Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 4:56pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « How about chiropractic treatment for CH's? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   How about chiropractic treatment for CH's?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How about chiropractic treatment for CH's?  (Read 539 times)
Judy_K
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

How about chiropractic treatment for CH's?
« on: Jan 17th, 2004, 10:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My husband has been in this episode since mid-October.  Has been to 3 different doctors.  Has tried Paxil CR (didn't work), is now on Verapamil, Topamax, and Imiprimine and working off of Cafergot.  The side effects have been bad!  He has lost his job!  We are looking all different directions for a cure!  What about a chiropracter?   There's one in the Spirit Lake, Iowa area, a Dr. Larry Dixon, that claims he can help.  What should we do?   My husband's current neurologist said, "Do not go to a chiropracter!"   He also said, "By no means don't quit smoking!"  My judgement of him waivered at that point!   He also claims stress has no bearing on CH's.  Jon's started after the full-term stillbirth of our little grandson in October.  We can't help but think that was a trigger!

Thanks for any help!
Judy_K
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

Re: How about chiropractic treatment for CH's?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18th, 2004, 3:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello Judy

I'm very sorry for the loss of your grandson, both of you must be finding this very hard to accept.

Also sorry your husband suffers from this evil affliction, but you have come to the right place for help. So welcome to both of you.

There has been a lot of discussion about chiropractice here, most of it very negative. It has helped a few people but for many more, it has just emptied their wallets.

Also, giving up smoking doesn't appear to help lessen attacks, but it is a good idea (says me who smokes and can't give up!)

What abortives is your husband using?
I don't see a mention of Imitrex or 02, the two main ones.

Keep posting, people here can really help.

Wendy
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2004, 6:36am by pubgirl » IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #2 on: Jan 18th, 2004, 6:01am »

Judy, there is something you need tounderstand if you want to help your husband. This type of headache is not caused by somebody's personal habits or possible inability to relax.

It is a neurological condition, probably caused by a malfunction  in the hypothalamus. Many of us suffer this periodically, a few months a year, but outside that period nothing will trigger an attack.  

I must say that most sufferers here find that stress does NOT cause or even trigger cluster headaches.
For some it is the letdown after stress that may trigger an episode.  

Smoking is bad for you but does not cause this sort of headache. It can even relieve the pain because it works as a vasoconstrictor. And if the doc said that,  s/he must be knowledgeable about clusters.  

For chiro's, why don't you check out the archives - I can remember only one person saying good things about  a chiropractor but maybe there were more...

And if you feel unhappy about the meds, look into Oxygen - a godsend for many ;button on the left,  and home remedies on the OUCH site: button left of this screen, or go directly to

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/meds.htm

good luck, and do come back. Oh, and let your husband know about this. Talking to people who understand helps such a lot.

ave
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 18th, 2004, 9:12am »

Hi Judy,

Sorry about your husband's current bout with these monsters.  I can understand your willingness to try anything that might help.  One thing I really discovered on this board is how different we clusterheads are when it comes to medical treatment.  What works for one persons may not work for another.

I and many others have had good luck with melatonin.  Look up some of the recent threads on melatonin.  It is cheap, readily available (OTC) in the U.S.  Make sure to do a search on melatonin and be certain that it does not conflict with any of his current medications.

Good luck,

John
IP Logged
toader
New Board Veteran
USA 

there were fireworks on mars

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18th, 2004, 11:32am »

Judy,

If you can afford it or have the insurance, there is nothing wrong with going to see a chiropractor.  You should not view it as a possible "cure" for CH or even a treatment for CH per se but more of an exploration of a possible general wellness program for your husband.

I've been suffering from CH for about 2 months now - my first time ever.  I'm on the typical drugs from the neurologists and these are the type treatments that your husband also needs to be on.

I also see a chiropractor, an acupuncturist, cranio-sacral acupressurist and a massage therapist.  Why?  Because I could use some pampering and it makes me feel pretty good.   Roll Eyes  Plus my wife happens to have great insurance.   Seriously, it's part of my general wellness program which includes diet and exercise and plenty of Garfield.  

CH must be treated properly.  I would never dream of using these type of therapies in place of my meds.  It's a great supplement to the treatments I have in place.

Best of luck to you all!
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18th, 2004, 12:11pm »

I don't remember anyone here claiming chiropractic helped get rid of cluster headaches.  It does help me with my neck, which gets very tense and out of whack when I am in cycle.  You might want to consider chiropractic as a support therapy, but it doesn't get to the root of the probleml.
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2004, 12:12pm by floridian » IP Logged
Edski_1
New Board Veteran
USA 

All the years combine...they melt into a dream...

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18th, 2004, 9:46pm »

My neck feels lick a friggin' brick is in it.  Still, and *think* I'm coming out of cycle...not much to speak of for the last few days...well 3 of the last 4.  Still going to increase the topamax to 100 mg as scheduled by the neuro, since it's been working wonders for me.

But the neck...it's been pretty tense, so a good massage probably would be pleasant.  Not sure it would lead to any great relief, but it would *feel* good to be pampered, as has been mentioned! Cheesy

And attitude is so much!
IP Logged

This is the mystery of the quotient; upon us all a little rain must fall...
Stevieray
New Board Newbie
Canada 

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19th, 2004, 12:47am »

There is a major lawsuit going on right now by the family of a woman who reportedly died (of a stroke) after having a cervical ajustment. I have gone to chiropractors for years and have always felt uncomfortable about them ajusting my neck and quite often just say no to it. I know there is a chance of something going wrong and I would rather suffer the pain than be pushed around in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. I aso have the pain in my neck and shoulder from CHs but I think that going for massage therapy would be better and safer than a chiropractic ajustment.
IP Logged
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 19th, 2004, 1:52am »

For the bad news

For some good stuff.

Good Luck,
Mark
IP Logged

Click The Flag
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 19th, 2004, 8:35am »

I worked for a chiropractor for 5 years and NO it didn't help my CH.  The best thing the treatments did for me was after the initial CH is over, I am very sore and he could help me with that.  But as for CH no help at all.

Good luck, everyone seems to respond to things differently.
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #10 on: Jan 20th, 2004, 3:05am »

Many years ago a friend of mine complained about a pain in his upper back for several weeks and his doctor recomended a chiropractor. He went in the early afternoon. He returned to work later. After work he was driving out of the office on his motorcyle and dropped dead from an embolism. The Chiro must have dislodged a clot or something. Anyway I have never been to see one since!

I get stiff neck and shoulders during/after a cycle - probably die to the muscle tension from all the pain. I find that a massage or a body stress release session or two helps to ease the discomfort, but seriously doubt that this or a Chiro would have any bearing whatsoever on aborting a CH or CH cycle.

my 2 cents
John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss