Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 12:48am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « bupap and Amitriptyline »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   bupap and Amitriptyline
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: bupap and Amitriptyline  (Read 4821 times)
Orneryolefart
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

bupap and Amitriptyline
« on: Nov 17th, 2003, 4:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I thought I was rid of the hellish CH's after 8 years and no attack.  I've been plagued with clusters for about 40+ years and thought there might be some new medications.  Went to a doc today who gave me som BUPAP to take when an attack occurs. Have any of you had experience with this drug? Frankly, I doubt it's gonna do much good, because it is a tablet and by the time it gets into the blood stream, the attack will be well on its way.  The other medication he gave me was AMITRIPTYLINE to take nightly (forever, I guess) as a preventitive.  What experience have any of you had with this.  Frankly, though I like this doc, I doubt he knows much about CH's.   They were called "histamine headaches" in the 1950's when I started having them.
  The Orneryolefart in Texas
IP Logged

The Orneryolefart in Texas
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: bupap and Amitriptyline
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 5:09pm »

I tried amitriptaline but it didn't do anything for me.  Everyone is different it may help you.  I have never heard of bupap.  Unless you mean butabitol whith pap? I have tried that and it didn't do anything for me either.  Hope it helps you.  Let us know how it works for you.  Always interested in learning about a new medicine.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 6:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Bupap

Active Ingredients: Acetaminophen and Butalbital  
Representative Names: Axocet, Bucet, Bupap, Butex Forte, Martel-Tab, Phrenilin, Phrenilin Forte, Tencon  
Available Product Images:  
Generic Available? Yes
For general information on generic drugs click here.  

Who is this for?

This medication is a pain reliever. It is used to relieve mild to moderate pain and tension headaches.

This crap won't touch a cluster, ask your doc for Imitrex injections. Best known abortive drug.

Good luck, Lee
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2003, 6:23pm by forgetful » IP Logged
hootchdom
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 6:25pm »

Amitriptaline is a tricyclic antidepressant it will increase the serotonin level. It will accomplish the same thing as a serotonin antagonist or a SSRI. You may want to do a search on serotonin there in the achieved posts. Lots of great information. I’m on lexapro a SSRI. There is a lot of research and links to low serotonin and they relate to cluster headaches. Can’t help you much on bupap.

Not sure if the amitriptaline should be the only preventative (once again we are not doctors only sufferers who do a lot of reading and research ourselves). It seems the preventative of choice is verapamil with a kick start of steroids, normally prednisone.

Wishing you pain free days in the near future.  
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 7:09pm »

Here's the info on tricyclics:

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/medications/tricyclic_antidepres sants.htm

BUPAP sounds like fiorcette which is good for tension headaches but won't put a dent in a cluster.

I do know a guy who swears by the amitriptyline (Elavil).
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
NewHeadPLZ
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1! But these Headaches S*ck

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21st, 2003, 4:13pm »

Sounds like you had the EXACT same Doctor I had when I first started seeing one about My headaches.  Because that's EXACTLY what he prescribed me.  After several more months of having these damn things, I finally decided that doctor was a quack!!!  I took me a while, but I finally found a GP (believe it or not) that new about clusters and diagnosed me correctly.  He got me started on O2 that night along with Verapamil, Prednisone and Imitrex.  I though I had found God himself!

I would suggest educating your Doc or finding a new one, because that crap he gave you didn't work for me and I doubt it will work for you!
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 24th, 2003, 9:53am »

Elavil worked wonders to stop clusters but i rank it at the absolute bottom as far as side effects and quality of life suckers.  You want to be a zombie?  This is it.

Choose your poison.

my $.02
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2003, 9:53am by vig » IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss