Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:20am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Tordol »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Tordol
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Tordol  (Read 7321 times)
angel-ache
New Board Newbie
USA 

heaven cries too

lalanlalaland1977  
WWW Email

Tordol
« on: Oct 23rd, 2004, 6:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Not sure if I spelled it right.  I not really here for a spelling lesson.

Anyways, when I go to the ER, everytime they give me a tordol shot after about 10 minutes or more of being there.  Has anyone else had this non narcotic anti-inflamitory shot before.  

Is it a waste, or should I get a higher dosage?  I don't know how much they gave me.  I don't feel anybetter after the shot, I think the tordol prolongs my pain.  I don't think I like it.

Curious  Angela
IP Logged

"We gather strength from sadness and from pain. Each time we die we learn to live again." Unknown Author
don

Email

Re: Tordol
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23rd, 2004, 6:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
I don't feel anybetter after the shot,

Let me think on this one. (1 second) Yup, it's a waste.
IP Logged
kimh
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

What don't kill ya makes ya stronger

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 23rd, 2004, 6:57pm »

That's the needle they stick in ya that don't work, rite? Grin
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 23rd, 2004, 7:10pm »

Angela

I just looked up Tordol because I didn't know it and it said "for moderately severe pain"

Many things I have called CH pain, but "moderately severe " is not one of them!

Wendy
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 23rd, 2004, 7:13pm »

Ketorolac 30mg=Toradol 60mg

It's currrently my first (of 4) abortive medications. BTW ... It's not a narcotic.

Unsolved
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23rd, 2004, 11:51pm »

Torodol by itself won't do anything for me and demerol by itself wont do anything for me but together they will reduce the pain a little bit.  I usually get 4mg of dialaudid and that knocks the ha out for the day if not a little longer
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
kimh
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

What don't kill ya makes ya stronger

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 24th, 2004, 1:13am »

These types of combos encountered usually in the "red alert" stage of a cluster attack do not really "knock out" anything except "you"..........eventually.

i remember signing myself out of the er.....the nurse was so chipper saying how i was "all betta" now.  I druggedly looked at her and felt like some sad dawg.  I remember DISTINCTLY saying thanks but i know "it" will only come back again later.........i felt so helpless then...and the nurse had NO CLUE what i was talkingabout.  Still depresses me to this day that most medical staff to date is CLUELESS STILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged
angel-ache
New Board Newbie
USA 

heaven cries too

lalanlalaland1977  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 24th, 2004, 5:26pm »

BTW unsolved 1- I wrote that tordol was a non-narcotic.  I was happier to recieve it because it wasn't a knock-me-out drug.  

I am interested in knowing if it works for anyone, because I wasn't getting any relief from the shot.  I am hoping I could save myself some money, wasting a shot in the ass every visit.  

IP Logged

"We gather strength from sadness and from pain. Each time we die we learn to live again." Unknown Author
don

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 24th, 2004, 8:27pm »

1. It's a waste of money.

2. You dont feel any better.

3. You were getting no relief.

4. It prolongs the pain.

Why on Gods earth would you allow them to give it to you in the future? Who gives a fuck what it does or doesn't do for someone else.
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 12:20am »

I agree with Don that it is a waste of money although it has helped me with some of my Kip2's !!  he he he

2 mg of Stadol helps up to about a Kip5.
3 mg of Stadol helps up to about a Kip6.

Anything above that needs an Imitrex injection (for me)

Unsolved
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 8:19am »

Several years ago Tordol was suggested as a treatment for cluster but it dropped from sight quickly--clearly not effective. It's a wonderful drug for use post-surgery but your ER docs are not up to date.

Have you ever asked for Imitrex injection?  

But the ER is not an adequate substitute for finding a good doc with experience in treating headache.

If you are forced to use ER, ask them for a trial of this med. It's pretty effective for some.

1: Headache 2001 Sep;41(Cool:813-6  

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. The initial olanzapine dose was 5 mg, and the dose was increased to 10 mg if there was no pain relief. The dosage was decreased to 2.5 mg if the 5-mg dose was effective but caused adverse effects. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and two patients became headache-free after taking the drug. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. It alleviates pain quickly and has a consistent response across multiple treated attacks. It appears to work in both episodic and chronic cluster headache.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #11 on: Oct 30th, 2004, 11:36am »

Tordol, dialaudid and compazine are my usual ER cocktail.  Then after I WAKE UP.  i dont have my HA anymore but yes. The beast always comes back!!!

At home its Zomig, and Stadol for me.

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 30th, 2004, 4:57pm »

Toradol may offer some short term relief,but not known to help a true CH.Another thing,it will make toast of your kidneys twocentsDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
becky8

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 7:22pm »

Yea, right. Tordol crap, yesterday in the ER treating me for my little head problem as I sat there swaying and sobbing they gave me Tordol until I starting screaming" I want to talk to MY DOCTOR NOW"!!! the little nursey went on and on about her migranes and I just said these aren't like your migraines. Finally my Dr. called and first they talked to him and then I sobbed into the phone "They don't understand " and He said yes I know and then they brought me demorol and something else and I slept from 10:00am to 5:00am today. Guess they really wanted to knock me out!!!!
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #14 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 7:31pm »

Toradol shots worked for my severe TMJ, didn't do a damn thing for CH. Wendy- demerol won't help a CH, but at least you slept. My last ER visit they gave me 2 shots of morphine/phenergan (the doc said he knew it wouldn't help the pain, but maybe it could knock me out), didn't even blink... for about 10 minutes after the first shot, I felt a little fuzzy. That was it.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
becky8

Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 8:59pm »

Wow, Nani you're one tuff cookie. I don't what was mixed with demerol but I was out like a light and for almost 24 hours and IT FELT GOOD!!!! I think they thought I was really flipping out ( I guess I was!!!) I don't really care what that DR who didnt know jack thinks. They turned off the light and said try to rest and I lost all control!!!
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #16 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 9:48pm »

Quote:
Wow, Nani you're one tuff cookie.

No, I'm actually a pathetic loser- who not only can resist sleep on, but can't even get a decent buzz on an OPIATE!
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss