Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 3:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New to Meds!?! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   New to Meds!?!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New to Meds!?!  (Read 570 times)
ClusterCowboy
New Board Newbie
USA 

Whoa...what a ride!

337743153 337743153   beavers_bottom   jeff46176
Email

New to Meds!?!
« on: Nov 12th, 2004, 1:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Huh
I was only diagnosed 2 years ago with CH...Just 2 days ago experienced O2...Man, what a relief!

How do I get hooked-up with a personal O2 unit?  I assume my family doc?

I have also read about auto injectors of Imitrex...please explain...

Thanx,
Jeff
IP Logged

If I don't learn something new every day...I've been cheated!
PerryGR
New Board Veteran
Greece 

pekam_gr  
Email

Re: New to Meds!?!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 5:10am »

Hello ClusterCowboy,

Welcome to the board- sorry you have to be here though.

O2 is great! I'm glad it's working for you. As far as i know (from what i've read on this board) O2 can be prescribed even by a GP- things are quite different around here so i can't be sure. I'm sure though a US sufferer will be around shortly to clear this up.

As far as Imitrex is concerned, it's a drug that contains a triptan (sumatriptan) used to abort individual attacks (like O2). It is important that along with a reliable abortive you need to find a suitable for you preventative (if your case calls for one). It's something you'll have to decide with your doctor.  

Here are a few links that might help clear up matters with meds:  
http://www.headachedrugs.com/archives/preventivemeds.html

http://www.mhni.com/faqs_cluster.html#treatment

http://www.upstate.edu/neurology/haas/hpclrx.htm

http://www.future-drugs.com/admin/articlefile/ERN020304.pdf

Good luck on finding relief.

PFDAN to all,
Perry.
IP Logged

Haven't posted in a while so let me re-introduce myself... Male, 25y.o., CCH sufferer for a little bit more than 5 years. Verapamil and Lithium seem to work well at the moment.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 7:14am »

Young Perry is very wise and extremeley articulate!!!

Hey Jeff...Good advice given above.

Oxygen can be perscribed by your doctor for home and travel (portable tanks for car,office, etc. if you choose)   depending on how decent your insurance is. Sometimes we get the run around and have to build our own set ups. It is important that you get the proper mask to use and a good high flow http://www.headachesupportgroups.com/oxygen/oxygen.htm

Imitrex Stat-dose are the auto injectors....These are syrunges of the med that get loaded into a "pen" that will "shoot" it into ya by hitting a button. Split second.

The only problem we find is that like with many things insurance usually provides small amounts of this medication and we tend to have many headaches.
also the autoinjector will automatically provide 6mg of the med when all you might need is 3 to get relief or less. also common....So if you can get vials instead it is easier or we'll teach you the "trex tip" to extend the meds and break it down into smaller doses.....

Wishing you the best!!!

Stay strong, be prepared the best you can by arming yourself with information and proper treatment plan for you. We're all different so what works for me may not for you. Be positive...it will pass.

E.
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2004, 7:15am by E-Double » IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
ClusterCowboy
New Board Newbie
USA 

Whoa...what a ride!

337743153 337743153   beavers_bottom   jeff46176
Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 10:05pm »

on Nov 12th, 2004, 7:14am, E-Double wrote:
Young Perry is very wise and extremeley articulate!!!

Hey Jeff...Good advice given above.

Oxygen can be perscribed by your doctor for home and travel (portable tanks for car,office, etc. if you choose)   depending on how decent your insurance is. Sometimes we get the run around and have to build our own set ups. It is important that you get the proper mask to use and a good high flow http://www.headachesupportgroups.com/oxygen/oxygen.htm

Imitrex Stat-dose are the auto injectors....These are syrunges of the med that get loaded into a "pen" that will "shoot" it into ya by hitting a button. Split second.

The only problem we find is that like with many things insurance usually provides small amounts of this medication and we tend to have many headaches.
also the autoinjector will automatically provide 6mg of the med when all you might need is 3 to get relief or less. also common....So if you can get vials instead it is easier or we'll teach you the "trex tip" to extend the meds and break it down into smaller doses.....

Wishing you the best!!!

Stay strong, be prepared the best you can by arming yourself with information and proper treatment plan for you. We're all different so what works for me may not for you. Be positive...it will pass.

E.

Thanks for the advice...Imitrex works well for me in the ER, but...the pills aren't worth a S#!%.  The 6mg. injection takes effect quickly, the 50mg. pill dose took 1 1/2 hours to take effect last night during an attack.  That Sucks!  I have an appointment 11/15/04 with the family doc...I'm going to check into the auto-injctor and O2 then...insurance is pretty good, hopefully they'll see the need I feel that I have!
Jeff
IP Logged

If I don't learn something new every day...I've been cheated!
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14th, 2004, 12:33am »

on Nov 12th, 2004, 10:05pm, ClusterCowboy wrote:
insurance is pretty good, hopefully they'll see the need I feel that I have!

"They" won't feel anything. "They'll" just look at the bottom line. That Trex is neat stuff. So is O2. Get all you can, whenever you can. Things can go awry at any moment.

Ya just never know,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Ruth
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 14th, 2004, 9:27am »

The insurance I have has been great, I have used the imitrex and O2 this past cycle.
I use the imitex tip on the left of the screen. Both work well for me, but I didn't find a prevent that worked well for me.
Welcome aboard and good luck to you.
Ruth
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss