Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 6:42am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Wish me luck...upping Topamax dose to 100 mg »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Wish me luck...upping Topamax dose to 100 mg
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wish me luck...upping Topamax dose to 100 mg  (Read 535 times)
Edski_1
New Board Veteran
USA 

All the years combine...they melt into a dream...

Email

Wish me luck...upping Topamax dose to 100 mg
« on: Jan 19th, 2004, 5:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, today is the day I pop a 100 mg topamax.  Been doing 2 25 mg pills for the last 9 days, started doing 1 25 mg pill the first three days.  From what I've read that's a pretty sane ramp-up...

It's been working great.  Yesterday was the second day in a row without a headache (other than some shadows), and third in the last four...so I'm a little reluctant to change anything...

But the Neuro turned me on to this stuff, and it's been working, so I guess I should have faith.  If the beast comes back I suppose I can always cut the pills in half and ba back to my 50 mg a day. Cheesy
IP Logged

This is the mystery of the quotient; upon us all a little rain must fall...
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Wish me luck...upping Topamax dose to 100 mg
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19th, 2004, 6:00am »

If it's working, I do not understand why the ramp up?  Anyway, glad you're having some relief and hope it continues for you.

Grin
IP Logged
Edski_1
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19th, 2004, 6:59am »

Ramping up 'cuz that was the plan...Doc gave me a sample of 25 mg pills and a sample of 100 mg pills and said "take 2 a day of these till there gone, then 1 a day of these, and see me in three weeks.  Sooner if things are not better..."

I actually too the liberty to alter things because I'm a stupid guy who reads...there were 21 pills in the 25 mg samples, so I was not going to have an even number of doses...so I decided to take a single 25 mg doses that first day...and I learned my first lesson about "Dopemax"...and was concerned about being at work (wow, what a concept now! Tongue) on the stuff, so I took only a single 25 mg for a couple more days rather than take 50 mg a day like the Doc said...

That also matched a little closer what I read was a suggested dosing schedule...to avoid the unwanted side effects...

Anyway, at this point I'm out of the 25 mg pills, so I'd have to cut the 100's...I didn't and I took the 100 an hour ago, and I'm feeling the "dopey" rush already...oh well, got nowhere to go, kids are home from school.  My son can drive me anywhere I need to go, and I think I know what to expect.  So far, so good, I think it's gonna be OK Cheesy

Might need to read the comics, right, Toader? Wink  Or fire up a database server and try to write a computer program! HA!
IP Logged

toader
New Board Veteran
USA 

there were fireworks on mars

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19th, 2004, 9:58am »

You're on half my dose so you might be ok  Cool

But just in case, better start leaving clues wherever you can of your former life ... that way it will be a fun puzzle to solve later sorta like "the Edski Identity"
IP Logged
jadedgazer
New Board Veteran
USA 

This isn't life threatening, just life altering

jadedgazer  

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19th, 2004, 12:40pm »

Just a thought...you might want to split your dose. Half in the am and half in the pm. That is how I took it, seemed to make things more manageable for me. (I got to 400mg daily, 200 in the morning and 200 before bedtime.) Of course, check with your dr. first. He may agree to this dosing schedule for you.

Good luck to you!
IP Logged

Jackie S.
Edski_1
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 19th, 2004, 12:48pm »

We'll see on that one...might be an idea, as most of the literature I've reas has suggested splitting the dose on ANY size for this stuff, but my Doc said otherwise and to this point I haven't been.  I tolerated the 50 mg in one shot pretty well, and seems others are handling 100 mg at a time, so I'm not going to rush to conclusions based on 7 hours...

And it's going OK, I guess...I feel a little hint of a shadow...guess I'd call it a K1, that'll be what I call it in my notes, but the dopey feeling I hade earlier in the morning is gone.  Did let my son drive the car though Smiley

Appreciate the thoughts! Smiley
IP Logged

Virginia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

v49acosta  

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19th, 2004, 3:18pm »

Good luck with this Edski.

I would be nervous to do that jump in dosage.  My neuro just gave me a scrip for Topomax (which I haven't tried yet) but he said if I got relief on the lower dosage, no point in increasing.

I would call the neuro if I were you, if you doing good on the lower dose why not stay there?  Course, that's just my humble opinion...

Virginia
IP Logged

The Clusterhead formerly known as 9erfan.
Edski_1
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19th, 2004, 4:02pm »

I'm not sure what exact "good" is supposed to be...is it "almost" PF?  That feels really nice to  be sure, but there have been shadows...

Complete PF, not yet...

So far 10 hours in on the new doseage, just had to crash for about an hour for a nap.  Have a little hint of a shadow, but compared to most of this cycle I'll take it...actually since I woke up from my little nap it's going away.  So I don't think I'm going backwards pain wise.

Had a few moments where the words weren't on the tip of my toungue today, but like when I first started this stuff about 2 weeks ago, seemed that that went away.  I'm supposed to see the Neuro in about a week...so unless things change drastically, I think I'll stay the course.
IP Logged

Edski_1
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20th, 2004, 8:04am »

Well, decided to tweak it...split the 100 pill this morning.  Never did get more than shadows yesterday, so that's been the extent of things for 4 of 5 days! Smiley

As for the "Edski Identity" game...decided that I have to keep my programming/IT skills up while I look for a job...so I'm starting to create a Job Search database...with a paper trail to go a long with it.  A good friend recently was out of work for a while, and documented his job search really well, said it impressed the unemployment folks.  Heck, I LIKE to work...not looking forward to lying fallow.

I've been wanting to put Windows 2000 on my computer (have dual hard drives...allows me some administrative freedom), so now I guess is a good time to start that project.  While I dopey out I can learn a few new tricks, re-establish some old contacts, make some new ones, and keep track of it all! Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss