Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 3:07pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « maxalt »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   maxalt
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: maxalt  (Read 554 times)
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

maxalt
« on: Nov 17th, 2003, 6:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys!

My GP gave me this wonderful new painkiller called maxalt. It's rizatriptan and you take it orally. It's wafel (10 mg) which melts into your mouth and at least for me, it also nicely takes away ch attack! What's the best, I didn't get any side effects, which is new for me (I usually get everything one possibly can).

Has someone else tried it?

Best wishes & PFdays,
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: maxalt
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 1:40pm »

I tried maxalt and it didn't do anything for me.  I have tried other triptans such as zomig, axert, frova, amerge, and imitrix.  I prefer imitirx ns because it kicks in a lot faster (10min) than the pills (1 hour).  
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 6:04pm »

There is nothing better than someone finding something that gives them relief from the beast!

Maxalt is not new...I tried it about three years ago, and again I tried it this year.  Unfortunately, it didn't even take the edge off my attacks...not even mild ones.  I did have some side effects from it, but nothing to be concerned about.

I'm not sure that triptans would be classified as a "painkiller".  It does take a little over an hour for maxalt to reach its full potential...nasal sprays and injections get there much faster than oral meds as Karla previously stated...same can be said for O2.

By all means though...if something is giving you what you want/need in the battle against the beast, stick with it!   Grin

It's great hearing some good news!

Regards...
Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 3:35am »

Hi Sandie, glad the Maxalt is helping, but...

I tried Maxalt wafers a few years ago when I was at my Doctors rooms. I was having a kip 10 at the time and it was the first time he had ever seen a CH "in action". He reckoned that this drug was the new miracle CH abortive. It did absolutely nothing for me, and 2 hours later I took an injection of the trusty imigran and 10 minutes later was pain free. I tried the Maxalt 5 more times (I had obtained 6 free samples from my Dr) over the next week and got no relief from them either. Thank god I also got more injections at the same time.

I have tried the imigran NS and Tabs and never had relief from them either. The inj works every time.
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 7:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Maxalt seems to help more with migraines.  I tried it for CH and it didn't help.  As a matter of fact, the beast liked it and got worse.  A CH likes many drugs!  

But for Migraines, Maxalt is my cousin's best friend.  

By the way, I am glad there is a Dr. out there who has seen a CH in action, especially a strong one.
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 8:05am »

Yeh, this Dr has been treating me for many years and was always very reluctant to let me have more than 2 injs prescribed at a time and I was going to see if he could give me more. While I was in the waiting room it started up big time. When he saw me he was quite shocked at the effect the CH had on me. I told him I get at least one of these bastards every day when I am in cycle. I left his office with a 6x repeat prescription for 12 shots at a time!
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 8:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have had one Dr see me with a CH.  Of course it was an urgent care center and I scared the Dr to death.  He was just starting out, had been in this care center for a week and I come in with what had been a KIP 8-9.  By the time I got there (I drove myself) it was around a 6-7.  This poor Dr got out 5 books on HA and started looking for what to do.  Now remember, this was before Imitrex was available.  It was so funny, because about a month later I ran into the same Dr. at a concert and he told me how much I scared him.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss