Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 8:51am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « prednisone »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   prednisone
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: prednisone  (Read 744 times)
backagain
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

prednisone
« on: Jan 12th, 2004, 9:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Like most of us, I have tried just about every medical treatment available in my 20 years with CH's.  Three years ago my neuro prescribed prednisone 80mg w/ 11day taper.  It was a miracle!  Cycle ended within 24 hours.  I thought I had this licked.  Now cycles are occuring more frequently and lasting longer. The higher doses of prednisone prevent CH for a few days but as I begin to taper, they return.  

Just a few of the side effects of long term steroid use include:  decreased immune response, bone weakening, and depression.   So far, I have not developed any infections while on pred., but in November I fell and had a severe spiral fracture of the ankle and displaced fracture of  the fibula which requred surgery.  and I am very depressed as well.  

I just wanted to warn others of the risk of decreased bone strength and to ask if anyone else has had such problems.

Also, if taking prednisone add a calcium and vit. D supplement.

Wishing everyone a pain free day!
IP Logged
jflynn
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: prednisone
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 9:36am »

Pred never worked for me but melatonin works very well.
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 9:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Same thing happened with me when I took prednisone.  The first time I took it, 2 years ago, it kicked the cycle out.  But this year, different story, worked until I tapered.
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 3:32am »

Hi Backagain

The "prednisone holiday" has been well documented on this board in the past. It brings relief for a few days or a week and then the CH comes back with a vengeance much worse than ever, even if you continue with the pred. After a break of a few weeks the pred again works for a few days relief.  

IMHO the pred just extends the life of the cycle by the amount of "relief days" it gives.

I have vowed never to use prednisone again.

I have just had success breaking my latest cycle in the last week, and my previous cycle in May 2001 with my detox diet. See my post on the subject. May be worth a try for you

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss