Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 6:11pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Second Hand Smoke »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Second Hand Smoke
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Second Hand Smoke  (Read 1986 times)
Piglett1969

Email

Second Hand Smoke
« on: Dec 12th, 2003, 9:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Has anyone ever had their clusters flare up as a result of being exposed to second hand smoke?  I'm out of town for a few days and staying with someone who smokes.  I had a mild headache (probably a 2) this morning when I woke up, and obviously, I'm a little worried that they could get ugly.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

Re: Second Hand Smoke
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12th, 2003, 9:32am »

I have had one from too much noise one time, but never smoke.  Went to a concert and I can't say for sure if the noise caused it or if it was just time for the cycle to begin.
IP Logged
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12th, 2003, 10:06am »

I smoke, but it seems like sometimes cigarette smoke does and other times it doesn't. Cigar smoke is a for sure trigger for me.
IP Logged
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12th, 2003, 10:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

too much cigarette smoke is a trigger for me.  I used to be a bartender, but had to quit.  Also, cigar smoke, even for just a few minutes, is a killer for me.
Vi
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12th, 2003, 10:48am »

I always light up right after my abortive starts working.
IP Logged
CHmess

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12th, 2003, 4:49pm »

I know that cigarette smoke triggers a MIGRAINE  for me -and my husband - we can't even be around it even a little bit. We're big whuses...  Smiley  as far as clusters though, I don't know....
IP Logged
5-string
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Nothing is accomplished without passion

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12th, 2003, 5:20pm »

Hello Piglet 1969,
 I remember one time a band I'm in was playing at a bar. A very very smokey bar. I had'nt had an attack for a week or so,thought maybe my cycle was ending then,BAM! got hit bad,had Imetrex nasal spray with me and that helped tremendously but life still sucked for about the next hour or so. And I am a smoker, so I was'nt convinced that was it. I called my neuro the next day and it made perfect sense to her. She said there probably was'nt enough oxygen in the room. 80-90 people breathing combined with 50-60 people smoking, no windows,door closed,a no brainer for her. My opinion, being a smoker, if there is plenty of fresh air coming and going around the room, you should be fine. Now that's just my experience, no studies that I'm aware of but...it makes sense to me anyway.
...Mark.

IP Logged
CJNine

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 14th, 2003, 9:48am »

Never had tobacco smoke trigger a cluster myself.  In fact as the abortive kicks in I find smoking actually eases the pain.

However, I have long suspected that a nasal irritant can be the final tripwire to kick off a cluster (petroleum smell, like hot tar, in my case), so it could very well be possible in your case.

Good luck,
CJ
IP Logged
hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19th, 2003, 11:10am »

Yep. That's the A number one for me -  second hand smoke. Never bothered me before clusters, though.

Doctor told me once when I said this brought on a headache that he wasn't surprised - there are more chemicals in the second hand smoke - nicotine, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde - people can smoke them firsthand and not get a headache, especially if they are blowing the smoke out a window, but that same person might be triggered by a smoky room.

Weird.
IP Logged

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss