Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 8:01pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « salumedrol »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   salumedrol
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: salumedrol  (Read 1456 times)
christine karper
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

salumedrol
« on: Nov 10th, 2003, 6:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone tried salumedrol IV for clusters?  An intensive steroid treatment?
I have heard of one person having success?

I have tried Topomax, verapamil, lots others...
Only relief is with Prednisone & Imitrex- am chronic now and am interested in hearing other chronic sufferers long term relief histories.
THanks,
Chris
IP Logged

"we don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing"
~anonymous~
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

Re: salumedrol
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 7:07pm »

Chris,

I am also chronic...I don't think it is all that common that chronic clusterheads go for steroid therapy, at least long term anyway.  I have seen various med mixtures used with success.  Unfortunately, I have not found anything that has had any effect on my CH attacks in a preventative nature.

Salumedrol is a strong steroid medication, and I am sure it comes with a truckload of side effects.  

I know you have said that you tried some other preventative medications, but what were the doses, release and did you try any in conjunction with another?  

It is not uncommon at all for us to hear of folks that do not respond to several single meds, but when those non responsive meds are combined, all of a sudden they yield incredible results.

Additionally, some doctors are reluctant to increase dosage on some of these meds to a therapudic level for a clusterhead...they typically just don't know.  The last neuro I had wanted to stop trying verapamil at 240mg, when there are quite a few here that require 960mg.  I had no adverse effects from verapamil either.

Currently, I am on verapamil 240mgx2/day and depakote 250mgx2/day with no results.  In the beginning of December if there are still no results I'll be swapping the depakote for lithium.  

I am certain there are many stories, but there is nothing that works for us all yet.   Sad

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Unsolved
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I'm still alive ?

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 11:19pm »

Yes...I have done Solu Medrol IV. It WILL work for me just like DHE. It gives me a break from the headaches but they return quickly.  
Prense is right, Solu Medrol is a strong steroid medication. I can't give you much more information than that but I can offer some links:
Solu Medrol
Possible Side Effects
Another Link Here

Hope it helps

Unsolved

PS...If your having a BAD bout of CH ... Solu Medrol or DHE is definatley worth a try
IP Logged

I need a fully automatic Imitrex injector
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14th, 2003, 2:04pm »

I have had both injections of Medrol, and the 10 day Medrol dose pack.  The shot breaks the current event, and the 10 day pack may interrupt or break a cycle for me, but never for a long time.
Vi
IP Logged
notseinfeld
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Enough is Enough.        Vote Libertarian

krilldocument  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14th, 2003, 4:18pm »

Only relief is with Prednisone & Imitrex- am chronic now and am interested in hearing other chronic sufferers long term relief histories.  

Long term relief history? What's that?

Agree w/the prednisone being a miracle drug but the limited time is a true bummer. Having a hypothalamus that doesn't regulate hormones correctly makes it a likely candidate for hormone therapy.  

Cut short, gotta run.  
IP Logged

-----------Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. ---------------------
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss