Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 3:58am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « CH and cold meds... not a good mix!!!! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   CH and cold meds... not a good mix!!!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CH and cold meds... not a good mix!!!!  (Read 1471 times)
mucho_pain
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

CH and cold meds... not a good mix!!!!
« on: Dec 19th, 2003, 12:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Over the Thanks Giving holiday i came down with a bad cold... well in the routine of getting over it i took Nyquil and other cough meds.  

Not good.... After about a week of fighting this cold with cold meds, they seem to have knocked my CH med out of wack big time.  

It was like the old days before i had some control over these things. Nothing was working. The HA kept coming and coming.  

I stopped all cold meds and for about a week and a half after i was gettin hit 4 to 6 times a day with the beast.  

I was taking my 1/3 dose of imitrex injection 3 times a day, practically attached to the o2 24/7.  I was careful not to exceed the max dose in a 24 hr period of imitrex, however after using it so much for the week i eventually ended up with a day long rebound HA.  

My girlfriend and i went for a 20 mile bike ride with a group that does a Christmas ride every year here in Orlando, I was gettin tore up big time as we rode looking at the Christmas lights. Well they were looking at the lights, i was looking for an alley to go take a injection. I never did the injection since there were too many people around, they would probably think, "what the hell is this guy doing." So i suffered through the pain and ever since that night my control over the HA has gone back to normal.  

After reading about cold meds, most of them like nyquil and the others raise your BP. This is not good since verap, which is my main preventive, is after all BP medicine.  

Next cold i get i will have to keep this in mind and avoid the Nyquil. There is another cold med out there that doesn’t raise your BP... Cant remember the name of it but i have seen TV commercials about it... i will try that next time. Anything to not mess up the CH meds.  

Anyway.. just thought i would let you guys know so you dont end up going through what  i went through.  

Greg
IP Logged
Piglett1969

Email

Re: CH and cold meds... not a good mix!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19th, 2003, 3:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Makes perfect sense to me.  However, the first thing I thought when you said you'd taken Nyquil is that it has such a large amount of alcohol in it!  For me, if the clusters are active, any amount of alcohol will set them off every time without fail.  That might have also been part of why you had such a problem.

Hope you're feeling much better soon!
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

Re: CH and cold meds... not a good mix!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19th, 2003, 3:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Dec 19th, 2003, 3:17pm, Piglett1969 wrote:
Makes perfect sense to me.  However, the first thing I thought when you said you'd taken Nyquil is that it has such a large amount of alcohol in it!  For me, if the clusters are active, any amount of alcohol will set them off every time without fail.  That might have also been part of why you had such a problem.

Hope you're feeling much better soon!

I think the alcohol in the Nyquil makes perfect sense.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss