Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 10:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Mushrooms? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Mushrooms?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mushrooms?  (Read 1958 times)
wander02
New Board Newbie
USA 

Does anybody really know what time it is?

Mushrooms?
« on: Sep 29th, 2004, 11:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone tried mushrooms and they didn't work?
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

Re: Mushrooms?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30th, 2004, 3:52am »

Everytime I've eaten mushrooms they worked.

Ever have sex on mushrooms? Fanfuckingtastic!!!
IP Logged

Chris
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30th, 2004, 3:59am »

OK... All funnies aside, I assume you are asking in relation to clusters???
I have not used mushrooms for ch. But i have eaten enough for several large pizzas... Grin

When it comes to CH nothing works for everyone. And with pscilocybin there are alot of variable factors that must be taken into account, such as detoxing, amount of dosage and timing of dosages, etc...

There are people that it hasn't worked for, but as far as I've read around here a great majority of people who are willing, find some, if not total relief.

I'll report to you when I get back in cycle because you can bet that hot spike in your head it will be the first thing I try. Wink
IP Logged

Chris
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #3 on: Sep 30th, 2004, 7:30am »

Well. yes, what Superpain said.

The ClusterBusters compiled reports, from this message board and elsewhere, and while this is completely anecdotal and unscientific, found roughly an 80 percent success rate. For episodics, the rate is about 90 percent, for chronics, down around 67 percent.

The biggest problem: some standard cluster meds appear to interfere with the shroom treatment, particularly prednisone and sumatriptan (and maybe other triptans). Unclear whether verapamil interferes, some feel it does, some feel it doesn't.

From my review of these reports, it seem generally, and not surprisingly, that the more severe the case of clusters, the more difficult it is to get the clusterbuster treament to work.  

And for some, the treartment works well enough, but the psychoactive side effects or the fear of legal and social consequences are a real problem; some who have found relief switched to other medications because of this. I count this as a failure of the CB treatment, and figure it into the 80 percent rate.  

Some ClusterBusters pay a lot of attention to the timing of doses, but I personally suspect it's not that important, as long as you leave a few days between doses when using larger-dose style treatments.

Confounding the question: many find relief for the first day or three, then find the attacks return, sometimes with a vengeance, so it seems like the treatment has failed. Then however, the attacks fade again without further treatment. 'Tis a wily Beast.

The biggest danger in the treatment is it may exacerbate certain mental illnesses.  Hallucinogens, particularly when used continually in large doses,  have triggered or worsened mental breakdowns in those prone to paranoia, schizophrenia and such.

But there is growing evidence the CB treatment can be effective in doses so small there are little or no psychoactive effects. As in all things, Your Mileage May Vary.

-tommyD
IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 30th, 2004, 8:44am »

Thank you TommyD.You have helped me make up my mind. SmileyDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
Redrum
New Board Junior
USA 

Doh!

« Reply #5 on: Sep 30th, 2004, 9:50am »

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,65025,00.html
IP Logged

It's hard to be an optimist when the glass is shattered on the floor!
fullhead
New Board Newbie
USA 

GET UP OFFA THAT THANG & DANCE TILL YOU FEEL BETTA

Moorepain  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 9:23pm »

redrum,
I've visited there AND clusterbuster.com and YOU are helping ME make up MY mind! could someone please pass the tea?  
- soon to be Disney fan
IP Logged

Thought I was the only Wacko till I found yall!
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 12:47am »

on Oct 16th, 2004, 9:23pm, fullhead wrote:

- soon to be Disney fan

No need to become "Goofy" as Micky Mouse doses often do the trick.  Grin

PF
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 7:52am »

I have not tried them yet, but am getting close.  Desperation is a great motivator.  I sure hope they work.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
Flash

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 12:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

They've been working for me since 1993.  That's 12 years.  Yes I have been hit during that time, but only when I've screwed up the treatment or been unable to obtain it.  

In 12 years I would have expected my episodes to total in excess of 24 months.  In other words I'd have lost 2 years to pain.  Thanks to the shrooms this has been reduced to 3 months... and even those could probably have been avoided.

It is hardest for shrooms to lick an episode once it has become established.
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 12:51am »

on Oct 17th, 2004, 7:52am, Biker wrote:
Desperation is a great motivator.

Ay god, if there's one thing I know, it's desperation.

Chew a few,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #11 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 9:22am »

Nope. Was too scared to.... Embarassed
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

marcus
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 3:44pm »

Hi, I'm new here.  I've been reading the posts for a couple of weeks and this is such a Godsend.  I have suffered for 15 years now, chronicly.

I had some ?s bout the shrooms.  Me and my wife have been talking about traveling to the Virgin Islands or Amsterdamm to get some.  Probably the Islands since the cost will be cheaper.  Can I go to the US Virgin Islands or only the British ones?  Also, do I need to claim the spores when I go through customs?  If I do, what do I tell them?

In His Love,
Marcus
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #13 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 4:14pm »

on Oct 18th, 2004, 3:44pm, marcus wrote:
Hi, I'm new here.  I've been reading the posts for a couple of weeks and this is such a Godsend.  I have suffered for 15 years now, chronicly.

I had some ?s bout the shrooms.  Me and my wife have been talking about traveling to the Virgin Islands or Amsterdamm to get some.  Probably the Islands since the cost will be cheaper.  Can I go to the US Virgin Islands or only the British ones?  Also, do I need to claim the spores when I go through customs?  If I do, what do I tell them?

In His Love,
Marcus

No need to travel... You can have them shipped. Easier, less expensive and safer I would think... But if you do, I sure as hell wouldn't claim them! Shocked
IP Logged

Chris
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 4:32pm »

I have suffered for 15 years now, chronicly.

well thats a long time. I'm sure you're pretty tired.

Can I go to the US Virgin Islands or only the British ones?  

I'm not sure but I do know there is at least one person that makes yearly trips to an island. He'll probably show up and give you a guided tour with pictures.  

Also, do I need to claim the spores when I go through customs?  If I do, what do I tell them?

The only reason to go to the islands (besides the beaches and scenery) is to eat the shrooms there.

If you are going to go the grow route, you can order spores online and have them show up on your doorstep. They are legal to order in 48 states and yours is one of those.

Unless you plan on staying in the islands a couple of weeks, I would suggest, since you are chronic, that growing a supply to break the cycle is probably your best bet. For follow-up doses the islands sound nice.
breaking a chronic cycle often takes more than two doses, but not always. You can get 2 doses in 5 days there but if you need a third, you'd need 10 days in the sun. You wouldn't know until after the 2nd dose, at the earliest, how long you'd need to stay.

Not to burst your bubble or your chance to get away but honestly I would suggest growing your own this time to break the cycle. Make sure you have enough time and supply to continue the treatment once you start it.

Unless of course you can stay as long as needed. In that case, call your travel agent! Be sure to read all the information first whichever way you go.

best of luck
PF
IP Logged

[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
marcus
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 4:39pm »

Pinkfloyd,

Thanks for the info.  After 15 years, I have to admit, I am exhausted.  I'm sure you can relate.

I will look into the ordering online.  Can you point me in the direction I should go to do that?  The beast should be knocking on my door early next year, does that buy me enough time?

I may still consider visiting the islands for a break as well as maybe when my CHs come and be able to medicate them down there.  Guess I can't think of better place to be in pain.  Cheesy

In His Love,
Marcus
IP Logged
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 4:55pm »

on Oct 18th, 2004, 4:39pm, marcus wrote:
 Can you point me in the direction I should go to do that?

Go to the clusterbusters website, click on the FAQ link and scroll down to the procurement section. (read as you go Wink There are some suppliers links there.   www.clusterbusters.com

on Oct 18th, 2004, 4:39pm, marcus wrote:
The beast should be knocking on my door early next year, does that buy me enough time?

Ok, well now, one of us is a bit confused. If you are not in a cycle now then you aren't chronic. Chronic does not mean you get cycles every year. It means you are in one LONG cycle. Basically clusters every day for years on end. No breaks like the one you are on.
This is not to say that getting them as often as you do is not a terrible thing to live with, it is. It just means among other things, that they might be easier to break.
Easier yet to avoid the next cycle. One dose might keep you from the next scheduled cycle and strategically spaced maintenance doses may keep them away for good.  
A trip to the islands is looking better with every post.

PF

IP Logged

[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
marcus
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 5:01pm »

Oh ok, I thought chronic meant on a regular bases.  I get them like between 15 months and 18 months apart.  I guess that is considered regularly and not chronicly?  

Thank you for the link, any help works at this point and I'm not familiar with doing this.  I'm just tired and willing to try anything.  My wife isn't thrilled about it but she doesn't want to have to see me in the pain anymore.  

In His Love,
Marcus
IP Logged
JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wide open till you see God, then brake

Email

« Reply #18 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 5:43pm »

Are my eye's deciving me??? Are you talkin SHROOOMS or just shrooms (like I buy at safeway)? Wouldn't that make for a tough or fun day at work, how about dinner at moms? I can just see myself in a meeting as I feel the beast approch " er ..ah excuse me gentlemen but I have a headache coming on so if you'd give just a moment to eat these little presents from heaven I'll be with you in a minute or so......by the way, does anyone have any phish or dead we can put on the intercom???
IP Logged

" It's been my experience that people who have no vices have very little virtues."
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #19 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 6:03pm »

on Oct 18th, 2004, 5:43pm, JeffB wrote:
Are my eye's deciving me??? Are you talkin SHROOOMS or just shrooms (like I buy at safeway)? Wouldn't that make for a tough or fun day at work, how about dinner at moms? I can just see myself in a meeting as I feel the beast approch " er ..ah excuse me gentlemen but I have a headache coming on so if you'd give just a moment to eat these little presents from heaven I'll be with you in a minute or so......by the way, does anyone have any phish or dead we can put on the intercom???

I had a very similar reaction because of preconceived notions based upon my own recreational use in the past but it appears to be an extremely valid treatment that is done in a very systematic way. Very similar to the way we take any other meds or the way certain meds are "tapered" it's intersting reading and might be worth a shot
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Flash

Email

« Reply #20 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 6:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Oct 18th, 2004, 5:43pm, JeffB wrote:
I can just see myself in a meeting as I feel the beast approch " er ..ah excuse me gentlemen but I have a headache coming on so if you'd give just a moment to eat these little presents from heaven I'll be with you in a minute or so......by the way, does anyone have any phish or dead we can put on the intercom???

Shrooms are episode aborters, or cycle breakers as opposed to headache abortives.  The can also be used as preventative medicine to prevent entire episodes as opposed to individual attacks.

Recent feedback indicates that much smaller doses (with no trippy side effects) than we originally thought, taken much more frequently than we originally thought may constitute a viable treatment plan.  If this turns out to be correct then it makes this treatment feasible for every clusterhead - even those that fear hallucinogenic drugs.
IP Logged
AlanG
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

alangeisdorf  
Email

« Reply #21 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 10:22pm »

Maybe I should at least try this, its got to be better than 1/2 a 5th bottle of whiskey a night.  thats one reason why I havent been here much for the last several months...been too darned drunk to type. when you find your self in desparate places maybe its best to look at alternative methods and if there is valid evidence to show relief or to break a cycle then I think its worth looking into. besides alcohol takes a toll on the body and I know im gona have to find something else besides a 5th of whiskey.
 man, the things we get driven to out of desparation.  by the way ive heard you laugh alot after having mushrooms...cool  I could do with some big smile on my face and a chuckle in my belly.
 Alan G
IP Logged
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: Oct 19th, 2004, 5:52am »

Alochol to avoid CH??????   Your a lucky one.   I have found that one shot of any  kind of alochol, or even a beer will trigger an attack.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
JJA
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #23 on: Oct 19th, 2004, 8:36am »

Alan G,

I would take shrooms over alcohol any day.  They're as nonaddicting as a drug can be, much less addictive than alcohol (I would say they're nonaddicting period, but I don't want to excite the anti-drug enthusiasts).  They're not nearly as bad for your health as alcohol.  And the best part, they knock the headaches into oblivion for most CH'ers.  The only downside is their legal status.(There's no common sense in the drug war).

Jesse
IP Logged

Is it illegal because it's dangerous or is it dangerous because it's illegal? Our drug laws are ruining lives.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Oct 19th, 2004, 9:48am »

Quote:
The only downside is their legal status

There's a little more than that.  For me they caused a good deal of anxiety, chills, tremors and after four doses, didn't put a dent in my cluster attacks.

They do seem to be effective for a lot of people and are definately worth a try though.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss