Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 9:08pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « prednisone & toradol »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   prednisone & toradol
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: prednisone & toradol  (Read 3444 times)
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

prednisone & toradol
« on: Nov 18th, 2003, 11:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Be nice as I'm new to this, please!

I have been suffering with chronic headaches for 7 years.  Went thru hysterectomy, sinus surgery that was botched with instrument puncturing ethmoid bone and into dura lining of brain, and numerous other misdiagnosis. I have tried imitrex, celexa, celebrex, robaxin, zanaflex, etc.  The only relief I have ever truly had is A.   a trip to e.r. room about 4 months ago and was given shot of demerol and phenergan, then i slept for 2 days and have no idea where I was much less if I was in pain.  B.    another trip to e.r. room just yesterday.  Doc diagnosed me with something called CLUSTER HEADACHES and here I am tonight.  He gave me shot of prednisone and shot of Toradol and a script for each.  Felt better 30 min. later and no narcotic loopiness as the demerol/phenergan gave me.

Has anyone ever used Toradol for Cluster Headaches and got results?  I've read tonight about prednisone but saw nothing about Toradol.

thanks
txcowgirl  Huh
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

Re: prednisone & toradol
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 12:42am »

Smiley
Welcome to the board.

The prednisone stopped my CH cycle, 70 days ago.
Have never tried the Toradol.

Lots of info located in the links on the left.

I am sure that someone here has tried the Toradol.  Maybe you will get a response from them.

Meanwhile, let us know how you are doing.  You will find lots of support on this site, and alot of folks willing to share info about what works for them.

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 8:51am »

Pred. will break a cluster cycle quickly but they come back as soon as you stop taking it. It does buy time for you to find a good headache doc and get a confirmation of the ER diagnosis and, if truly cluster, get on one of the meds used for prevention of cluster.

Toradol for cluster is unknown to me although it is a potent NSAID. I found it marvelous in the IV form after major surgery--but can onlyl be used, in that form, for a very few days.  

Basically, encouraging you to find a doc and get moving on a long term plan for living with your hedaches.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 5:01pm »

Jean and Bob,

Thank you for the response and encouragement.  I was at the point of not wanting to suffer anymore pain in this life and tired of the mad circle of misdiagnosis.  I have not had a headache since Monday after receiving the Toradol and Prednisone injections, BUT...I can feel the pressure in my neck and left orbital region today beginning to reoccur.  Fortunately, the doc gave me rx for both so I will be hitting them as soon as I get home.

I have been referred to the headache clinic at Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas and hear good things about their treatments for CH.

There really is someone else out in this world that knows how pain can ruin your life and understands the magnitude of the wretching middle of the night nightmare calling of that so called "BAND".

Please keep in touch!
Thanks
Renee (aka txcowgirl)
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.

Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 5:13pm »

Toradol did nothing for my husband's cluster pain.  Didn't even make a dent in it!!  But the pred did break his cycle for a few days.

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 5:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Toradol is great for migraine, nothing for my CH.  

Prednisone stopped my cycle cold and I was pain free to almost 2 years until the other night.  

Not sure how a shot of Pred will do though.  It will wear off quicker than a Rx that you taper with.  Wouldn't you think?
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 8:07pm »

It's good that you are going to see another doc...  I would definately not place much faith on the diagnosis of an ER doc.  Hopefully, you do not have CH...  I really mean that!  That said, if you find that it is in fact CH, you are not alone.  Read as much as you can here...take the cluster quiz and ask all the questions you want.  Vent, scream, kick (well...) here all you want.   Grin

Are your current HA attacks the same "type" as what you have been suffering for the last 7 years?  FYI, that amount of time seems about par for getting to correct diagnosis when dealing with CH.  I am not familiar with docs in the Dallas area, but I might be moving to Ft Worth in a few months...please pass on your impressions from your upcoming experience.  Hopefully, you have enough meds to get you through until you can get back to a doc.  ER visits suck!   Angry  Hang in there...keep us posted!

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 11:10pm »

Smiley
Renee,
Chris is so right.  It is quite difficult to find a dr that's really "up" on CH.

Alot of folks here print some of the info found on CH, and take that info with them to the dr.

Remember that you are not alone in this.  Come here anytime......day or night.  Someone usually here 24/7.  This site is a life saver!!!    

Stay with us.......continue to post, and let us know how things are going for you.

By the way.....I live north of Houston.  We're almost neighbors!!!!      Cool

Jean

IP Logged

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 10:33pm »

Gang,

Thanks for all the replies and support.

In answer to a question, YES, the headaches have been the same for 7 years.  ALWAYS on left side of face, droopy eye, stabbing pain above left eye interior side and on top of head on left side.

I made it from Mon. night until wed. after receiving the Toradol and Pred injections.  Wed. night I had to take 20 mg Toradol and 10 mg pred and that was only a band-aid of easing from a kip? 9 to about a 6.  Tonight...same story on headache.  I could feel the tightness during the day and about 9 pm it hit me HARD!  here we go again....i hate it SO much.  Does everyone get neck tightness and their CH's?

Thanks again,
Renee
IP Logged

TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 11:29pm »

Smiley
Hi Renee,
Mine were always on the right side.  The pain was from the right eye all the way down to the right side of my neck.  Don't think I would call it a tightness.......it was pain.  Icy cold wash cloths is what I had to use.  One for my right eye and temple area, and the other for my neck.  My husband sat beside me with a bowl of ice cubes and water and kept the cloths refreshed.

Cold works for some folks......others need heat.  Some get in a hot shower and they say that works.   Again, as you can see, different therapies work for CH.

Perhaps you can try either the cold, or the heat....and see if that helps to calm the pain.  Can't hurt to try!

Sorry that you had to suffer another CH.

Stay with us..........there's safety in numbers!!     Cool

Sending you lotz of pf vibes.........

Jean
IP Logged

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 21st, 2003, 11:52am »

Jean,

Thanks for the input.

Heat works best for me and I take hot jet baths and I have a heated massager with infrared heat that helps but only for a short period of time.  Still got the darn headache today.  

I took 5 mg pred, although rx says 20 mg, as I didn't want to use them all up, but got no results.

I hate this!!!  I can't take this pain!  This week has been almost a constant headache, since monday, but today is the worst!

renee   Cry
IP Logged

TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 21st, 2003, 12:22pm »

Renee,
So sorry you are suffering today.      Cry

How soon do you go to Dallas?  If not pretty soon, then you need to see a dr.  You need to get some meds that work!!

I always thought the Pred was to be taken on a taper.  However, I am not positive.  I doubt that 5mg is gonna do any good.

ER dr's know very little about CH.  Alot of other dr's don't either.  However, maybe you should see your gp if you can get an appointment.  Have you had an MRI ?
Always good to have one to make sure it's not something other than CH.

Also, I think you should go to the General Post area of the board.  Post there......you can tell them you have been posting here since you joined.  

Alot more folks read those posts.  

Don't give up, Renee.  Stay with us, sweetie.  We're here to help, so, please keep posting.

Jean
IP Logged

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 21st, 2003, 12:39pm »

Renee,
I started a new thread for you on the General Post area.

Go there....and post!!!

Take care........

Jean
IP Logged

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss