Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 2:59am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Melatonin, body temperature, circadian rhythm »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Melatonin, body temperature, circadian rhythm
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Melatonin, body temperature, circadian rhythm  (Read 1033 times)
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Cannot kill the family, Battery is found in me

Email

Melatonin, body temperature, circadian rhythm
« on: Jan 5th, 2004, 10:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Melatonin supplementation lowers core body temperature and can change your circadian rhythm. Find the right dosage and maybe you can tune your circadian rhythm right out of the "in cycle" state. Probably contraindicated with psilocin since it is also tuning your circadian rhythms and is also an indole. Also, beware of lowering your body temperature if you are fighting a cold or infection or are at increased risk for cold or flu or infection etc.... Who knows, ask your doctor.

Acute phase-shifting effects of melatonin associated with suppression of core body temperature in humans.

Deacon S, English J, Arendt J.

Endocrinology and Metabolism Group, School of Biological Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK.

Appropriately administered melatonin is able to phase shift circadian rhythms, to induce transient sleepiness and to suppress core body temperature. The relationships between these phenomena have not been fully explored. In a double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover study, 8 healthy males maintained a regular sleep-wake cycle in a natural environment throughout. From dusk until 2400 h on days (D) 1-4 subjects were in dim artificial lighting (< 100 lux) with darkness (< 1 lux) from 2400-0800 h. Sunglasses were worn during the day when outside. At 1700 h on D3 either melatonin (5 mg) or placebo was administered. Saliva samples were collected at 30 min intervals, 1600-2400 h on D3 and D4, and subjective alertness rated at 30 min intervals from 1600-2400 h on D3 and hourly from 0800-2400 h D4. Sleep quality was rated on nights 2, 3 and 4 and core temperature was recorded throughout. Melatonin induced a significant suppression of temperature and alertness peaking 2.5 h after the dose, together with improved sleep quality on the night of D3 and a phase advance of the endogenous melatonin rhythm on D4. The degree of phase shift was related to the amount of temperature suppression in 6 of 7 subjects with detectable melatonin, suggesting that temperature suppression is an integral part of the phase-shifting mechanism.

Publication Types:  
Clinical Trial  
Controlled Clinical Trial  

PMID: 7816333 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]  

PFDANs
-Curtis

« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2004, 1:00pm by CJohnson » IP Logged

Through water and fire. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought the Beast. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

Re: Melatonin, body temperature, circadeaon rhythm
« Reply #1 on: Jan 5th, 2004, 9:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

On my first visit to my neurologist, he asked me if I am hot-natured.  (I am very much so.)  Melatonin is effective for me in preventing CH.
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss