Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 5:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Female CH sufferers and hormones »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Female CH sufferers and hormones
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Female CH sufferers and hormones  (Read 398 times)
henzey
New Board Junior
USA 

civics queen who beats the beast most of the time

Female CH sufferers and hormones
« on: Jan 9th, 2004, 12:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am one of those rare female CH sufferers, age 48.  I used to get my clusters during the fall or occasionally during spring, but have just had a major episode during winter.  This immediately followed having three menstrual periods over a 6-week period, which is very odd for me since I have previously had periods every 22-24 days.  This CH episode also has been harder to predict...with headaches coming at odder times. This new episode clearly seems to be more related to hormonal fluctuations than in the past.  Topamax at 25 to 50 mg per day has helped so far (three days into it) but Melatonin actually has seemed to have a negative effective. On days that I took the Melatonin, I had a severe shadow headache when I woke up and continued to have several minor CHs throughout the morning hours.  If I didn't take the Melatonin at night, I only had a couple of minor shadows throughout the next day.  I would LOVE to hear from any other female CH victims, especially those who have been through episodes during their pre-menepausal or menepausal years.
IP Logged

civics queen CHead
Virginia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

v49acosta  

Re: Female CH sufferers and hormones
« Reply #1 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 1:00pm »

Hi Henzy, welcome to the board.

I'm 37 and haven't had a normal period in about 3 years.  I'm not pre-menapausal, the Dr's don't know what's wrong with me.  But I also turned chronic about 3 years but I don't believe there  is any correlation.  Normally, there is not any connection between clusters & hormones.  Headaches that are directly related to changing hormonal cycles tend to be migraines.

As far as the melatonin, I also did not get relief from it and I felt that my sleep pattern was severly disturbed.  I just stopped taking it last night and got more sleep than i have in a week.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help....Good luck.
Virginia
IP Logged

The Clusterhead formerly known as 9erfan.
henzey
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 1:07pm »

Well, I am glad that I am not the only one who had a negative reaction to melatonin.
IP Logged

civics queen CHead
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 4:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jan 9th, 2004, 1:00pm, 9erfan wrote:
Hi Henzy, welcome to the board.

I'm 37 and haven't had a normal period in about 3 years.  I'm not pre-menapausal, the Dr's don't know what's wrong with me.  But I also turned chronic about 3 years but I don't believe there  is any correlation.  Normally, there is not any connection between clusters & hormones.  Headaches that are directly related to changing hormonal cycles tend to be migraines.

Virginia

I am 35 and have the same problem as above with not having a normal period, but I am episodic.  I still get my CH cycle 99% of the time in the middle of November.  I tried the melatonin and it didn't help me.
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #4 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 4:44pm »

Hi, I am postmenopausal. In fact I only ever had migraines all my fertile life, then when I hadd the change of life, migraines disappeared and clusters took the stage.

If you are getting irregular periods, odds are it is menopause doing its thing.  

I have not yet seen clear evidence for a correlation between the cycle and cluster episodes, at least not inthe posts I have read her the last 3 years.
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
henzey
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 5:07pm »

Ave:  I am stuck at home with snow so getting to really read alot today and you have been a real help. I have appointment for annual physical on Monday and will tell my doctor about new developments with irregular periods.  My neurodoc said that she has had two female patients with clusters who DID see an increase in episodes during various parts of their pre-menopausal cycles...but that they got better once they actually entered menopause.  However, she said that others have been the opposite.  So, I will just have to see what happens.  I am most grateful that, thus far, low dosage of Topamax is working, but drinking a LOT of water so have to go to the bathroom alot  Grinand fighting some bouts of drowsiness during various parts of the day.
IP Logged

civics queen CHead
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 7:27pm »

on Jan 9th, 2004, 4:44pm, ave wrote:
Hi, I am postmenopausal. In fact I only ever had migraines all my fertile life, then when I hadd the change of life, migraines disappeared and clusters took the stage.

If you are getting irregular periods, odds are it is menopause doing its thing.  

I have not yet seen clear evidence for a correlation between the cycle and cluster episodes, at least not inthe posts I have read her the last 3 years.

My periods have always been irregular, since I started them.  My mother quit having clusters after hysterectomy.  I think it was just a coincidence, so does she.  Because I started having clusters before I had a period.  I have clusters since I was 10.  I do know that I absolutely cannot take the pill because if I do, it will send me straight into a cycle within 3 days.
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #7 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 8:18pm »

That's what I meant - for your mom clusters went when the cyce went. For me that's when they arrived. All informaton on this female hormone combo is inconclusive and anecdotal at best.

I have read here about cluster staying away during pregnancy and coming back as soon as the baby was born, and also about clusters going right on during pregnancy.

It sometimes seems that ANY upheaval of the body (even the removal of a gall bladder f'r instance) will cause  clusters either to stay away or to come on in force.

The cluster is a wiley beast!
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 8:51pm »

You might find these artricles interesting. Your local library can obtain them.

Re. special needs of women. Both of these in HEADACHE QUARTERLY, Vol X, #2, 1991: "Women and headaches:a comprehensive approach", p. 31-36.  "Special considerations in the management of headache in women", p. 37-43. The last one focuses on role of hormones in headache and how medications must be altered.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
henzey
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 8:53pm »

Thanks so much...I'll look these up at the university library.
IP Logged

civics queen CHead
jadedgazer
New Board Veteran
USA 

This isn't life threatening, just life altering

jadedgazer  

« Reply #10 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 12:42pm »

henzey,

The only hormonal effect I have seen is that during my cycle I get a small break from my otherwise chronic clusters, they don't completely stop but disipate in intensity for two days while I have migraines on the opposite side of my head. Strange as it may seem these two days are quite a relief in that the migraines in no way compare to the pain of a CH. A blast of Naproxen w/ a caffiene pill twice a day keeps the migraine at bay for the most part and these two days a month I feel almost normal.

Just thought I would throw in my experience.
IP Logged

Jackie S.
henzey
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 1:52pm »

That's certainly interesting effect....shows that hormones do have some impact on some iof us Cheads!
IP Logged

civics queen CHead
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 3:15pm »

Just wanted to add that I have ALWAYS had an irregular period (btw I'm not hear menapause, Im 26) but I have only noticed a correlation between my period and my migraines and not with the CH's.  I still haven't even noticed a pattern with my CH"s except in the past when I get a cycle it lasted  only bout 3 months, but that has been blown outta the water with this cycle (started in June and still in full swing)

Well anyways welcome to the boat.  Stick around this is a great group of ppl and there is a ton of info here.  All the buttons on your left are great (esp check out the OUCH site)
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
Melissa

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 11th, 2004, 9:08am »

My ch cycles are usually in Sept. every other year.  Last year, I had a baby in June, and about 2 1/2 weeks later, my cluster cycle hit me like a mack truck.  I think that hormones do play some sort of part as to how bad or not we get hit.  I don't know why though.  Wish I did.  

take care,
Smileymel
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 11th, 2004, 9:20am »

on Jan 9th, 2004, 8:18pm, ave wrote:
That's what I meant - for your mom clusters went when the cyce went. For me that's when they arrived. All informaton on this female hormone combo is inconclusive and anecdotal at best.

I have read here about cluster staying away during pregnancy and coming back as soon as the baby was born, and also about clusters going right on during pregnancy.

It sometimes seems that ANY upheaval of the body (even the removal of a gall bladder f'r instance) will cause  clusters either to stay away or to come on in force.

The cluster is a wiley beast!

Ave, I didn't even have a migraine when I was pregnant.  No clusters, no nothing!  Thank God!!!!

Maybe I should just stay pregnant!   Roll Eyes
IP Logged
henzey
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 10:42pm »

I started out this topic and gonna close out my part with an update.  Turns out that an annual physical has identified an unexpected issue that likely triggered both my unexpected CH episode and my very irregular and frequent periods even though my estrogen levels are okay. The trouble was that I had way too much iron in my body....which can make your melatonin levels be wacky in both directions.  It also explains why taking the melatonin supplements actually made me worse since my body was unable to handle it.  So....just wanted to give everyone an update since I started all this stuff.  I am now off the multi-vitamins and drinking more tea/coffee.
IP Logged

civics queen CHead
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss