Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 10:50am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Connection: intelligence? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Connection: intelligence?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Connection: intelligence?  (Read 4062 times)
deekaph
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Connection: intelligence?
« on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 2:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just a thought here guys, but in the past week I've been talking with some of my professors and two of them said "Yes, I get the suicide headaches..." ... Then I picked up "Pi" (a film about a guy with clusters who is looking for the god number) and I've been thinking.......

Is this our punishment for being smart or what? My profs are obviously highly intelligent (the D in PhD don't stand for dummy, as Dr. Tapley always says), and all false modesty aside, I know I'm unusually bright and creative. In three years I written, performed, produced and recorded over 200 songs all by myself, speak a couple/few languages and play 6-12 different instruments (depending upon how you start counting). I'm also a published poet and private author, former policy maker/speech writer for a political party (when I was 21), and am an otherwise vast vault of obscure knowledge. Not to mention my innate talent for rambling on about myself. Excuse me. Smiley

My point is this: if we constitute 0.4-0.07% of the population, there seems to be an abnormally high rate of incidences in my small University in a small town of less than 100,000 people. Is anyone else here abnormally gifted, talented, or endowed with extraordinary powers of intellectual prowess? If so, is this a result of our mutual condition, or is our condition a result of our genius?

Just a thought....  

May you all have a pain free day.
IP Logged
Timmi
New Board Newbie
USA 

Re: Connection: intelligence?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 2:54am »

Wow!Impressive!
 If intelligence is a factor in this thing someone forgot to tell me that I was intelligent.In fact i am so averege it's pathetic.
 Could be something to it though.I've never met another person with clusters in person.
IP Logged

it's got you now.just lie there and be it's bitch untill it leaves.
Timmi
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 2:58am »

I do well playing along with who wants to be a millionaire Wink mabey I've not lived up to my potential.
Come to think of it---the last IQ test I took on the net revealed to me that I was a"visionary philosopher".
No lies on the net right?
So I guess you are right.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2004, 3:29am by Timmi » IP Logged

it's got you now.just lie there and be it's bitch untill it leaves.
jminmilwaukee
New Board Old Timer

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 4:33am »

Athough this does not apply to all clusterheads, there does seem to be an abnormaly high number of persons with musical or creative tendacies who suffer.

Although my spelling sucks, I would consider myself to be gifted in several ways including creativity and music.  

I saw Pi several years ago and always wondered what inspired that film.  

just my 2c
jmin
IP Logged
Nimbus
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 8:27am »

If it's the case, go find me a medication that render stupid.
On a side note:
In five years  I  never encountered anyone with CH.  Them I got a new job and, surprise surprise, on 30 employees, 3 (including myself) are suffering from CH.
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 8:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well if I was smart enough to be able to read your post, I might agree with you.  Since I am an idiot, I don't know......... LMAO.
IP Logged
5-string
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Nothing is accomplished without passion

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 8:45am »

I don't know.....kind of a stretch if you ask me..
 The longer this thing lives in the shadows and does'nt show it's face......you can fill in the rest.
     Could be?.?!/?Who knows?

Hey, I got an idea...What are peoples I.Q. here?
   Mine is =136.  not so bad  

...Mark..  
IP Logged
benj
New Board Newbie
Australia 

15 year cluster vet...and counting...

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 9:17am »

deekaph, interesting idea. Surely if not connected to intelligence (which is wholly possible) then it must be something else that implies a mental proclivity. I too am a creative sonbitch being a filmmaker and don't consider myself too stupid. wonder if this is the key? Huh

if so, maybe this is why neuros won't give us the 'answer' - they are trying to keep us from toppling them off the smart tree by keeping us in the bedroom, clutching icepacks and pills?? laugh

if only....
IP Logged

I don't think of all the misery, but of all the beauty that still remains - Anne Frank
thomas

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 9:19am »

I personally think it has something to do with these damnable alien implants.........(deekaph - please don't take offense to my remarks...... too much caffeine)
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2004, 9:20am by thomas » IP Logged
benj
New Board Newbie
Australia 

15 year cluster vet...and counting...

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 9:20am »

not to mention the webbed feet....... Cool
IP Logged

I don't think of all the misery, but of all the beauty that still remains - Anne Frank
thomas

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 9:25am »

Oh and don't forget all cluster males are EXTREMELY handsome......... well except maybe for don....
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 9:28am »

Yes, there were excruciating headaches in Pi. There were also hallucinations, nose-bleeding, black-outs, and a paranormal understanding of the universe.  And the headaches were triggered by stress.  And the headaches went away at the end when the guy gave up his quest to understand the universe.  

Pi was just a story.  The headaches were a literary device, not a real medical phenomena.  And don't forget the main point of the movie - math causes headaches!  

IP Logged
toader
New Board Veteran
USA 

there were fireworks on mars

« Reply #12 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:37am »

Here comes the curve wrecker .... YABBA DABBA DOOO!!!  
 laugh laugh laugh
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #13 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:36am »

Did you consider that there has been a larger chance for intelligent people to cotton on to puters and the Internet. The curve is flattening out now, but...

With  all this anecdotal references, let's not forget this is only the english speaking Internet community we get our evidence from.

IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
LSUnut
New Board Newbie

"Evil will always win because good is dumb!!!"

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:56am »

My doc actually suggested the notion to me once upon a time, but I just blew him off.  Someone would have realized the link between the two way before now, and we'd have several journal articles at our disposal to support the idea.  It is curious, however, that I never encountered my first attack until after my second year of grad school, and my work is way more mentally demanding than it is physically.  I am a chemist (medicinal) though, so I also have to consider the fact that I get to sniff wonderful organic solvents all day long, which has also been proposed as a trigger.  Funny thing is, I don't ever recall having an attack triggered while I was setting up a reaction.  I would think that if any of the chemicals were triggers, I would get slammed as soon as I smelled the first whiff.  Oddly enough, ethanol (my favorite chemical) has never been a trigger for me either.  So, I'm willing to sacrifice myself for the good of all sufferers and continue drinking until I am sufficiently stupid  laugh.  If the headaches eventually subside, we'll finally have some proof of the genius theory.  At that point I hope I can still remember the web address for this site. Wink
IP Logged

Whoever said the fear of death is worse than death itself, obviously never suffered from cluster headaches!!!
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:15pm »

I'm a professional musician and music teacher, does that count?  
Vi
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 1:00pm »

Quote:
It is curious, however, that I never encountered my first attack until after my second year of grad school, and my work is way more mentally demanding than it is physically.

Mine also started in grad school - but I think that burning the midnight oil and being stressed over exams and papers was as much a factor as all that sitting and thinking.  Roll Eyes

Keeping mentally active seems to ward off alzheimer's disease. Maybe overexercising the brain contributes to clusters.
IP Logged
cakelady
New Board Junior
USA 

damn I don't want to be here

« Reply #17 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 1:27pm »

I'm a very creative cake designer and pastry chef.
cakesbychristine.com  
Creativity and precise formulas???????????
What does that do to the curve.
IP Logged

Pain is inevitable, misery is not.
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Cannot kill the family, Battery is found in me

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 1:42pm »

on Jan 23rd, 2004, 2:35am, deekaph wrote:
Is this our punishment for being smart or what?

Deekaph, with all due respect, I must protest this remark. Punishment?! Cluster headaches aren't a punishment. CH is a malady, a medical condition.  

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

Through water and fire. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought the Beast. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
floridian

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 3:46pm »

Quote:
Deekaph, with all due respect, I must protest this remark. Punishment?! Cluster headaches aren't a punishment. CH is a malady, a medical condition.

I don't think it is a punishment for anything specific.  But the older I get, the more I get drawn to the possiblity: the gods must be crazy.  

The secret of the universe is not in Pi, it is carefully hidden in Phi (or Tau), the Golden Ratio.   http://www.sciencesbookreview.com/The_Golden_Ratio_The_Story_of_Phi_the_ Worlds_Most_Astonishing_Number_0767908155.html

These bright young people discuss the secret of the universe:
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2004, 5:19pm by floridian » IP Logged
jminmilwaukee
New Board Old Timer

« Reply #20 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 5:35pm »

Ok Floridian, I know you must analyze the movie PI and poo poo the notion that it actuallly was a CH that the man suffered from BUT my point was it sure the hell looked like the type of pain I have experienced while having an attack. I have never seen anywhere anything that even comes close. That, dear sir, was my point. Smiley

Oh yeah, the headaches in the movie PI wen't away after he took a drill to his head if we are going to get all technical here.

One last thing, the kids in that photo are phreakin me out man. I can almost smell the brain power just by looking at it. And their eyes follow me when I move about the room....LOL!

Whatever Floridian....what ever...Smiley

jmin but you can call me jim damnet
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 6:16pm »

Ummm, what was the question again?   Grin
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
floridian

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 7:02pm »

I'm not totally poo-pooing the idea.  There are some real similarities in the movie to clusters, but I think the "Story" of the movie is more important than medical reality.  The idea of intelligence and clusters has been brought up before - I don't know that there is any real information on it.  Clusterheads do have some personality traits different from the overall population - see abstract below.  

At first I thought the drill was used for a lobotomy, but now I'm thinking maybe it was for a trigeminal nerve resection or rhizotomy.  

The picture is for deekaph - I think its his stomping grounds. (?)  

OK, here's what research I found.  Clusterhead males are more sensitive according to one study.  According to another, we are more anxiety prone, hostile, and less sucessfully socialized.  Another study not cited here found that compared to other headache sufferers, the CH group had the most abnormalities (20%) and the highest number of people completely normal (13%, whatever normal means).  Yet another study found that clusterheads were more normal than migraineurs, and migraneurs were more normal than tension headachers in terms of anxiety, socialization, etc.  I don't think there is much impetus in the academic world to find out which category of patients is smarter - that may account for the lack of research.  

Quote:
Psychol Rep. 2000 Oct; 87(2): 555-8.  Increased prevalence of sensing types in men with cluster headaches.

To ascertain whether the percentage of men who suffer with cluster headaches and are classified as sensing types according to Jung's theory of psychological types was comparable to the percentage (74%) of Sensing types that was found by Gallagher, et al. among women who experience migraine headaches, the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator was administered to 25 male cluster-headache patients. There were 19 (76%) male Sensing types, and this was comparable to the percentage of Sensing types for migrainous women. The results are discussed as supporting previous contentions that Sensing types may be prone to developing psychosomatic symptoms related to stress.

Quote:
Headache. 1992 Mar; 32(3): 119-25.  Episodic cluster headache. I: Personality and some neuropsychological characteristics in male patients.

The etiology and pathogenesis of cluster headache remain largely unknown. Some previous studies have focused on personality characteristics in cluster headache. However, no consistent personality profile has been found. The present study applied two personality inventories, the Karolinska Scales of Personality (KSP) and the Heart and Lifestyle Type A Measure (HALTAM), that have not previously been used in the context of cluster headache. A correlation has been suggested between left-handedness and early learning difficulties, and cluster headache. Thus, these variables were included and measured by inventory techniques. Forty-nine out of 51 consecutive male patients with episodic cluster headache participated in the present study. As compared to controls, the cluster headache patients were significantly more anxiety-prone (higher scores in the KSP Somatic anxiety and Muscular tension subscales), less successfully socialized (low scores in the KSP Socialization scale), and had a more hostile attitude towards others (higher scores in the HALTAM Hostility scale). No relationships between left-handedness or early learning difficulties, and cluster headache disease were found. The implications of the personality differences for the etiology of cluster headache disease are discussed.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2004, 7:08pm by floridian » IP Logged
deekaph
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #23 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 8:14pm »

As if to prove my point, I immediately recognised the picture you posted as that of my school, where the new international building is currently being erected in the place of the old observatory.  

SEE!!!! You go to my school too! Abnormally high rate of incidences! What are the freakin chances!?  

on Jan 23rd, 2004, 3:46pm, floridian wrote:

I don't think it is a punishment for anything specific.  But the older I get, the more I get drawn to the possiblity: the gods must be crazy.  

The secret of the universe is not in Pi, it is carefully hidden in Phi (or Tau), the Golden Ratio.   http://www.sciencesbookreview.com/The_Golden_Ratio_The_Story_of_Phi_the_ Worlds_Most_Astonishing_Number_0767908155.html

These bright young people discuss the secret of the universe:

That's hi
IP Logged
toader
New Board Veteran
USA 

there were fireworks on mars

« Reply #24 on: Jan 24th, 2004, 12:42pm »

or maybe you all also like chinese food?   Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss