Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 11:24pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « COFFEE? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   COFFEE?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: COFFEE?  (Read 1026 times)
ronnieK
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

COFFEE?
« on: Jan 9th, 2004, 7:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all,

My clusterred headache just started again after 2 years, and from the previous one, I learned that caffeine helps a lot.  Now,during the day coffee is my life saving solution, but at night time (about 9pm) I am banging my head against the wall.  
This site does not mention much about coffee.  Any inputs?    

Smiley
Ron
IP Logged
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: COFFEE?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 7:53pm »

caffeine helps me day or night when under or just prior to an attack.
IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #2 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 8:19pm »

Yes, caffeine helps by constricting the blood vessels.  Some headache medicine contains it.  

Nicotine does the same thing.
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #3 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 8:23pm »

ronnie, there's a lot being written here about coffee and nearly everybody hear swears by it. I's just not the "writing about coffee week" this week.

For thenight, you may want to look into oxygen. Button to the left of this board.

pfd&n
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 8:48pm »

Long, long ago we had long discussion on the subject.

Caffeine  is one of those paradoxical drugs: for some, it seems to trigger attacks when they are in a cycle; others find large doses an abortive (to some degree).

You'll have to draw a personal map on this one.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
henzey
New Board Junior
USA 

civics queen who beats the beast most of the time

« Reply #5 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 8:51pm »

I am not an expert on this, but I think that coffee or any major caffeine solution can have a rebound effect similar to some of the headache medications, which may explain why you need another "boost" of caffeine throughout the day.  For some of us, caffeine can become more of a trigger than a preventative over time.  I have found that I have to slowly wean myself off of caffeine once a cluster episode starts up...but I do mean slowly wean.  If I don't do this, my clusters are much more frequent and more painful.  However, you may not have this problem....
IP Logged

civics queen CHead
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 8:54pm »

Coffee is mandatory during an attack...folks here even keep the pot setup for the night time attacks.  It does not abort for me, but it sometimes eases the intensity for a temporary duration...never triggered or rebounded from coffee thus far.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
5-string
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Nothing is accomplished without passion

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 10:43pm »

I will give up coffee when the mug I am holding is pryed from my cold dead fingers. Cool
...Mark..
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 2:45am »

Caffeine is a vaso-constrictor.

which is one of the tools we need to fight this beast.

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 3:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Purely anecdotal of course and not scientific but I met a CH sufferer who reckoned he aborted 80% of his attacks with really huge blasts of caffeine (coffee downed with caffeine pills).
Lucky bloke but he was convinced!

Wendy
IP Logged
FrankF
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 10:28am »

Coffee helps me sometimes. I add 2 heaping TABLESPOONS of Folgers Instant to a cup of hot water. Tastes like shi* but the caffeine is like eight cups of coffee in one.
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #11 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 11:38am »

Hanzey, you don't mean the weekend or holiday coffee headache?

You get used to a certain caffeine intake every day., the theory goes. Weekends, holidays you get up late, you don't take your cup at the time you are used too - you get a sort of detox-symptoms, including headache.

I never had this.

I take a fair amount of coffee, including often late at night when I cannot sleep... Yep. After I have done that and read a bit, I can usually sleep like a baby.

When I am not only grey but very old, I will request them to put me on the coffee IV; will save them feeding me!
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
ronnieK
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 11:46am »

t_h_b

You kidding right?

I thought cluster headaches happen because of lack of oxigen as my doctor explained.  This is caused because of oxygen due to stress (most of the time).  He also told me to do a lot of exercise, especially running with a walkman or something to distract me from thinking.  I guess running would accelerate or force oxigen to our lungs.  Can you imagine what niccotine would do to a brain that needs oxygen?  I am not sure if I am right on this but any input would be apreciated too  Wink.

RonnieK.
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 12:30pm »

Bloody hell

Wish life was as simple as your Doctor thinks!

CH is caused by a lack of oxygen!!!

That's a few zillion £ and $ in wasted CH research all over the world finding the cause then, Ronnie's doctor has it sorted.

Wendy

Sorry for the sarcasm Ronnie, it's not directed at you!

CH Is NOT caused by lack of oxygen brought on by stress. They don't know what causes it, but all CH sufferers do have a deformed hypothalamus.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2004, 12:32pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #14 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 1:15pm »

No, I'm not kidding at all.  Vasoconstriction is the easiest way to acute relief from CH.  Nicotine, besides being poisonous, is a vasoconstrictor.  Both nicotine and caffeine are absorbed fairly rapidly and that's nice, too.

Whatever the underlying cause of a vascular headache, shrinking the blood vessels takes pressure off the nerves involved and helps to relieve the pain.  That's probably why ice packs work.

Imitrex works the same way, except that it targets receptors specific to cranial arteries.

I also think that there may be multiple possible underlying causes of CH.  For me it seems to be a lack of melatonin, not oxygen.

Warning: rebound headache can occur when the vasoconstriction ceases.

My neuro recommends aerobic exercise as well.  I find that having a cluster headache distracts me from thinking well enough that I don't need a Walkman for that!

I'm not a physiologist but when you exercise it increases the muscles' need for oxygen and might decrease the amount available for the brain.  Fortunately, the heart and brain get first pick on the oxygen in your blood.

p.s.:  Since your MD understands the cause of cluster headaches, please get him to tell everyone else instead of keeping it a secret.  Might save us all a lot of pain in the long run.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2004, 1:32pm by t_h_b » IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
henzey
New Board Junior
USA 

civics queen who beats the beast most of the time

« Reply #15 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 2:00pm »

To Ave:  I am just one of those who caffeine becomes just as much of a trigger as it does a short-term help.  Yes, a strong dose of caffeine can abort one, but it will also bring on other more quickly and more strongly.  Whereas, if I wean myself off very slowly, I can shorten my episodes and the number of headaches.  I have no idea why it does this...but it just does.
IP Logged

civics queen CHead
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 3:15pm »

on Jan 10th, 2004, 11:46am, ronnieK wrote:
I guess running would accelerate or force oxigen to our lungs.  

The ratio of O2 used vs intake will increase during exercise...your body is using more to maintain the activity.  The more vigorous the activity, the faster this happens.  The more "in shape" someone is, the less drastic the effect.  I don't see where exercise would have the same effect as sucking on an O2 bottle...the effect would be the opposite.  Probably more of an endorphin thing...

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Stevieray
New Board Newbie
Canada 

« Reply #17 on: Jan 11th, 2004, 2:14pm »

Maybe it is time to rev up the expresso machine! Then again, what about chocolate coated expresso beans? I used to use them when driving to keep me awake when on a long haul. Any thoughts?
IP Logged
Timmi
New Board Newbie
USA 

:P :PRe: COFFEE?
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 12:36am »

Coffee is the drink of the gods durring my episodes.Relpax seems to be working for me.No full blown attacks in nearly a week!!!!!!! I feel I may be able to have my nightly beers again soon Tongue
IP Logged

it's got you now.just lie there and be it's bitch untill it leaves.
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 8:49am »

Coffee helps me alot.  I keep a pot ready to roll at night if needed.  Also, it will make meds work quicker.  Don't know why though.  Just make sure your coffee is super strong and super hot.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 11:29am »

Coffee is more than just caffeine.  It is a good source of choline, and is rich in anti-oxidants (on par with green tea and red wine).  The hot temperature could also play a role.  

Coffee in the short run is probably good for headaches in general, and CH in particular.  Chronic large doses of coffee could be bad for CH,  though. Somebody posted recently that high coffee consumption was even more pronounced among clusterheads than high nicotine consumption. Could be like imitrex, which provides short term relief but may actually increase the number of headaches in the long run.
IP Logged
blindboy3am
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #21 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 12:59pm »

I started suffering from CHs two years ago and usually only during periods of Dry Climate (I live in FL so that's winter here). After the first year I gave up coffee and smoking and the next winter (last winter) I didn't have any. Well this year I was back to smoking and drinking coffee and BOOM! Here we go again. It's been a couple of weeks with two to three a day. Nothing is helping. HURRY UP SPRING!!!!!
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 1:16pm »

I have to agree with Prense and 5 String on this one...the coffee definitely is a must!

And........I have never heard that caffeine can bring on a CH quicker and stronger    Huh

Oh well, what do I know........... Huh  Never got my Medical degree    LMAO......But I damn sure got CH !!!!!!!!!!!!      

PF vibes...........

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 2:18pm »

on Jan 12th, 2004, 1:16pm, TxBasslady wrote:
I have to agree with Prense and 5 String on this one...the coffee definitely is a must!

And........I have never heard that caffeine can bring on a CH quicker and stronger              Huh

Oh well, what do I know........... Huh  Never got my Medical degree         LMAO......But I damn sure got CH !!!!!!!!!!!!            

PF vibes...........

Jean

I think since we have CH, they should just give us honorary degrees in suffering.  Hell, we know more about it than most doctors do anyway.
IP Logged
Janzokris
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Y me???????????

« Reply #24 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 2:52am »

After reading everyones replies on this I tried it out, Im no a coffee drinker, but thought what the hell mite as well try it. It did sooth my CH as did having a smoke at the same time. Could this be a case of "mind over matter" go on shoot me lol I know nothing eases the pain totally but I will admit the CH did ease with the strong cup of coffee, did not go away completley but eased.

Just my tuppence worth

Janet
IP Logged

Please someone take this pain away and let me sleep!!!
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss