Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 11:19pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Fresh Research: CH and fat metabolism »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Fresh Research: CH and fat metabolism
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fresh Research: CH and fat metabolism  (Read 1497 times)
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Fresh Research: CH and fat metabolism
« Reply #25 on: Jan 1st, 2004, 5:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This whole question has me really wondering about the trigger that would cause me to get cluster headaches at the age of 47.  I had been in numerous, consecutive clinical trails for 5 years with elevated cholesterol.  During this time I tested various drugs for lowering cholesterol including the last drug now called Zocar. I did not have CH at the beginning of these trials, but at the end of the 5 years they had developed.  The M.D., Pharm D. at the clinic diagnosed me and then I was referred to the neurologist that I still have.  I wonder if these drugs during this time might have contributed to this nightmare.  Incidentally, I had discontinued Zocar about 3 years ago feeling that it made the headaches worse.  

twocents
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #26 on: Jan 2nd, 2004, 6:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Since I have lost weight on Atkins, and am sticking to this way of eating for the rest of my life, I will definately keep a journal for my next cycle, to see if my diet has any effect on my clusters.  I have been thinking about this for awhile now, wondering if cutting my carbs and sugar, and increasing my fats and protein perhaps will have an impact.  I haven't seen any CH'ers post their experiences with low-carb and clusters, so am excited to see what, if anything, will happen.  I do know of MANY many people who's bad cholesterol has come down, and BP and tryglycerides have become normal, thier arthritis has disappeared, etc.  So who knows?  This is an interesting read, and I thank you for posting it.
IP Logged
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Cannot kill the family, Battery is found in me

Email

« Reply #27 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 11:07am »

Here, a link is proposed between fat metabolism and melatonin via melatonin receptors in human adipose tissue. Also, long term melatonin treatment on certain melatonin binding sites was found to decrease glucose uptake.  

Endocrinology Vol. 142, No. 10 4264-4271
Copyright © 2001 by The Endocrine Society  

Functional Expression of MT2 (Mel1b) Melatonin Receptors in Human PAZ6 Adipocytes

Several reports have demonstrated that the pineal hormone, melatonin, plays an important role in body mass regulation in mammals. To date, however, the target tissues and relevant biochemical mechanisms involved remain uncharacterized. As adipose tissue is the principal site of energy storage in the body, we investigated whether melatonin could also act on this tissue. Semiquantitative RT-PCR analysis revealed the expression of MT1 and MT2 melatonin receptor mRNAs in the human brown adipose cell line, PAZ6, as well as in human brown and white adipose tissue. Binding analysis with 2-[125I]iodomelatonin (125I-Mel) revealed the presence of a single, high affinity binding site in PAZ6 adipocytes with a binding capacity of 7.46 ± 1.58 fmol/mg protein and a Kd of 457 ± 5 pM. Both melatonin and the MT2 receptor-selective antagonist, 4-phenyl-2-propionamidotetraline, competed with 2-[125I]iodomelatonin binding, with respective Ki values of 3 x 10-11 and 1.5 x 10-11 M. Functional expression of melatonin receptors in PAZ6 adipocytes was indicated by the melatonin-induced, dose-dependent inhibition of forskolin-stimulated cAMP levels and basal cGMP levels with IC50 values of 2 x 10-9 and 3 x 10-10 M, respectively. Modulation of the cGMP pathway by melatonin further supports functional expression of MT2 receptors, as this pathway was shown to be specific for that subtype in humans. In addition, long-term melatonin treatment of PAZ6 adipocytes was found to decrease the expression of the glucose transporter Glut4 and glucose uptake, an important parameter of adipocyte metabolism. These results suggest that melatonin may act directly at MT2 receptors on human brown adipocytes to regulate adipocyte physiology.

http://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/142/10/4264

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

Through water and fire. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought the Beast. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Cannot kill the family, Battery is found in me

Email

« Reply #28 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 12:59pm »

Your body needs fuel to burn for energy and heat. The type of fuel the body runs on is called glucose (blood sugar) which it manufactures from the food you eat, mainly carbohydrates. Once your food has been turned into glucose it enters the blood stream and cortisol (which is controlled by the hypothalamus and is messed up in clusterheads) tells it to go into the tiny furnaces in the brain and body cells where it's burned to make heat and energy, sort of like logs in a fireplace. If there isn't enough cortisol in the blood to tell the sugar to go to the cell furnaces, insulin (a hormone from the pancreas) clears the sugar from the blood and sends it into storage in the fat cells. This is why you can become weak and shaky, the red light is blinking on your fuel gauge...you need to gas up! This is why you feel like your blood sugar is crashing...It is! Although carbohydrates are the easiest to make glucose from, your body can make it from protein and fat, it just takes a lot longer. That's why when you run out of cortisol (and insulin stores your remaining glucose as fat) you'll crave carbohydrates and sweets, the body needs something it can make into fuel FAST! Your brain uses vast amounts of glucose and if you aren't producing enough cortisol your brain will not get enough fuel and you'll become groggy, tired and feel the need to go to sleep. Also if your life is stressful from high production, problems, illness, exercise or poor nutrition you'll use-up what little cortisol you have produced too early in the day, your blood sugar will crash and you'll become tired and groggy. If you are not producing enough cortisol life soon becomes a vicious cycle of the body running out of cortisol, then insulin storing your glucose as fat, the blood sugar crashing, you craving and eating carbohydrates, not enough cortisol to burn it as energy so insulin stores it as fat.  

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

Through water and fire. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought the Beast. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss