SmileyI tried a mild dose of shrooms, verapamil, choline, and flax seed oil. Something worked. My cluster never started at 18 months as usual. Question, do I need to stay on verapamil after the episode, or will the monster not return again for 18 months.
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

Re: Success - I Think
« Reply #1 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 8:24pm »

Check www.clusterbusters.com  You should be able to answer all of your questions there.  From what I hear, you should not need to be taking any meds.
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #2 on: Nov 6th, 2003, 7:36am »

The monster may return after 18 ,omths, or slip into a different pattern - something that often happens after shrooms. You may want to drop the verapamil now, toning down the dose gently and then stopping.  

If you feel another episode coming on,  go for the shrooms again, it should keep you clear.

I have not heard of flax oil helping shrooms along for clusters. Perhaps it is good for something else? Bunions maybe?
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
thomas

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 6th, 2003, 8:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Awesome, that is great.  No advice from me - haven't taken shrooms.  But WTG!!!
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 6th, 2003, 9:43am »

Quote:
I have not heard of flax oil helping shrooms along for clusters. Perhaps it is good for something else? Bunions maybe?

Flax oil is good for Every-Thing. Even bunions, I must assume.  It is anti-inflammitory and protects the connective tissues in the joints, even in the toes. Captive minks and foxes are given flax or fish oil so they have smooth skin and a nice, shiny coat. Grin   Closer to home, it improves autonomic balance and heart rate variability, which are messed up in CH.  The thread was titled "Autonomic Imbalance, N-3 Fats, Choline".  I don't know that it works directly with shrooms, but is more of a possible general support along the lines of magnesium.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2003, 10:03am by floridian » IP Logged
maria9
New Board Veteran

« Reply #5 on: Nov 6th, 2003, 11:57am »

Floridian,

Just a comment here, Dr. Dean Ornish does not recommend flax seed oil supplements for men, he does recommend fish oil supplements for men.  For women, he recommends flax seed oil as well as fish oil supplements.  Here is his rationale for not recommending flax seed supplements for men (from Web MD):

Research from Charles Myers, MD, at the University of Virginia Medical School in Charlottesville showed that flax seed oil causes a 300% increase in the growth of prostate cancer cells. He said, 'It is the most powerful stimulus we know of for prostate cancer cells.' Consequently, I do not recommend flax seed oil for men.

Maria   Smiley

IP Logged

"All you have to do is the best you can. A high wave comes, a crashing wave comes, a gentle swell follows. Whatever comes, stay in your boat. And enjoy the ride. And row." Peggy Noonan
floridian

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 6th, 2003, 12:25pm »

Maria,

thanks for the heads-up.  I have two books written by Dr. Murray where he does reccomend flax oil for all, but if there is new research, things need to be rethought.  I recall that flax oil is one of the richest sources of flavo-lignans, which are supposed to inhibit cancer lines that are promoted by hormones (estrogen or androgens).  But the truth is the truth regardless of what I might think - time to do some digging. Maybe I'll  need to switch back to Lysi (cod liver oil ...yum).
IP Logged
floridian

Email

More on flax
« Reply #7 on: Nov 6th, 2003, 1:02pm »

Did a quick review and am not yet convinced that flax oil is bad for prostate cancer.  Here are the results of the only two studies that have been published and indexed on medline:  

Dietary flax oil reduces prostate cancer cell growth in men:
"The mean proliferation index was 7.4 +/- 7.8 for the historic controls versus 5.0 +/- 4.9 for the diet-treated patients (P = 0.05). " from:  
Urology. 2001 Jul;58(1):47-52. Pilot study of dietary fat restriction and flaxseed supplementation in men with prostate cancer before surgery: exploring the effects on hormonal levels, prostate-specific antigen, and histopathologic features.   Demark-Wahnefried W, et al,     Division of Urologic Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA.

and this

"CONCLUSIONS: A diet supplemented with 5% flaxseed inhibits the growth and development of prostate cancer in the TRAMP model."  from:
Urology. 2002 Nov;60(5):919-24.  Effect of flaxseed supplementation on prostatic carcinoma in transgenic mice.
Lin X, et al   Division of Urologic Surgery, Department of Surgery, and Center for Aging and Human Development, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA.

"Phytoestrogens" from soy have been controversial, and I am not surprised that the same controversies might arise with flax. My take is that very large doses can definitely have effects on fetal development and young children,  but that modest levels of soy or flax do not cause this problem while they offer other benefits.  But not all the evidence is in, and its worth talking about.  

« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2003, 1:04pm by floridian » IP Logged
floridian

Email

More on flax
« Reply #8 on: Nov 6th, 2003, 8:35pm »

Maria,  

I followed your link and found some articles that contradicted the 2 I posted above. I will review them over the next few days and post something when I get a chance.  I also found that in a subset of the population, flax oil will not lower triglycerides, but fish oil will (I am in that subset).

Thanks!!  

Also, appologies for confusing Dr. Ornish w/ Dr. Murray - usually I keep their books on  separate shelves - don't know how I misread that one.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2003, 8:37pm by floridian » IP Logged
maria9
New Board Veteran

Re: More on Flax
« Reply #9 on: Nov 6th, 2003, 8:58pm »

Thanks Floridian, I enjoy reading your posts and all the information you provide us with, I am glad that in some small way I could assist you in trying to figure out WHAT IN THE HELL IS WRONG with all of us and what it is that we need to do to fix this.

Maria   Smiley

PS  I was hoping that you would respond to my post related to CH, seratonin, and sleep deprivation, I thought you might have some answers to some of the questions that I posed.
IP Logged

"All you have to do is the best you can. A high wave comes, a crashing wave comes, a gentle swell follows. Whatever comes, stay in your boat. And enjoy the ride. And row." Peggy Noonan
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 14th, 2003, 7:37am »

Huh
Okay, I maybe a bit stupid this morning after having 2 ch in the night, but what are shrooms?  I thought they were on the equivalent of an acid trip.  I just started my cycle and already would try anything.
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #11 on: Nov 14th, 2003, 8:41am »

Nope, not stupid. Go to www.clusterbusters.com and read about the mushrooms-treatment for clusters.
Many more people have had success than can be explained zway by coincidence or placebo.

IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
pinksharkmark
New Board Veteran
Dominican_Rep 

Clusterhead

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 12:59am »

It is not advisable to take mushrooms at the same time as any kind of fat or oil. The oil will inhibit the uptake of the active ingredients (psilocin and psilocybin). Take the mushrooms on an empty stomach. If after two hours you feel like eating something, go for it. The psilocin/psilocybin will all have been absorbed by then.

pinky
IP Logged
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #13 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 8:27am »

Paigelle -  

Yes, the shrooms are hallucinogens like acid, but usually you don't have to take enough to have much of a trip = more like a one or two-beer buzz. Dose a couple-three times and it might stop your cycle cold, though once the cycle gets a strong foothold, it's harder. It works best in-between cycles. Some folks have prevented multiple annual cycles with a few small doses a year. YMMV, but the success rate is high.

Biggest danger is taking too much and getting higher than expected. This can be extremely pleasent or extremely unpleasent, usually it's somewhere in between and in a few hours it's over.  Long-term side effects are nearly nil, unless you're paranoid, schizophrenic or extremely insecure.  

And what Ave said: www.clusterbusters.com

-tommyD

IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss