Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 9:25pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Switching to beta-blockers (propanolol) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Switching to beta-blockers (propanolol)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Switching to beta-blockers (propanolol)  (Read 519 times)
Lampropeltis

Email

Switching to beta-blockers (propanolol)
« on: Nov 13th, 2003, 3:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the use of beta-blockers as a profalactic against cluster-headaches.

I have for the past year and a half been using a combination of verapimil and cafergot (both taken daily) to prevent my cluster headache attacks.  However, I have recently begun getting them occasionally and after speaking with friends (in pharmacy school), doctors and pharmacists, I have come to the conclusion that there is an outside chance that my body may just be used to either the verapimil or the cafergot or both.  Hence I am starting to get the ol clusters again.  Since I already take the max dosage of Verapimil, my doctor and I felt that switching to beta-blockers for a while would be a good move.  He also said I could go on taking the cafergot daily; however I have read in some books that the combo of beta-blockers and cafergot could have some bad side effects.  So I am curious if anyone here has ever been on beta-blockers like Propanolol; both alone or in conjunction with anything else like cafergot.  And if anyone has tried both beta and calcium channel blockers and noticed a difference.  Thanks for any info.   As you all might imagine, this has been a hellacious month.  After not having a cluster attack for over a year, I had forgotten how painful these freaking things really are!  

Peace
IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

Re: Switching to beta-blockers (propanolol)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13th, 2003, 3:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I take Propanolol every night.  This is all I take besides the imitrex table for abortives.  Prior to me taking them, I got more HA each day, then I get now, but they are still the same intensity when I do get them.  (Went from about 6 a day to about 3, 4 on a bad day)  I hope it works for you.  

Sorry it is not much help.  Undecided

Tiannia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
LSUnut
New Board Newbie

"Evil will always win because good is dumb!!!"

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13th, 2003, 4:25pm »

Same here, I switched from verapamil (bad side-effects) to propranolol a few months back and found that at 40mg/night the frequency was reduced but the severity remained the same.  My doc uped my dosage to 60mg/night and that has significantly reduced the HA occurance, but nothing so far has kept the beast at bay when he really wants to play.  I still have shadows constantly, as well.  They just don't seem to develop into full blown CH's as much anymore.  It has also been reported that propranolol can increase the serum levels of some of the triptans by up to 70% (longer duration and clearance) so be careful if it often takes you more than one dose to abort or ask your doctor what he/she thinks is appropriate.  Wink
IP Logged

Whoever said the fear of death is worse than death itself, obviously never suffered from cluster headaches!!!
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13th, 2003, 7:14pm »

There have been some folks here reporting a loss of effectivity with verapamil over time.  I'm curious though, what is your doc's opinion of the max dosage of verapamil?  The reason I ask is that my GP claims I am taking the max dosage at 480mg/day...that's not the max.  Anyway, I had no luck with beta-blockers, but some here do.  I have no idea with combining it with any other med.

Regards!
Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 9:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I took Inderal for 2 years and had wonderful results.  I took 3 pills a day and had only a couple of break through CH throughout what would have been my regular cycle of them.  My Dr changed my Inderal to 1 pill that was time released and it never worked again after that.  My last treatment was prednisone and it worked immediately.  I hadn't had a CH for almost 2 yrs until 11-13-03 @ 2:01am and then another @ 6:30am.  I am trying the Melantonin now to see if that helps.  If not, then I will try prednisone again in the next week, before I hit my episodic peak.
IP Logged
Marc
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 9:56pm »

This is interesting to me. For many years Beta Blockers have generally proven ineffective for Clusters, but often effective for Migraines.

Now, people are reporting success for Clusters - I'm not knocking it, but I can't help wonder what has changed?
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 10:45pm »

on Nov 17th, 2003, 9:56pm, Marc wrote:
This is interesting to me. For many years Beta Blockers have generally proven ineffective for Clusters, but often effective for Migraines.

Now, people are reporting success for Clusters - I'm not knocking it, but I can't help wonder what has changed?

Pretty much the same as I was thinking...
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss