Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 1:37pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Topomax seems to be working »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Topomax seems to be working
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Topomax seems to be working  (Read 473 times)
rbmb
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Topomax seems to be working
« on: Jan 27th, 2004, 2:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Haven't posted here much but thought my experience might be informative for others. Have had episodic CHs for several years and tried most preventatives discussed on this board (o2, prednisone, lithium, etc) and some abortives (imitrex pills, zomig pills. DHE injections). The DHE self-injections work to stop an attack but nothing has really been really effective at preventing them until this time around when my neuro prescribed Topomax. Started at 25 mg in morning and 25 at night and upped to 50 in morning and 75 at night and have experienced mostly very mild headaches with a few intense ones and none at all for the past week and I'm over a month into a cluster period (which usually last about 6 weeks). Don't know yet for sure if medication is working or if worst is still yet to come but I would normally be in a pattern of every-night-severe headaches if past experience is any indication.
     As others have noted however, there is a price to pay. I've had difficulty concentrating at work and remembering things and have noticed some moderate tingling in my hands. Assuming these side affects will go away when I taper off this stuff, it's a price I'm willing to pay not to have to indure these horrible headaches.
       Rich
IP Logged
magman
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Topomax seems to be working
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27th, 2004, 3:10pm »

Hi Rich,

Glad to hear the topo is working for you. It is for me too.

I haven't as yet been 'officially' diagnosed as having clusters. Been treated for migraines for 18+ yrs. The Neuro put me on Topomax a yr and half ago..25mg x2 every day even though I only had headaches episodes periodicaly.

This year they hit with a vengance. After 5 wks i could take no more and couldn't get an appt. with the doc so I became one. Upped my dose to 100mg x2. That very night I went pain free and have been ever since.

I must admit though, that fast of a ramp up has some side effects....concentration, typing skills, itchy/tired eyes.  

Fired the Neuro today and found a new one that I see tomorrow. I believe I am finally on the raod to getting a handle on the proper and official diag and will be properly armed for my next episode 13 months from now.

-dan
IP Logged
Edski_1
New Board Veteran
USA 

All the years combine...they melt into a dream...

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27th, 2004, 3:28pm »

Rich, I have a topamax success story too, it appears.

I started a cycle in late October and was takeing cafergot with Zomig accasionally up until seeing the neuro in January 7.  He started me with Topamax...25 mg for the 1st 3 days, then 9 days at 50 mg a day, and now it's been about a week plus at 100 mg a day.

I'm having a few minor headaches still...now they get to about a K2-K3, and last maybe 15 minutes or so...sometimes I have to take a few ibuprofen.  Seems the Ibuprofen works pretty effectively.  Except for the 2nd day on topamax, I have not had to use any Zomig at all... Smiley  Many times the shadows/slight headaches just go away without any treatment...

I see the neuro tomorrow for a follow up tomorrow.  I really can't guage if I'm just covering up the cycle of if it's getting busted...I had a bout with the beast about 14 years ago, and it was mis-diagnosed, so I really don't remember how long it lasted.  Having lost my job recently I have an added layer of stress in my life with a job search now...seems that my most noticeable shadows lately are coming while I'm onethe way to interviews or driving in traffic on the way back from them...

But basically I think that this drug has been, with Zomig, a God-send! Smiley  And the knowledge I've recieved from reading the accounts from others in this forum, and the resources they have ponted me to, have been fascinating!
IP Logged

This is the mystery of the quotient; upon us all a little rain must fall...
rbmb
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 27th, 2004, 5:11pm »

Glad to here the Topo is working for you.....I've been disappointed in the past when they've given me something new to try and I get this agonizing HA and realize "this stuff isn't doing anything to help". Regarding stress.....most of what I've read about CH says they are seasonal and/or caused by changes in the hypothalymus, not by environmental factors like stress but I don't entirely believe that. Just as alcohol is a known trigger for CH, stress could be a delayed-reaction trigger also. Good luck.
   Rich
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss